By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results, Hardware + Software

I'm a little surprised that Pokemon Ultra Sun / Moon has only sold 340k units between January and March.

Mario Kart 7 sold 280k units, impressive for a game that takes almost 7 years in the market.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Around the Network

I would say those are some strong showing. Very great 1st year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

p0isonparadise said:
Here are the updated 3DS figures.

3DS - 72.53 million

Mario Kart 7 - 17,04 million
Pokemon X/Y - 16.29 million
Pokemon Sun/Moon - 16.10 million
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 14.06 million
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 12.61 million
Super Mario 3D Land - 11.96 million
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 11.69 million
Super Smash Bros, for 3DS - 9.24 million
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - 7.51 million
Tomodachi Life - 6.20 million

Thanks for this, I sadly didn't see those at first.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
BerriJammi said:

My "theory"? I made only 2 explicit statements, that BotW is #1 in single platform sales and that if you include remasters/remakes then it is 3rd. The first is something I think we agree on. The second is an if/then statement, you can view sales numbers in multiple ways. If I want to look at a games sales as an IP I would include both. If I wanted to look at the single sales on one console I would look at it that way as well. You're being unnecessarily restrictive by declaring it "wrong" to look at data in multiple ways. You can choose to restrict your view to one way of looking at it but I see value in looking at it from multiple angles.  You can continue to declare it wrong but I'm not making any non-factual claims, just choosing to look at it from multiple angles.

You're taking it way out into orbit. Remasters/ports are counted seperately, that's the way it's always been done. It's of course your prerogative to use your own counting methods, but I dont think anyone will adhere to them but you. 

If that is the culture of the site then fair enough, though I will state it's not like this is something no one ever does. I saw an article on nintendolife just a minute ago where they did the same thing. I see that sort of thing done all the time elsewhere (for example in the movie industry). But we can agree to disagree about the relevance of certain metrics.

Huge numbers. I have to imagine that Nintendo is very pleased. I also noticed an interesting tidbit... 12 million + games (including third party), according to Nintendo. Nintendo has 8 games over 1m, so what are the other 4?

Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Tourney, and Mario+Rabbids are all likely candidates...

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
Pachofilauri said:
thismeintiel said:

Uh no. The Switch would only have sold more because possibly there would have been more stock by then. Other than that, it would have sold the exact same. Last gen had been going on for 8 years when the PS4 and XBO launched. People were desperate for a new gen. The PS4, like I said, would have sold the exact amount because it sold as much as they manufactured. Doesn't matter when it launched.

You don't manufacture the same amount of units for a month like March as you do for the holidays. 

You do when you're launching a new piece of HW. Sony only outshipped them by 1M for their launch quarter (4.5M VS 3.5M.) Sony's normal shipment number for that quarter is 6M-7M. Launching during the holiday season doesn't change a thing if your HW is popular, because you can only make so many. Had Nintendo had 4.5M units ready in March, they probably would have sold that much, too.

zorg1000 said: 
thismeintiel said: 
So, it's dropped ~2.1M below the PS4, launches aligned. Personally, I never saw it hitting PS4 numbers, anyway. That's not to say it will do poorly. 3DS numbers, and probably a little beyond, should be doable (~75M-85M.) Year 3-4 are going to be the telling years. Will legs hold out. Or will it start to drop like the Wii.

I think it will blow past 3DS numbers. Here are how they compare per region.

Switch

Japan-4.38 million

Americas-7.14 million

Other-6.27 million

Total-17.79 million

3DS

Japan-5.85 million

Americas-5.99 million

Other-5.30 million

Total-17.13 million

Switch is trailing in Japan by just under 1.5 million but is ahead outside of Japan by over 2 million.

Its also worth noting that the early price cut caused 3DS to peak quite early, its first full fiscal year was its peak year. Switch is comfortably ahead in the West at full price and could very well catch up in Japan once the price comes down.

I personally think 100 million is very possible.

I could see a scenario where 100M is possible. It all depends on how years 3-4 turn out. If it plays out similar to Wii's drop, then no. 

JSG87 said: 
thismeintiel said: 

Uh no. The Switch would only have sold more because possibly there would have been more stock by then. Other than that, it would have sold the exact same. Last gen had been going on for 8 years when the PS4 and XBO launched. People were desperate for a new gen. The PS4, like I said, would have sold the exact amount because it sold as much as they manufactured. Doesn't matter when it launched.

Regardless. November/December it will blow past ps4. And then the ps4 will fly past the switch again. Ot doesn't matter though. The swit h has put up fantastic numbers either way.

That last sentence is definitely true. 

Zelda!

8.48m on Switch alone, wow. I wouldn't have guessed it already being that high. I assume no word of a total or WiiU sales? I'll assume 1.5m, I don't think they're still shipping copies for the WiiU anymore, so only slightly below the 10m mark. The Switch version alone will easily reach that though regardless, and that's when we can finally celebrate!

Just noticed Sun/Moon is extremely close to eclipsing X/Y. I wonder if Nintendo plans any more Pokemon 2DS/2DSXL bundles for this year

Zelda BOTW on switch has outsold mario odyssey during Jan, feb and march then, 1.7m to 1.4m. Did not expect that, a new triple A mario game having weaker legs than a zelda game relessed 8months before it. Goes to show the great job nintendo have done reinvigurating the series. The zelda series at this moment in time is at it's pinnacle and has a bigger fanbase than it's ever had. Never before has a zelda game sold 10m (SW+WU) in its first 13 months in fact no other zelda game has even come close.

Metroid33slayer said:
Zelda BOTW on switch has outsold mario odyssey during Jan, feb and march then, 1.7m to 1.4m. Did not expect that, a new triple A mario game having weaker legs than a zelda game relessed 8months before it. Goes to show the great job nintendo have done reinvigurating the series. The zelda series at this moment in time is at it's pinnacle and has a bigger fanbase than it's ever had. Never before has a zelda game sold 10m (SW+WU) in its first 13 months in fact no other zelda game has even come close.

Could it be because Mario Odyssey's sales are far more front-loaded? I mean, it's not like both of them sold the same amount in the release window. It's pretty heavily lop-sided towards Mario in the release window.