By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA with PS4/Xbox One install base estimates

eva01beserk said:
RolStoppable said:

By now it has already been figured out that EA excludes sales from Japan, so the discrepancy of 5-6m is not due to the Xbox One being severely overtracked on VGC, it's because EA doesn't count 73.6m PS4s, but rather only the ~68m that have been sold outside of Japan. So no, there's no difference between units sold and installed base in this specific case.

Of course it's no coincidence that everyone who still concludes that the Xbox One's sales are ~30m by the end of 2017 is from the PlayStation camp.

While under 30m is to low for sure, we can be sure is not over 37m like vgc has it. We can be sure is overtracked here. How much we cant say, but Im sure gona trust EA over vgc to be closer to the real number. Like don said, unless MS or AMD say something to the contrary.

You miss the point fml

Installbase doesnt equal units sold

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
RolStoppable said:

By now it has already been figured out that EA excludes sales from Japan, so the discrepancy of 5-6m is not due to the Xbox One being severely overtracked on VGC, it's because EA doesn't count 73.6m PS4s, but rather only the ~68m that have been sold outside of Japan. So no, there's no difference between units sold and installed base in this specific case.

Of course it's no coincidence that everyone who still concludes that the Xbox One's sales are ~30m by the end of 2017 is from the PlayStation camp.

While under 30m is to low for sure, we can be sure is not over 37m like vgc has it. We can be sure is overtracked here. How much we cant say, but Im sure gona trust EA over vgc to be closer to the real number. Like don said, unless MS or AMD say something to the contrary.

37m is the number tracked after4 months into 2018 on here, VGC had it at 35.5m at end of 2017 which is pretty much the same estimate EA has.

shikamaru317 said:
Aeolus451 said:
I rather take EA's word on the install base over npd or a forum user's estimates.

Zhuge is not just a forum user, he he an Admin on ResetEra and works in the gaming industry for a tracking firm last I checked. 

resetera? You mean that geogaf clone? Okay, he's an admin for a forum and he works for a tracking firm. Yeah, I'm betting that EA has better info.

RolStoppable said:
Hiku said: 

That's a very strange way to count. Couldn't it be that since they are talking about install base, they're somehow excluding people who buy multiple versions of a console? But I'm not sure how they would estimate that. If I have a PS4 and buy a Pro, I can chose to use my existing PSN account, or create a new one for the Pro. I can also make multiple accounts on the same console. So I'm trying to wrap my head around how they're estimating the install base.

It isn't a new way to count for EA though. Since they don't know how to sell in Japan, they pretend it doesn't exist.

Highly speculative.

Aeolus451 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Zhuge is not just a forum user, he he an Admin on ResetEra and works in the gaming industry for a tracking firm last I checked. 

resetera? You mean that geogaf clone? Okay, he's an admin for a forum and he works for a tracking firm. Yeah, I'm betting that EA has better info.

Seeing as the tracking firm provides EA their data

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
eva01beserk said:

You miss the point fml

Installbase doesnt equal units sold

according to who? Has EA clarified anything about what it means? Or that it doesn't count japan?  Right now you guys are just speculating to fit your numbers. 

Again, I dont think is as low as EA makes it sound, but until they clarify, or AMD or MS, that's  as official as we can get cuz they are above VGC. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

WoodenPints said:
eva01beserk said:

37m is the number tracked after4 months into 2018 on here, VGC had it at 35.5m at end of 2017 which is pretty much the same estimate EA has.

Again, according to who? zhuge? Im sure we are to hear something pretty soon. I say we give it a little more time until we hear some pr clarification. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

MS said the numbers are inaccurate.https://mspoweruser.com/ea-suggests-that-microsoft-sold-around-30-million-xbox-one-consoles-by-the-end-of-2017/
“The projections are inaccurate,” a spokesperson told Variety. “Regardless, we are focused on delivering amazing gaming experiences to players on all devices and engagement is our measure of progress. We just announced a record start to the year with Xbox Live monthly active users up 13% to 59 million.”

jason1637 said:
MS said the numbers are inaccurate.https://mspoweruser.com/ea-suggests-that-microsoft-sold-around-30-million-xbox-one-consoles-by-the-end-of-2017/
“The projections are inaccurate,” a spokesperson told Variety. “Regardless, we are focused on delivering amazing gaming experiences to players on all devices and engagement is our measure of progress. We just announced a record start to the year with Xbox Live monthly active users up 13% to 59 million.”

O now everything is cleared up. 😒

RolStoppable said:
Errorist76 said:

Highly speculative.

You mean perfectly logical.

That is not logical because it's like saying EA doesn't make money on properties in the region.  Even as speculation for deals in Japan.  At the very least they wouldn't assert the entire volume of PS4s as a function of their business.   Unless they are really taking active consoles into account.   You can just make sales disappear from someone else's count.