By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima retires as President of Nintendo

So how long was Kishima president? It feels like Iwata died ages ago.

Around the Network

Kimishima will be missed, he was my favorite president so far.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 26 April 2018

Athaba said:
He got into this position at a hard time for nintendo. Now things are looking way better, and while not all of that success can be his archievement, the company is at a much better position than when he started. Looks like he did a great job!

Maybe at this age, he thinks that now, where nintendo is back in it's good way, he can rest a bit and let the younger people move on. He is 68, so a retirement - with a bit of advising the new directors - seems to be a good move.

He was already planning to retire he's had a long career which also involved a run in finance which as someone working in that field I can tell you it is taxing, Iwata's passing forced him to put his retirement on hold until a permanent President could be installed.

Athaba said:
He got into this position at a hard time for nintendo. Now things are looking way better, and while not all of that success can be his archievement, the company is at a much better position than when he started. Looks like he did a great job!

Maybe at this age, he thinks that now, where nintendo is back in it's good way, he can rest a bit and let the younger people move on. He is 68, so a retirement - with a bit of advising the new directors - seems to be a good move.

When Kimishima became CEO, Nintendo announced that he would be a temporary solution and the plans are to move toward a younger leadership. Kimishima got the job due to circumstance (the sudden passing away of Satoru Iwata) and I think it was necessary to have both good leadership in the short term and have the necessary time for consideration to set things properly in place for the future of Nintendo.

On topic: I am not familiar at all with the new CEO, but his resume seems to make him a good fit.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Furukawa was the next guy up on the totem pole - him, Miyamoto, and Shinya Takahashi were essentially the next three in command - and Miyamoto is just slightly younger than Kimishima.

Furukawa was the likely replacement for Kimishima since he is a lot younger, and basically followed the same career path Kimishima did.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:
Kimishima will be missed, he was favorite president so far.

Mine too.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

PwerlvlAmy said:
damn now that makes me worry for Nintendo tbh. He was great and moved the company in a positive direction very quickly

To be fair, the company was moving in this direction already under Iwata. Things like the concept of Switch, the entry into mobile, expansion into theme park & movies were all underway before Iwata passed.

With that said, im not trying to take anything away from Kimishima, he did a great job in the transition phase and deserves alot of credit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Sept 2015-June 2018, just under 3 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Sept 2015-June 2018, just under 3 years.

So this new guy doesn't take over until June huh? 

With the tremendous rollout of the Switch and what seemed like a sure future of the system, I’m concerned that this younger president will go back the fumbling of the Wii U era. Every marketing and release has been well planned and timed since the Switch launch, and the results have shown as such. It was nice to see an older, sturn, business-minded executive pushing for the company to maximize every announcement and pushing for opening connections and opportunities to other developers and more mature franchises. Picking unusually successful windows to launch both hardware items and software. With a new president, this could all unravel. I hope they know what they are doing.

Last edited by zygote - on 26 April 2018