By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Metroid Prime 4 will have realistic graphics?

What do you think?

Yes 19 24.05%

I hope so 17 21.52%

No 20 25.32%

I hope not 12 15.19%

I don't care, just give m... 11 13.92%

Total:79

Metroid Prime games always had very detailed visuals, but none of them was released on a HD console. The Wii U was Nintendo first console to have HD graphics, but unfortunately it didn't receive a Metroid Prime game, so we never had the chance to see what it would look like in a more capable console than GCN and Wii.

As we all know, the Switch is considerably weaker than PS4 and XB1, but it's still considerably stronger than the Wii U, which was much stronger than the Wii. That didn't stop the Switch of having it fair share of realistic looking games, like Doom, NBA 2k18 and L.A. Noire remaster, with Wolfenstein II and ARK coming as well. They are all downgraded ports of course, but they still look good.

My point is that even with the Switch not being able to push the same graphics as PS4/XB1, it can still run games with high detailed graphics, and it's a gigantic improvement in power over Wii and 3DS, so I'm confident that Metroid Prime 4 on will look vastly superior to Metroid Prime 3, with realistic graphics in the vein of other current gen AAA games, hopefully with a great art direction, so it don't look dull.

Edit: When I say realistic, I don't necessarily mean photorealistic graphics, like Crysis, which by the way would also be possible on Switch. It can be  realistic but also stylized, like the previous Metroid Prime games.

Last edited by Masked_Muchaco - on 11 May 2018

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Around the Network

I guess it depends on where the line is drawn between stylized and 'realistic'. Metroid Prime beautifully  blended surreal environments with a tone of dread in a more realistic sense, and as long as Prime 4 does that I can't complain. 

Thanks for putting this fear into me. I had never even thought about them pulling a BOTW on our asses and giving us the first semi-cellshaded Metroid Prime. God, if they do that I'm gonna rage. If the Gamecube can pull of realistic graphics, the damn Switch should be no problem.

Speaking above the obvious, I think it should look like an improvement over the first three games, while still retaining their overall tone.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Given how poorly the Switch handles Doom, I don't have high hopes.
Sub 720p, sub 30FPS, in a linear FPS.
Yeah.

Creating complex, realistic environments on the Switch, will be a nightmare for the developers.

Around the Network

I don't think it will be stylized to the extent that something like BOTW was, but more so than your typical FPS. Prime 1 was itself more stylized than the other shooters of the day, but nothing even close to WW or Mario.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

mZuzek said:
caffeinade said:
Given how poorly the Switch handles Doom, I don't have high hopes.
Sub 720p, sub 30FPS, in a linear FPS.
Yeah.

Creating complex, realistic environments on the Switch, will be a nightmare for the developers.

Now look at Prime 1 or 2 and tell me again how that could run on a GameCube at 60fps.

Comparing it to Doom is total nonsense. Doom was a game made for more powerful platforms, that had to be downgraded to run on the Switch. It's nothing like a game built for the system from the ground-up, because a game made for a system from the ground up is built around the limitations of its hardware. Prime 4 doesn't need crazy high-end graphics to look realistic.

Yeah. If Wii U can handle Zelda Breath of the Wild, which is a surrealistic game, but one that features an enormous open world with realistic physics, Switch should be able to pull a realistic looking Metroid Prime 4. I mean, even PS3 and 360 had their share of realistic games:

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Its really hard to tell at this point, but its almost certain it will be 60 fps game.

I would rather it be 30fps and look amazing. Some 30fps games look really smooth if the frame pacing is on point like In uncharted 4. If anything, leave the 60fps for the multiplayer. Most of the best looking games on a console Come later in the lifecycle. most of these switch exclusives probably started life out as a Wii U game honestly ( Mario and Zelda). this would be one of the first built from the ground up switch exclusives I think

I feel like this is going to be the big technical show piece for the switch. I just have a hunch that this is going to set the bar for realistic graphics on the platform. Doom and Wolfenstein are impressive and I would say Outlast 2 and Bayonetta 2 also deserve a mention but none of those games were built from the ground up for the switch