By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 17): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 23-29 , 2018

Good first week for Baseball and an amazing hold for God of War.

Finally PS4 stock issues are fixed.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

I always expected it to have a slow start and then burst on the holidays. I think that's going to be the case for hardware as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

That'll for sure be the case for hardware as it always is, but not every game gets significantly boosted by the holidays. I suppose it still remains to be seen if Labo is an evergreen title, but again I doubt it. Since Labo isn't drawing in it's target audience, it only has core gamers to try and sell to.

Medisti said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

Then 95% of games are flops by that criteria. In terms of numbers, the Variety pack did okay. Not great. Just okay. The Robot pack we can probably call as a flop, since it sold so much less and dropped so much more so quickly.

Like Nintendo themselves said, Labo is not traditional game, it's main purpose was to bring in new audiences (kids/familys interested in making toys), not sell to the existing ones (mostly adult males).

Pinkie_pie said:
Like I said last week. Without supply issue ps4 would be selling 25-30k. Switch around 35-40k.

Probably only around 20k; it got boosted this week by catching up the demand from last weeks, and probably will sell about as much again next week due to Goldenweek part 2 (and main part tbh), and after that drop to it's cruise speed if supplies hold up then. And like I said, I rather expect 20k than 25k+ unless boosted by (more or less) big game releases.

Medisti said:
Is it me, or did a baseball game push PS4 sales more than GoW?

Both yearly Japanese baseball games sell better than GoW. I would imagine they would have a bigger impact (although the increase in this week's sales is due to stock rather than new buyers attached to the new Power Pro).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
LipeJJ said:

I always expected it to have a slow start and then burst on the holidays. I think that's going to be the case for hardware as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

That'll for sure be the case for hardware as it always is, but not every game gets significantly boosted by the holidays. I suppose it still remains to be seen if Labo is an evergreen title, but again I doubt it. Since Labo isn't drawing in it's target audience, it only has core gamers to try and sell to.

Medisti said:

Then 95% of games are flops by that criteria. In terms of numbers, the Variety pack did okay. Not great. Just okay. The Robot pack we can probably call as a flop, since it sold so much less and dropped so much more so quickly.

Like Nintendo themselves said, Labo is not traditional game, it's main purpose was to bring in new audiences (kids/familys interested in making toys), not sell to the existing ones (mostly adult males).

Doesn't change the fact that it probably made a profit. It isn't a black/white "It's a flop" or "It's a runaway success." There's a range.

Around the Network

Nintendo LABOmba?

I'll wait a couple months before declaring it a bomb but so far, the numbers look a bit concerning.

Also Krato's with that God-like hold.

Medisti said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Doesn't change the fact that it probably made a profit. It isn't a black/white "It's a flop" or "It's a runaway success." There's a range.

There's also context. "In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop." Didn't say anything about profit, but yeah I'm sure it made money.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Nintendo LABOmba?

I'll wait a couple months before declaring it a bomb but so far, the numbers look a bit concerning.

Labo already sold 150k, for such a product (low investment but big profit) Nintendo probably already made quite profit.

''supply issue'' and ps4 still down and Switch is barely up from last week. I think GOW helped PS4 gain some ground this weekend now that more stock is there and poor labo, they dont like you :(

Golden Week is gonna be interesting like others have said. Since PS4 has had GOW release lately, I think they'll take golden week numbers

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Miyamotoo said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Nintendo LABOmba?

Labo already sold 150k, for such a product (low investment but big profit) Nintendo probably already made quite profit.

Not sure about the "low investment" though. The marketing in Japan for Labo was quite massive. Big marketing and big stocks shipped show us that Nintendo really wanted (and hoped) it to sell a lot. So I guess it's not a "we don't care how much it will sell, we'll make money anyway" game.