By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 17): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 23-29 , 2018

Is it me, or did a baseball game push PS4 sales more than GoW?

Around the Network

Yes, that baseball franchise has been around for two decades. It has a much bigger fanbase than God of War in Japan.

Ka-pi96 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Considering it's something aimed at kids, Japan is the last country I expected it to win over, with it's aging, shrinking population. This is a product for young families,not otakus.

You say that but... Yokai Watch was aimed at kids and was crazy successful in Japan, and only Japan. So there's clearly still plenty of kids there that like gaming.

There's a difference between kids and young families.

Both are aimed at kids, but Yokai Watch is something the kids would buy themselves, while Labo something the parents would buy for their kids.

LipeJJ said:
Glad to see sales going up. I hope next week (golden week) we get amazing numbers all around.

Btw, I'd wait on calling Labo a flop or something. I think it will get past 1m in Japan over time.

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

Nice hold on GoW, was expecting less than 10k

Around the Network

Nice hold on GoW, was expecting less than 10k

Edit: moderator spam :O

Lonely_Dolphin said:
LipeJJ said:
Glad to see sales going up. I hope next week (golden week) we get amazing numbers all around.

Btw, I'd wait on calling Labo a flop or something. I think it will get past 1m in Japan over time.

In terms of being a hardware seller attracting new audiences to the system, I'd say it's a flop. Made no impact on hardware the week it launched, whereas even Kirby caused a slight bump. Now you could say it kept Switch sales from being lower, but Labo had a harsh drop this week despite hardware being up, so that can't be the case. It could still do well for itself sure, but I doubt it. 

I always expected it to have a slow start and then burst on the holidays. I think that's going to be the case for hardware as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Big drop on Labo but with the great first week its sales still look good. The Robot version is a flop, but that was always far less interesting. But the variety pack or whatever is looking good for such a niche product. Should sell over 500k in Japan by itself, which if it does I'd call that a big success.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
LipeJJ said:

Then 95% of games are flops by that criteria. In terms of numbers, the Variety pack did okay. Not great. Just okay. The Robot pack we can probably call as a flop, since it sold so much less and dropped so much more so quickly.

last92 said:
What? PS4 and Switch are so close. How can this be? What the flipping flip is this "Commentary powerful professional baseball 2018"?

PS4 had shortages so now gain boost in sales with more available units.

Pinkie_pie said: 
A baseball game gave ps4 a 20k boost. Kirby gave switch a 10k boost? And labo didn't give switch a boost at all

More available units have PS4 boost after shortages, not baseball game.

Pinkie_pie said: 
Like I said last week. Without supply issue ps4 would be selling 25-30k. Switch around 35-40k.

Thats just number with more units on market after shortages and something like (boost in sales) that is always expected but we will see what PS4 baseline will be in folowing weeks after Golden Week.