By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA with PS4/Xbox One install base estimates

I am sure the numbers here are over-tracked. Too bad Microsoft does not want to give numbers. Xbox sales are terrible in Europe and rest of the world. May be EA numbers are for active players or something ? So if a user has traded his Xbone with the X. It does not mean too much to them as they are interested in potential new customers instead.

Around the Network

This always sounds douchey when I say it, I know... but I really only care about sales from my home country. I don't live in Japan. I don't live in Europe. I live in the US and here, at least according to our site, it's 23 million for PS4 and 20 million for Xbox One. That's almost a dead tie.

Which is good, whether most of you guys realize it. Competition means good stuff for all of us.

AlfredoTurkey said:

This always sounds douchey when I say it, I know... but I really only care about sales from my home country. I don't live in Japan. I don't live in Europe. I live in the US and here, at least according to our site, it's 23 million for PS4 and 20 million for Xbox One. That's almost a dead tie.

Which is good, whether most of you guys realize it. Competition means good stuff for all of us.

I agree that for sales in one specific person's home country is all that it matters to them personally. But XB1 outside of US is really in a difficult situation. This gen they lost Japan completely as well as Japanese devs which creates situation that the console gets less content than it could. Which affects potential buyers worldwide. Europe is probably next on the line if MS won't do something with it. Though I doubt it will affect them content-wise like Japan, existing only on one out of three markets is not good for business.

I rather take EA's word on the install base over npd or a forum user's estimates.

Aeolus451 said:
I rather take EA's word on the install base over npd or a forum user's estimates.

That forum user is not talking about installbase which is something 99% of the users here missed but about units sold. So for their percieved installbase EA knows best, but otherwise your wrong that user > EA 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Aeolus451 said:

That forum user is not talking about installbase which is something 99% of the users here missed but about units sold. So for their percieved installbase EA knows best, but otherwise your wrong that user > EA 

Well, I don't know who the user is or where he's getting his information/estimates from. It's one thing to take the word of someone on leaked estimates from somewhere like npd and quite another to take that person's word over a video game publisher on install base or sales numbers. 

So 18-19 million PS4 units and 8-10 million Xbox One units. Sounds about right since I doubt PS4 sales are massively going to decline the second half of this year.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

barneystinson69 said:
DonFerrari said:

We never had MS numbers after the nearing 10M shipped... so it doesn't really mean that the shift from 60 to 80% happened all of a sudden... the sales outside of USA can have been wrong in VGC since forever.

Didn't EA "estimate" 19.4 million at the end of 2016? We know the xbox one has sold around 8.5 million units in the following 2 years thanks to the npd in just the us. The ratio was about 60:40 then, what makes you think sales in the rest of the world just stopped?

Two years is a long time to see severe changes on market landscape and reception of MS poor investments in games people outside US cares.

chakkra said:

OK, let me see if I understand this.  In Jan 29, 2016 EA said: "Our estimate is 55 million units out there, which has exceeded virtually everyone's forecast for the year"  and by that time SONY had said that they had sold 35.9m units. which means that, if EA's numbers were correct back then, the Xbox One had sold around 19 million units.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/29/10868370/microsoft-xbox-one-sales-19-million-ea

So now they're telling me that in the next two years the X1 sold only 10m units.  When we already know by the NPDs that in the last two years the X1 has sold at least 8m units on the USA alone.

Looks to me that EA doesn't take their own estimates very seriously. 

You can be damn sure EA have good estimates for the numbers that concern them.

shikamaru317 said:

Guys, Zhuge already confirmed that EA are talking out their ass. He said that he knows for a fact that XB1 has sold over 35m worldwide, which makes EA's number impossible since Sony's announced number plus 35m+ for XB1 exceeds EA's number.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea-has-provided-a-new-combined-install-base-estimate-for-ps4-xb1-read-op.41231/page-2#post-7694131

EA numbers are more reliable than Zhuge. Unless Zhuge was an insider from AMD themselves, which he isn't.

AlfredoTurkey said:

If you only care about games that are target to USA ok, but if you want the diverse IPs them you are in trouble.

Aeolus451 said:

Me too for certain. There is only two companies that would for certain have better "estimates" than EA. MS and AMD.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

By now it has already been figured out that EA excludes sales from Japan, so the discrepancy of 5-6m is not due to the Xbox One being severely overtracked on VGC, it's because EA doesn't count 73.6m PS4s, but rather only the ~68m that have been sold outside of Japan. So no, there's no difference between units sold and installed base in this specific case.

Of course it's no coincidence that everyone who still concludes that the Xbox One's sales are ~30m by the end of 2017 is from the PlayStation camp.

Makes sense

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

By now it has already been figured out that EA excludes sales from Japan, so the discrepancy of 5-6m is not due to the Xbox One being severely overtracked on VGC, it's because EA doesn't count 73.6m PS4s, but rather only the ~68m that have been sold outside of Japan. So no, there's no difference between units sold and installed base in this specific case.

Of course it's no coincidence that everyone who still concludes that the Xbox One's sales are ~30m by the end of 2017 is from the PlayStation camp.

While under 30m is to low for sure, we can be sure is not over 37m like vgc has it. We can be sure is overtracked here. How much we cant say, but Im sure gona trust EA over vgc to be closer to the real number. Like don said, unless MS or AMD say something to the contrary.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.