By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 17): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 23-29 , 2018

LipeJJ said:
Glad to see sales going up. I hope next week (golden week) we get amazing numbers all around.

Btw, I'd wait on calling Labo a flop or something. I think it will get past 1m in Japan over time.

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 



Around the Network

Nice hold on GoW, was expecting less than 10k



Nice hold on GoW, was expecting less than 10k

 

Edit: moderator spam :O



Lonely_Dolphin said:
LipeJJ said:
Glad to see sales going up. I hope next week (golden week) we get amazing numbers all around.

Btw, I'd wait on calling Labo a flop or something. I think it will get past 1m in Japan over time.

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

I always expected it to have a slow start and then burst on the holidays. I think that's going to be the case for hardware as well, but we'll have to wait and see.



Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Big drop on Labo but with the great first week its sales still look good. The Robot version is a flop, but that was always far less interesting. But the variety pack or whatever is looking good for such a niche product. Should sell over 500k in Japan by itself, which if it does I'd call that a big success.



Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
LipeJJ said:
Glad to see sales going up. I hope next week (golden week) we get amazing numbers all around.

Btw, I'd wait on calling Labo a flop or something. I think it will get past 1m in Japan over time.

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

Then 95% of games are flops by that criteria. In terms of numbers, the Variety pack did okay. Not great. Just okay. The Robot pack we can probably call as a flop, since it sold so much less and dropped so much more so quickly.



last92 said:
What? PS4 and Switch are so close. How can this be? What the flipping flip is this "Commentary powerful professional baseball 2018"?

PS4 had shortages so now gain boost in sales with more available units.

 

Pinkie_pie said: 
A baseball game gave ps4 a 20k boost. Kirby gave switch a 10k boost? And labo didn't give switch a boost at all

More available units have PS4 boost after shortages, not baseball game.

Pinkie_pie said: 
Like I said last week. Without supply issue ps4 would be selling 25-30k. Switch around 35-40k.

Thats just number with more units on market after shortages and something like (boost in sales) that is always expected but we will see what PS4 baseline will be in folowing weeks after Golden Week.



Good first week for Baseball and an amazing hold for God of War.

Finally PS4 stock issues are fixed.



LipeJJ said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

I always expected it to have a slow start and then burst on the holidays. I think that's going to be the case for hardware as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

That'll for sure be the case for hardware as it always is, but not every game gets significantly boosted by the holidays. I suppose it still remains to be seen if Labo is an evergreen title, but again I doubt it. Since Labo isn't drawing in it's target audience, it only has core gamers to try and sell to.

 

Medisti said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

Then 95% of games are flops by that criteria. In terms of numbers, the Variety pack did okay. Not great. Just okay. The Robot pack we can probably call as a flop, since it sold so much less and dropped so much more so quickly.

Like Nintendo themselves said, Labo is not traditional game, it's main purpose was to bring in new audiences (kids/familys interested in making toys), not sell to the existing ones (mostly adult males).



Pinkie_pie said:
Like I said last week. Without supply issue ps4 would be selling 25-30k. Switch around 35-40k.

Probably only around 20k; it got boosted this week by catching up the demand from last weeks, and probably will sell about as much again next week due to Goldenweek part 2 (and main part tbh), and after that drop to it's cruise speed if supplies hold up then. And like I said, I rather expect 20k than 25k+ unless boosted by (more or less) big game releases.