By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA with PS4/Xbox One install base estimates

jason1637 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Didn't EA "estimate" 19.4 million at the end of 2016? We know the xbox one has sold around 8.5 million units in the following 2 years thanks to the npd in just the us. The ratio was about 60:40 then, what makes you think sales in the rest of the world just stopped?

EA estimate for XBO at the end of 2016 was between 25.6m.

Meant 2015.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

That forum user is not talking about installbase which is something 99% of the users here missed but about units sold. So for their percieved installbase EA knows best, but otherwise your wrong that user > EA 

By now it has already been figured out that EA excludes sales from Japan, so the discrepancy of 5-6m is not due to the Xbox One being severely overtracked on VGC, it's because EA doesn't count 73.6m PS4s, but rather only the ~68m that have been sold outside of Japan. So no, there's no difference between units sold and installed base in this specific case.

Of course it's no coincidence that everyone who still concludes that the Xbox One's sales are ~30m by the end of 2017 is from the PlayStation camp.

Really don't understand why some people have to try and continue to push the narrative when there is overwhelming evidence the numbers are wrong. There's no way the xbox one sold negative units worldwide last year, and there's no way us sales remained stable yet fell to almost 0 everywhere else.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

So Microsoft have come out themselves saying that the EA estimates are wrong. So we are back to where we were before this thread, - our own best estimates. So why are we still trying to continue on with this assumption and convince ourselves that is is correct?

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

DonFerrari said: If you only care about games that are target to USA ok, but if you want the diverse IPs them you are in trouble.

I own all three, so I don't have such troubles. 

3sexty said:

So Microsoft have come out themselves saying that the EA estimates are wrong. So we are back to where we were before this thread, - our own best estimates. So why are we still trying to continue on with this assumption and convince ourselves that is is correct?

If we can't argue over how many times the pieces of plastic that we own have sold, how are we to judge our own self worth? 

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
RolStoppable said:

You mean perfectly logical.

That is not logical because it's like saying EA doesn't make money on properties in the region.  Even as speculation for deals in Japan.  At the very least they wouldn't assert the entire volume of PS4s as a function of their business.   Unless they are really taking active consoles into account.   You can just make sales disappear from someone else's count.

Out of 33.8 million units of software sold in japan in 2017 ea sold 170k with fifa and star wars its a niche market for them. I could see why they would exclude japan. Since the installbase in japan isnt their target installbase

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

AlfredoTurkey said:
DonFerrari said: If you only care about games that are target to USA ok, but if you want the diverse IPs them you are in trouble.

You aren't the market, but ok.

and @MS saying the numbers aren't accurate, who would guess they wouldn't say the right numbers right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

You aren't the market, but ok.

and @MS saying the numbers aren't accurate, who would guess they wouldn't say the right numbers right?

goshdarn EA gives an estimate and we pray hossana, MS says those are wrong and MS is the devil.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

AlfredoTurkey said:
3sexty said:

If we can't argue over how many times the pieces of plastic that we own have sold, how are we to judge our own self worth? 

That is an amazing comment. 

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

jason1637 said:
MS said the numbers are inaccurate.https://mspoweruser.com/ea-suggests-that-microsoft-sold-around-30-million-xbox-one-consoles-by-the-end-of-2017/
“The projections are inaccurate,” a spokesperson told Variety. “Regardless, we are focused on delivering amazing gaming experiences to players on all devices and engagement is our measure of progress. We just announced a record start to the year with Xbox Live monthly active users up 13% to 59 million.”

It doesn’t matter what MS says unless they finally release some numbers, cowardly snakes that they are. This statement sounds just like another deception, nothing more.

Those XBox Live numbers mean nothing, since they count every PC user that has made an account in there.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 11 May 2018