By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Polygon Interview: Toxic Masculinity In Video Games (Ugh)

VGPolyglot said:
Errorist76 said:
Please stop linking that idiot site. Polygon are the SWJ hipsters of gaming. One of the worst gaming sites on the net.

What's an SWJ?

Suck With Joy. Isn’t that obvious?

Around the Network

For a thread about toxicity, this thread sure is toxic. I'm not defending Polygon here or anything, but man...

Zkuq said:
For a thread about toxicity, this thread sure is toxic. I'm not defending Polygon here or anything, but man...

Yeah, exactly. It's ironic. And man ... how the fuck are you guys so interested in this shit? I get if it's like, a video game or something, but who is so interested in a website they dislike that they just make a thread to circlejerk it? 

Polygon is trash, but I see little in this article to really get upset about. Yeah, people have that knee-jerk reaction to the phrase "toxic masculinity", but if you get past the buzzwords you don't like, there really isn't much being said that is all that controversial. The interviewer could have phrased the question differently to avoid such highly divisive phrases, but it really wouldn't change much of anything about what is being said, and what is being said is a kind of interesting look at how and why Kratos was reimagined and evolved through this immensely popular game.

I don't know, maybe I'm just tired of "outrage culture" and have a hard time getting upset about things that really don't matter.

dammit sjw's, leave gow alone.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Toxic masculinity is what makes games fun! =D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It just seems to me that to these people everything a man does is toxic masculinity so screw them

TranceformerFX said:
Arminillo said:

Keep in mind that is the only question? It's actually starting to make me sick that everyone is coming to conclusions without reading the excerpt, so here it is:

I love how you glossed over/ignored the fact that Polygon asked a loaded question. Clearly you're not savy with journalism. This was a puff piece, plain and simple. Toxic masculinity isn't anymore of a problem than toxic feminism. Now, if the question went more along the lines of:

"Playing the game, I can't help but think of the ongoing climate change in how parents guide their children. Whether it be negatively or positively, and how we can can teach them to avoid certain behavior that society deems unacceptable now. Im curious if the political topics that this country is facing factored into designing the relationship between Kratos & Atreus. And if so, did those result in office discussions?"

That would be an example of honest journalism, because that leaves Corey Barlog to make the connection to "toxic masculinity" if that was ACTUALLY his belief instead of the journalists belief. Instead, "Toxic Masculinity" is already assumed before the interview even starts, resulting in an echo chamber of conversations without gauging Corey Barlogs actual opinions.

This interview is not only blatantly scripted, but also conducted with the purpose of signaling one's political virtues. I'm glad Corey Barlog rose his SJW flag to let everyone know that he supports first wave totalitarianism. 

I said it was a leading question which is practically the same thing as a loaded question. However, I dont read articles for the interviewers, but for the interviewee. And I think the interviewee gave a very fascinating insight on Kratos motivations and also the intent of the developers DESPITE the question trying to lead them to say certain things. I agree that Polygon has poor journalistic practices, but i'm not going to discount their subject because of who is talking to them.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Jaicee said:

I don't get what the freakout is here. I've not played the new God of War, but even just based on the promotional material I've seen for the game, it very much appears to me that the father-son dynamic is at its heart. Why is not okay for the director to be interviewed about the point of that dynamic in the game? I mean are we just not supposed to talk about themes in video games? Or is the very idea of a character like Kratos being (apparently) rendered more multi-dimensional than in the past somehow a problem in its own right? I mean what precisely is the triggering mechanism here?

Its not about what the director said, its about the term "toxic masculinity" that the interviewer used.

sundin13 said:
Polygon is trash, but I see little in this article to really get upset about. Yeah, people have that knee-jerk reaction to the phrase "toxic masculinity", but if you get past the buzzwords you don't like, there really isn't much being said that is all that controversial. The interviewer could have phrased the question differently to avoid such highly divisive phrases, but it really wouldn't change much of anything about what is being said, and what is being said is a kind of interesting look at how and why Kratos was reimagined and evolved through this immensely popular game.

I don't know, maybe I'm just tired of "outrage culture" and have a hard time getting upset about things that really don't matter.

if i made a thread linking to a fake site with an excerpt omitting the question, people would love to hear what the GoW director has to say.