By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

Faelco said:

That's why even if Labo sold better than GoW, Labo's sell through is only around 30% while GoW is around 60%. It's easy to see which one underperformed compared to expectations here

I really dont think Labo underperformed, i truly believe Nintendo & retailers wanted to make sure there was plenty of stock for Golden Week which is the reason for the big shipment.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Well, if there is a silver lining, maybe it's that Nintendo will finally... FINALLY just give up on casuals and become the company they were in their glory days. Just make bad ass core IP like BOTW etc. and stick to it.

Their glory days?

Are you talking about the NES/GB era when they bundled a toy gun/robot and a casual puzzle game?

Or maybe the DS/Wii when a pet simulator, motion control minigames and education/fitness titles were the biggest system sellers?

Kinda interesting that their 2 best selling handhelds and 2 best selling consoles had a very strong kid/family/casual fanbase.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Faelco said:

That's why even if Labo sold better than GoW, Labo's sell through is only around 30% while GoW is around 60%. It's easy to see which one underperformed compared to expectations here

I really dont think Labo underperformed, i truly believe Nintendo & retailers wanted to make sure there was plenty of stock for Golden Week which is the reason for the big shipment.

I honestly don't think so. Labo was everywhere in stores, the shelves were full. If only a third of that left the stores, it's bad for the stores. Shipping usually doesn't work like that, except for Christmas when the sales are more continuous. And I don't even think Golden Week will be as good as the launch week, especially since it didn't really create a positive buzz. They will most likely have almost half of the initial shipment still in stores after Golden Week... Maybe 40% if it sells well? 

If they really wanted to prepare for GW, they would have sent a nice shipment just big enough for launch, and then just before GW they would have distributed the next batch. You don't send a shipment 3 times bigger than needed and tell the stores "Here, you're good for a couple of months now, bye!". Otherwise we would see that kind of sell through numbers for a lot of launches, before GW or in September/October. But that's not the case. 

Faelco said:
zorg1000 said:

I honestly don't think so. Labo was everywhere in stores, the shelves were full. If only a third of that left the stores, it's bad for the stores. Shipping usually doesn't work like that, except for Christmas when the sales are more continuous. And I don't even think Golden Week will be as good as the launch week, especially since it didn't really create a positive buzz. They will most likely have almost half of the initial shipment still in stores after Golden Week... Maybe 40% if it sells well? 

If they really wanted to prepare for GW, they would have sent a nice shipment just big enough for launch, and then just before GW they would have distributed the next batch. You don't send a shipment 3 times bigger than needed and tell the stores "Here, you're good for a couple of months now, bye!". Otherwise we would see that kind of sell through numbers for a lot of launches, before GW or in September/October. But that's not the case. 

I guess all we can do is wait and see how it sell in the next couple weeks.

No point in quoting the obvious post with wrong information about the Japanese sales.

Moving to the OP, it seems like they need better software from what I understood. Hopefully Nintendo releases some updates but wouldn't bet on it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I think it's way too soon to reach a decision about the sales potential of Labo.  Its target audience isn't going to rush out and buy it Day One.  That isn't really how toys work unless it's near Christmas.  Even if it's a slow starter, word of mouth could help it tremendously.  I'm not saying that will happen but it's possible.  

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Well, if there is a silver lining, maybe it's that Nintendo will finally... FINALLY just give up on casuals and become the company they were in their glory days. Just make bad ass core IP like BOTW etc. and stick to it.

Their glory days?

Are you talking about the NES/GB era when they bundled a toy gun/robot and a casual puzzle game?

Or maybe the DS/Wii when a pet simulator, motion control minigames and education/fitness titles were the biggest system sellers?

Kinda interesting that their 2 best selling handhelds and 2 best selling consoles had a very strong kid/family/casual fanbase.

I'm not going to get into this argument on one side or the other but I would like to point out that the NES was marketed as the most powerful home console system ever, at least in North America.  "Power" was one of their primary buzzwords for a long time and they ran a lot of "cool" advertisements (well, the 1980's version of cool, anyway).

It's for kids not us

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Their glory days?

Don't be so triggered. The NES had over 90% marketshare and invented a lot of the franchises you are playing today. Yes, that was their glory years. Even the Wii era didn't compare.

I mean, we were eating fucking Nintendo CEREAL back then... cereal. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

Their glory days?

Don't be so triggered. The NES had over 90% marketshare and invented a lot of the franchises you are playing today. Yes, that was their glory years. Even the Wii era didn't compare.

Well to be fair there is a Mario Odyssey cereal.

But yeah, Nintendo has made some great entries in their franchises on the Switch, but their new IPs have been garbage imo. They desperately want the most amount of money by doing the least amount of work.

AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

Their glory days?

You completely missed the point.

Things like the Zapper, R.O.B. & Tetris didnt stop them from making games like Super Mario, Zelda or Metroid.

Things like Nintendogs, Brain Age & Wii Fit did not stop  them from making games like Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess & Metroid Prime 3.

Things like 1 2 Switch & Labo are not stopping them from making games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade 2.

Diversity is important for any platform and every successful platform has had a mix of harcore, casual & casual-core software.