By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

pokoko said: 
zorg1000 said: 

I'm not going to get into this argument on one side or the other but I would like to point out that the NES was marketed as the most powerful home console system ever, at least in North America.  "Power" was one of their primary buzzwords for a long time and they ran a lot of "cool" advertisements (well, the 1980's version of cool, anyway).

Im sorry, but i have no idea what that has to do with anything.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Don't be so triggered. The NES had over 90% marketshare and invented a lot of the franchises you are playing today. Yes, that was their glory years. Even the Wii era didn't compare.

I mean, we were eating fucking Nintendo CEREAL back then... cereal. 

You completely missed the point.

Things like the Zapper, R.O.B. & Tetris didnt stop them from making games like Super Mario, Zelda or Metroid.

Things like Nintendogs, Brain Age & Wii Fit did not stop  them from making games like Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess & Metroid Prime 3.

Things like 1 2 Switch & Labo are not stopping them from making games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade 2.

Diversity is important for any platform and every successful platform has had a mix of harcore, casual & casual-core software.

It does stop them from making bigger games though. Why make something that will cost us millions to make and sell millions, when we can make something cheap that will sell millions?

1 2 Switch and Labo will be forgotten in a year, but they can still resell BOTW and Mario Odyssey 10 years from now. That's why I think these kinda games should be their focus. They are so talented over there at Nintendo, so its sad to see their talent wasted on these non games.

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Don't be so triggered. The NES had over 90% marketshare and invented a lot of the franchises you are playing today. Yes, that was their glory years. Even the Wii era didn't compare.

I mean, we were eating fucking Nintendo CEREAL back then... cereal. 

Things like the Zapper, R.O.B. & Tetris didnt stop them from making games like Super Mario, Zelda or Metroid.

Things like Nintendogs, Brain Age & Wii Fit did not stop  them from making games like Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess & Metroid Prime 3.

Things like 1 2 Switch & Labo are not stopping them from making games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade 2.

Diversity is important for any platform and every successful platform has had a mix of harcore, casual & casual-core software.

I feel like I have had this discussion one hundred times over the last decade. Seriously, it's deja vu over and over again. The difference between NES-Gamecube was that their gimmicks were in the background. They didn't try to stick them into the forefront. Labo has been pushed and pimped out over the internet and in the Switch "news" section nonstop. Seriously. That's all Nintendo has been fucking talking about. 

Between the two of us, only one (me) has been there since the start. You weren't even in kindergarten when the N64 launched. That is not an insult, after all, we can't help when we were born but it does (and should) make you pause for a second to think about things from a different perspective. I was in third grade when I got my NES, which was... I think 1988. I saw all of this from the beginning and I can tell you that the Nintendo of that era was different... vastly so. 

I think the Switch is as close to that spirit as we've gotten since the Wii came along and made our grandparents waggle around the living room like fucking idiots. It has the capability and the marketing to pull it off. But if Nintendo keeps up this Labo type stuff, that will all be for naught. The reason the Switch is selling so well is because of CORE games like BOTW. It's not because of cardboard and casuals. 

I love how some gamers call for Nintendo to drive in a straight line and not veer off the beaten path. Nintendo has innovated since the beginning, it's part of their DNA. Not everything has been a runaway smash, but at times they've succeeded at introducing new ways to play video games. The whining about Labo being cardboard is getting old. Not sure if people feel as though Nintendo should've shipped fiberglass, stainless steel, hard plastic etc; with Labo instead of cardboard...

I also find the narrative of Labo software being low rent trash amusing as well. Just from watching various videos of users playing Labo, there are several intricate pieces included in things such as the robot, piano, fishing rod that interact withthe joycons and software. Some time and thought went into this, Nintendo didn't just pull Labo out of their ass and say "here you go, here's some $80 broken down shipping boxes to play with".

AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

I feel like I have had this discussion one hundred times over the last decade. Seriously, it's deja vu over and over again. The difference between NES-Gamecube was that their gimmicks were in the background. They didn't try to stick them into the forefront. Labo has been pushed and pimped out over the internet and in the Switch "news" section nonstop. Seriously. That's all Nintendo has been fucking talking about. 

Between the two of us, only one (me) has been there since the start. You weren't even in kindergarten when the N64 launched. That is not an insult, after all, we can't help when we were born but it does (and should) make you pause for a second to think about things from a different perspective. I was in third grade when I got my NES, which was... I think 1988. I saw all of this from the beginning and I can tell you that the Nintendo of that era was different... vastly so. 

I think the Switch is as close to that spirit as we've gotten since the Wii came along and made our grandparents waggle around the living room like fucking idiots. It has the capability and the marketing to pull it off. But if Nintendo keeps up this Labo type stuff, that will all be for naught. The reason the Switch is selling so well is because of CORE games like BOTW. It's not because of cardboard and casuals. 

I'm pretty sure, they've talked more about the Funky Mode in Trpoical Freeze than LABO itself :P

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

The impression I got so far (from reading Labo reviews, not from personal experience) is that the best part about Labo is building the Toy-Cons. It was often compared to building IKEA furniture, but actual fun, and most said that they really enjoyed the time building the Toy-Cons with their children.

The general consensus was that one typically spends 1-2 hours building a Toy-Con, but less time afterwards playing the mini-games, for these were usually said to be rather shallow and to not offer much replay value.
Apparently, Labo is mostly an experience about building paper models; once one has finishing the building process, there's little incentive to spend much more time with it.

So your review seems to be quite in line with the other reviews I've read, only your overall verdict seems a little more negative.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
I love how some gamers call for Nintendo to drive in a straight line and not veer off the beaten path. Nintendo has innovated since the beginning, it's part of their DNA. Not everything has been a runaway smash, but at times they've succeeded at introducing new ways to play video games. The whining about Labo being cardboard is getting old. Not sure if people feel as though Nintendo should've shipped fiberglass, stainless steel, hard plastic etc; with Labo instead of cardboard...

I also find the narrative of Labo software being low rent trash amusing as well. Just from watching various videos of users playing Labo, there are several intricate pieces included in things such as the robot, piano, fishing rod that interact withthe joycons and software. Some time and thought went into this, Nintendo didn't just pull Labo out of their ass and say "here you go, here's some $80 broken down shipping boxes to play with".

How much innovation do you need? Whenever I play a new 3D Mario or Zelda I always go "Wow, that's awesome. Never seen that before. What a clever way to use that mechanic" etc... They have lots of unique ideas and innovation. Games like Labo and 1 2 Switch are one trick ponies. I mean where is the next Wii Sports? The Next Nintendogs? The next Wii Fit? The next Brain Age? People don't give a shit about them anymore. What do they give a shit about? Traditional games like Mario and Zelda.

KLXVER said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

How much innovation do you need? Whenever I play a new 3D Mario or Zelda I always go "Wow, that's awesome. Never seen that before. What a clever way to use that mechanic" etc... They have lots of unique ideas and innovation. Games like Labo and 1 2 Switch are one trick ponies. I mean where is the next Wii Sports? The Next Nintendogs? The next Wii Fit? The next Brain Age? People don't give a shit about them anymore. What do they give a shit about? Traditional games like Mario and Zelda.

Thing is, they're still making Mario and Zelda...things like Labo will not prevent them from doing so. Nothing wrong with coming out with something quirky to POSSIBLY pique potential customers interest. It's what they did the with the Wii and it printed money for years, DS as well. Heck, Switch is pretty quirky in its own right and doing extremely well and loved by gamers. Nintendo is going to do them, that's what they do and they won't ever apologize for it. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
KLXVER said:

Thing is, they're still making Mario and Zelda...things like Labo will not prevent them from doing so. Nothing wrong with coming out with something quirky to POSSIBLY pique potential customers interest. It's what they did the with the Wii and it printed money for years, DS as well. Heck, Switch is pretty quirky in its own right and doing extremely well and loved by gamers. Nintendo is going to do them, that's what they do and they won't ever apologize for it. 

Yeah, I'm sure Labo and 1 2 Switch are just as big of a reason to why the Switch is a beloved console as Mario Odyssey and BOTW...

They can still make games like Mario, Zelda and a few others, but because of these non games we wont see a new big IP like them. 

Just imagine if Nintendo only focused on making games for gamers. Every year would be like 2017. I get excited just thinking about it. But instead we`ll get a 2017 like year maybe every 10 years if we are very lucky and some kinda big years every now and then in between. Its just a bit frustrating when imagining what could have been. 

KLXVER said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Yeah, I'm sure Labo and 1 2 Switch are just as big of a reason to why the Switch is a beloved console as Mario Odyssey and BOTW...

They can still make games like Mario, Zelda and a few others, but because of these non games we wont see a new big IP like them. 

Just imagine if Nintendo only focused on making games for gamers. Every year would be like 2017. I get excited just thinking about it. But instead we`ll get a 2017 like year maybe every 10 years if we are very lucky and some kinda big years every now and then in between. Its just a bit frustrating when imagining what could have been. 

Never said Labo or 1-2 Switch are the reason Switch is loved by gamers, so moot.

Rumor has it Zelda was over 100 million in development costs, we also know it took 5-6 years to develop. You're not getting BOTW or Odyssey every 1-2 years. Nothing wrong with them filling in the gaps with software that use the hardware in different ways. Just because it doesn't appeal to YOU doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.