By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA with PS4/Xbox One install base estimates

CosmicSex said:
Xbox One will be outsold by Switch. Its ridiculous to think that we have more Info than EA. At the very least we can say that Microsoft has gone out of its way to hide the numbers from us. EA isn't going to lie to its investors. The have much more reliable information than we do.

It's not lying. Just that their estimates are wrong. 

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
thismeintiel said:

I do wonder how ZhugeEX has all the numbers to be able to give an accurate sell through (or were his numbers shipped?) We already have Japan's numbers thanks to Media Create, and we know he gets NPD numbers. We do have a tracker for much of EU, but not sure if he actually gets those numbers. Where does he get the others? Could it be that his estimates for those not tracked are overestimated. Personally, I would believe a huge partner like EA, since they undoubtedly get most of the info, and probably talk to MS themselves about consoles shipped/sold when preparing to make a marketing deal. 

If these numbers are true, then around 80% of xbox sales would have to come from America alone...

Well, yeah. America is definitely buying way more X1's than any other country. Even if we go by VGChartz estimates.

CosmicSex said:
Xbox One will be outsold by Switch. Its ridiculous to think that we have more Info than EA. At the very least we can say that Microsoft has gone out of its way to hide the numbers from us. EA isn't going to lie to its investors. The have much more reliable information than we do.

From what we can infer when MS goes there to pitch an exclusive deal they probably have to tell how much active consoles there is or how many they sold. Nowhere it would make sense to say "hey EA do this exclusive marketing with me, Sony have sold 80M but we have done well, believe us".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I guess next year we'll find out if the release of the Xbox One X did anything for them sales wise, though I highly doubt it..

Actually, even if their estimates were correct, and you factor in the Japan sales not being counted, it still wouldn't add up.

Playstation - PlaystationJapan + Xbox - XboxJapan = 103m  (According to EA.)

If we say Playstation sold ~70 million, selling 6 million in Japan, and Xbox selling 80k in Japan, we get a figure of 39 million for Xbox which is an overestimate.

Last edited by p53sionix - on 09 May 2018

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

CosmicSex said:

From what we can infer when MS goes there to pitch an exclusive deal they probably have to tell how much active consoles there is or how many they sold. Nowhere it would make sense to say "hey EA do this exclusive marketing with me, Sony have sold 80M but we have done well, believe us".

Of course EA knows.

The thing I don't get though is why is Xbox One selling so well in the US but doing crap in Europe? And why is Playstation selling so well there, even consistently outselling the Switch?

p53sionix said:

Actually, even if their estimates were correct, and you factor in the Japan sales not being counted, it still wouldn't add up.

Playstation - PlaystationJapan + Xbox - XboxJapan = 103m  (According to EA.)

If we say Playstation sold ~70 million, selling 6 million in Japan, and Xbox selling 80k in Japan, we get a figure of 39 million for Xbox which is an overestimate.

73,6m for PS4 right by end of December 2017.... as is the time for the 103m number.

73,6m (Playstation) - (Playstation Japan) -  (xbox japan) = 33,4m? or so for xbox end of 2017.

Then you add in what you expect Xbox to have sold jan, feb, march, april... and you ll have current xbox numbers.

DonFerrari said:
barneystinson69 said:

So xbox sales went from 60% US to 80% all of a sudden? I really don't think it works that way. The xbox one sold 1.5 million units in the UK over the past two year, and Australia and Canada are in the hundreds of thousands at least. If these numbers where true, the xbox one would have sold less than 1 million units in mainland Europe, Latin America, rest of NA, and Asia in the past two years. The Xbox One was already at 2.5 million units in mainland Europe at the beginning of 2016, so please explain to me how it fell off a cliff like that...

Edit: This also assumes us sales where 8 million the last two years. Considering last year was a down year by most consensus estimates, yet still sold 4.2 million in the US, its proboably higher than that  

We never had MS numbers after the nearing 10M shipped... so it doesn't really mean that the shift from 60 to 80% happened all of a sudden... the sales outside of USA can have been wrong in VGC since forever.

Didn't EA "estimate" 19.4 million at the end of 2016? We know the xbox one has sold around 8.5 million units in the following 2 years thanks to the npd in just the us. The ratio was about 60:40 then, what makes you think sales in the rest of the world just stopped?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Sixteenvolt420 said:
barneystinson69 said:

If these numbers are true, then around 80% of xbox sales would have to come from America alone...

Well, yeah. America is definitely buying way more X1's than any other country. Even if we go by VGChartz estimates.

Of course, but there are other markets the xbox one sells in too. To suggest one market makes up 80% share of any console is rediculous.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).