By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - How High Will Avengers:IW Soar? (Currently @ ~$2.04B+)

pikashoe said:
Mordred11 said:
With current tracking, Infinity War is definitely NOT heading towards your $807M domestic figure. In fact, it's not even reaching $700M. It's expected to finish a bit below Black Panther at this point.

It's still making more money daily than the 1st avengers, which made around 250 million more from the same point in its box office run. If IW continues to track agead it will easily be over 700 million. But i agree that it won't hit 800 million.

The first avengers movie had less competition and was less frontloaded than Infinity War will end up being. IW is a sequel and is burning up demand faster.

You do realize that IW's opening weekend was $55M higher than Black Panther's OW, but IW's 2nd weekend #s that just came in are only 900k bigger than BP's 2nd weekend, right? IW will start losing in daily numbers to Black Panther today, and the later will eventually close the gap. This movie is definitely not gonna be " easily over 700M ".

EDIT: It actually started losing to Black Panther 2 days ago. BP's 2nd Saturday and Sunday were bigger. IW only had Friday over BP. If this movie hits $700M, which I have no reason to believe it will, it's gonna be a loooong stretch. Not gonna be easy at all.

Last edited by Mordred11 - on 07 May 2018

Around the Network

I think Avengers:IW is a great representation of  the disadvantages of having such a cinematic universe. It will receive a lot of support from those invested in the universe, but others who didn't hop on the train early on will avoid the movie due to a fear of getting lost.

Same goes for SW. It's the reason why Avatar did so well at the Box Office. It was a completely new movie with absoloutely no prior lore.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Angelus said:
AsGryffynn said:
I will be happy if God of Cinematography James Cameron's remarks are finally honored and IW crashes and burns for Marvel, prompting them to either take a break or leave altogether.

We truly need a breather from Blockbusters...

The irony.....

Not lost on me, but if Lord Blockbuster says we have to many of his namesakes, odds are he has a point... 

AsGryffynn said:
Angelus said:

The irony.....

Not lost on me, but if Lord Blockbuster says we have to many of his namesakes, odds are he has a point... 

But he's saying so while filming Avatar 2, 3 and 4. Very high level of hypocrisy. And he didn't complain about blockbusters but about superhero movies only IIRC. It's easy to understand him. The interest for Avatar sequels is already low, so he wants less competition to lower the flop chances. The only marketing plan for Avatar 2 so far is "the sequel of the biggest movie ever", it would be awful for him to lose that...

spurgeonryan said:
Over 2 billion, but cannot make a prediction after I was so disappointed with Justice Leagues gross. Even bought the DVD three times to help out.

2.3 billion.

Justice League grossed poorly because of the trainwreck fashion DC handled their "cinematic universe".  DC and Warner Bros got what they deserved.  Marvel has no such negative stigma to hold them back.  They put 10 years of build-up into Infinity Wars and this is the payoff.  DC attempted to do a quick cash grab in 2 films (they sub-titled their 2nd film "Dawn of Justice" to let you know how much of a rush they were in to get to Justice League without any character introduction or world building!) and learned the hard way that if you don't get the audience invested in your characters, the movie going audience isn't going to invest in your films at the box office.  The people who stopped paying to see the DCEU films are the ones that "helped out".  The faster DC and WB were forced to realize you can't throw crap at a wall to see what sticks and expect to make money off it the better.  Maybe now they will actually take time to craft quality films.  Isn't that better for everyone?  I know I wouldn't support the Marvel films anymore if they suddenly started coming in at pre-MCU Daredevil/Electra quality. 

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
Mordred11 said:
With current tracking, Infinity War is definitely NOT heading towards your $807M domestic figure. In fact, it's not even reaching $700M. It's expected to finish a bit below Black Panther at this point.

It's still making more money daily than the 1st avengers, which made around 250 million more from the same point in its box office run. If IW continues to track agead it will easily be over 700 million. But i agree that it won't hit 800 million.

Keep in mind the $807M is just based on how much it has overperformed BP at this point in time.  I agree that it is going to start to fall in time, but that it should pass BP.

Mordred11 said:
pikashoe said:

The first avengers movie had less competition and was less frontloaded than Infinity War will end up being. IW is a sequel and is burning up demand faster.

You do realize that IW's opening weekend was $55M higher than Black Panther's OW, but IW's 2nd weekend #s that just came in are only 900k bigger than BP's 2nd weekend, right? IW will start losing in daily numbers to Black Panther today, and the later will eventually close the gap. This movie is definitely not gonna be " easily over 700M ".

EDIT: It actually started losing to Black Panther 2 days ago. BP's 2nd Saturday and Sunday were bigger. IW only had Friday over BP. If this movie hits $700M, which I have no reason to believe it will, it's gonna be a loooong stretch. Not gonna be easy at all.

Keep in mind that the numbers we have are just estimates.  Ones that Disney/Marvel puts out mid-Sun.  There's a good shot that they have underestimated the weekend.  We'll have to see when actuals come out later today.

Faelco said:
AsGryffynn said:

But he's saying so while filming Avatar 2, 3 and 4. Very high level of hypocrisy. And he didn't complain about blockbusters but about superhero movies only IIRC. It's easy to understand him. The interest for Avatar sequels is already low, so he wants less competition to lower the flop chances. The only marketing plan for Avatar 2 so far is "the sequel of the biggest movie ever", it would be awful for him to lose that...

Exactly.  And the only reason Avatar did as well as it did was because of special effects/new 3D hype.  That's what the movie was pushed on.  There's a reason SW is an iconic series with characters that are this well known, while no one even talks about Avatar in general discussion.  No one knows the characters' names.  Or quotes lines from the film.  No one is scrambling to dress up like a Navi for Halloween.  Speaking of Navi, I would bet that only half the people who watched the movie even remember that's the name of the alien race in the film.  That film is only talked about when speaking about how much it made.

Mr.Playstation said:

I think Avengers:IW is a great representation of  the disadvantages of having such a cinematic universe. It will receive a lot of support from those invested in the universe, but others who didn't hop on the train early on will avoid the movie due to a fear of getting lost.

Same goes for SW. It's the reason why Avatar did so well at the Box Office. It was a completely new movie with absoloutely no prior lore.

That's not why Avatar performed so well.  See above.

thismeintiel said: 

Exactly.  And the only reason Avatar did as well as it did was because of special effects/new 3D hype.  That's what the movie was pushed on.  There's a reason SW is an iconic series with characters that are this well known, while no one even talks about Avatar in general discussion.  No one knows the characters' names.  Or quotes lines from the film.  No one is scrambling to dress up like a Navi for Halloween.  Speaking of Navi, I would bet that only half the people who watched the movie even remember that's the name of the alien race in the film.  That film is only talked about when speaking about how much it made.

Yes. As an example all 6 members of my family went to see Avatar at least once each. But I'm sure that none of us will go see Avatar 2. I'm the only one knowing that there will be an Avatar 2, the others don't care at all anyway. It was amazing to see 3D for the first time and it was a great technical demo. But the movie itself has never been considered a great movie, just a live 3D version of Space Pocahontas...

Faelco said:
thismeintiel said: 

Yes. As an example all 6 members of my family went to see Avatar at least once each. But I'm sure that none of us will go see Avatar 2. I'm the only one knowing that there will be an Avatar 2, the others don't care at all anyway. It was amazing to see 3D for the first time and it was a great technical demo. But the movie itself has never been considered a great movie, just a live 3D version of Space Pocahontas...

Yep. And that's not even taking into account that the sequel is a decade too late. Which makes me wonder why Cameron believes he can finish out the rest of his life making Avatar movies. He and the movie studios are in for a big shock when the sequel comes out. I think it may cross $1B just on curiosity. But, it's going to do, at most, half of what the first one did. And unless it is some kind of masterpiece, the following sequels will continue to do less.

mZuzek said:
thismeintiel said:

Personally, I'd switch out BP with Thor: Ragnarok. I just think Ragnarok was a great balance of action and comedy. BP was good, but there were some parts that lagged. 

Yes, you are wrong in my book.

I think Ragnarok is vastly overrated by fans, it would probably barely get into my top 10. Black Panther on the other hand, is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Lol.

See, that's exactly how I feel about BP.  It had some great moments, but as a whole, it was't a great film.  Good, but not great.

Angelus said:
AsGryffynn said:
I will be happy if God of Cinematography James Cameron's remarks are finally honored and IW crashes and burns for Marvel, prompting them to either take a break or leave altogether.

We truly need a breather from Blockbusters...

The irony.....

This x 1,000,000