By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: In Theory: Could Sony produce a PS4 Switch-style console hybrid?

Aeolus451 said:
 The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games 

This statement (as it is) is false. 

If you modified your statement with one word, it might be true. 



Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

But why would Sony want to? Currently, their 5 years old console is outselling a 1 year old console WW. Clearly more people want their traditional console than want a hybrid. Perhaps Nintendo should make a traditional console. That makes more sense. 

Don't sales of most consoles (and most other consumer e lectronics) resemble a normal curve? If that is the case then PS4 being in the middle of its life should be close to its peak sales and Switch should still be climbing. 



PS4 in the form of laptop, PS4Pro-Backwards (720p Station Portable), several configurations being impractical for developers etc, are some of the things I've thought about.

Since a laptop form is pretty much expensive and pointless, I'd say a 720p-Station Portable is the least unrealistic option. But assuming this even becomes technologically possible in the near future, Sony would have to contact all third party publishers, gain some access to their data, and create a studio specifically for patching existing third party games down to 720p, which if I'm correct would be kinda similar to what MS does to achieve BC on Xbox ONE (in the sense that they both tweak third party content to run on their offshoot hardware.)

All in all, it's pretty obvious that PS4 won't be getting a portable form, even if it isn't impossible per se.



sc94597 said:
Aeolus451 said:
 The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games 

This statement (as it is) is false. 

If you modified your statement with one word, it might be true. 

It is true. Where are the majority of 3rd party games? No Far Cry 5? Where are the games? Down graded ports of a handful of games don't really count for much.



Please, not if it replaces the traditional model. I don't want to pay more for a system with more compromises.

If Sony ever ventures into handheld gaming again, it should be when technology is mature enough that they can create a separate handheld or hybrid sku that shares a library with the base home console unit.



Around the Network
collint0101 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

But why would Sony want to? Currently, their 5 years old console is outselling a 1 year old console WW. Clearly more people want their traditional console than want a hybrid. Perhaps Nintendo should make a traditional console. That makes more sense. 

The switch is doing numbers that are comparable to the PS4 within the same timeframe after it's launch so there's no reason for them to make a traditional console. Comparing the sales of a 5 year old console with multiple price drops and a large library to a relatively new release isn't fair and chances are 3 years from now when the ps5 is new and the switch is $200 and 4 years old it's going to be the one outdoing Sony's machine. 

Just want to point out that I think PS4 has had one price drop, rather than multiple. Aside from deals here and there.
In Sep 2015 it dropped to ¥34,980 in Japan. The RPP for the main PS4 SKU on Amazon Jp is still ¥34,000 almost 3 years later.

And in the west, the Last of Us bundle for a standard 500GB PS4 is $400.

Last edited by Hiku - on 13 May 2018

I'd love to have a "PS4 Go" to go with my PS4 Pro.

But I won't be holding my breath.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

sc94597 said:
Aeolus451 said:
 The NS is too weak to play current gen playstation/xbox games 

This statement (as it is) is false. 

If you modified your statement with one word, it might be true. 

Taking a current gen game and dialing it back to last gen doesn't mean it's running current gen.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

it can be something similar, Sony just need to do a PS4 lite with less specs in order to be a PS4 portable able to play PS4 games. And obviously it would be sold separately.

Just like there is a patch for games to run from the original PS4 in order to use PRO capabilities, they would also have to do a patch in order to run on the "PS4GO"



Hiku said:
collint0101 said:

The switch is doing numbers that are comparable to the PS4 within the same timeframe after it's launch so there's no reason for them to make a traditional console. Comparing the sales of a 5 year old console with multiple price drops and a large library to a relatively new release isn't fair and chances are 3 years from now when the ps5 is new and the switch is $200 and 4 years old it's going to be the one outdoing Sony's machine. 

Just want to point out that I think PS4 has had one price drop, rather than multiple. Aside from deals here and there.
In Sep 2015 it dropped to ¥34,980 in Japan. The RPP for the main PS4 SKU on Amazon Jp is still ¥34,000 almost 3 years later.

And in the west, the Last of Us bundle for a standard 500GB PS4 is $400.

PS4 has had two price drops in the US. In late 2015, it received a $50 price cut (price reduced to $349) and with the introduction of PS4 Slim the price was further dropped to $299. In addition, the non-permanenet deals (such as the $200 Slim during November of 2017; $250 Star Wars bundle of December of 2017) all helped to substantially increase sales for the system in those respective periods.

As for Japan, it is true that the last official major price cut for the stand alone system was in 2015 which reduced the price to ¥34,000. However, since the Switch launch most retailers (at least online going by Bic, Amazon, and Yodobashi) have been selling the PS4 at the RRP for the Switch (¥32,378), with some retailers (namely Amazon) going lower. For example, the Amazon listing you posted has the price at ¥34,000, but upon clicking the listing, the actual price is listed as ¥ 30,895 which was already down from ¥32,378 (which is odd considering the system is out of stock).