By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results, Hardware + Software

tak13 said:
zorg1000 said:

I think it will blow past 3DS numbers. Here are how they compare per region.

Switch

Japan-4.38 million

Americas-7.14 million

Other-6.27 million

Total-17.79 million

3DS

Japan-5.85 million

Americas-5.99 million

Other-5.30 million

Total-17.13 million

Switch is trailing in Japan by just under 1.5 million but is ahead outside of Japan by over 2 million.

Its also worth noting that the early price cut caused 3DS to peak quite early, its first full fiscal year was its peak year. Switch is comfortably ahead in the West at full price and could very well catch up in Japan once the price comes down.

I personally think 100 million is very possible.

What you cite should worry you!

Switch is a HYBRID console for only 299$, has vastly superior hardware and software at least in graphics as a handheld console compared to 3ds, these are equivalent  of 3ds price cut and the sales performance in the west proves it. 

Let me ask you, when its price will go down? Its manufacturing cost is 249$ (90$ joycons )...

The solution is a joyconless switch for 199$ because sadly some Japanese don't care that you get a home console and handheld console for just 299$.

The sales difference in Japan will be double soon, ns selling half of what 3ds xl was selling and 3ds arrival into comparison is only three months away!

Hence, 3ds price drop isn't the excuse, the excuse is that some Japanese aren't interested in home gaming on tv ( as they should, due to  the enticing combination of  switch concept+ price ), so 299$ are too much for them to  expend for hndheld console gaming, plus the prices of the games ( home console games prices ).

Yeah, this is probably the most obvious hardware revision they could make for the Switch, but I wonder if they would be able to do so without being accused of false advertisement. The 3DS had to change its name into 2DS for the revision, how could they do that with the Switch? The Nintendo Go? Would that be a bit misleading?

To be fair, I'm sure they will be able to lower the price of the parts on their own to make up for the price. The console is selling quite fast, so there's no real risk of overstocking a single model.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
tak13 said:

What you cite should worry you!

Switch is a HYBRID console for only 299$, has vastly superior hardware and software at least in graphics as a handheld console compared to 3ds, these are equivalent  of 3ds price cut and the sales performance in the west proves it. 

Let me ask you, when its price will go down? Its manufacturing cost is 249$ (90$ joycons )...

The solution is a joyconless switch for 199$ because sadly some Japanese don't care that you get a home console and handheld console for just 299$.

The sales difference in Japan will be double soon, ns selling half of what 3ds xl was selling and 3ds arrival into comparison is only three months away!

Hence, 3ds price drop isn't the excuse, the excuse is that some Japanese aren't interested in home gaming on tv ( as they should, due to  the enticing combination of  switch concept+ price ), so 299$ are too much for them to  expend for hndheld console gaming, plus the prices of the games ( home console games prices ).

Yeah, this is probably the most obvious hardware revision they could make for the Switch, but I wonder if they would be able to do so without being accused of false advertisement. The 3DS had to change its name into 2DS for the revision, how could they do that with the Switch? The Nintendo Go? Would that be a bit misleading?

To be fair, I'm sure they will be able to lower the price of the parts on their own to make up for the price. The console is selling quite fast, so there's no real risk of overstocking a single model.

I said joyconless switch, not dockless...

Switch lite!

Joyconless and more portable switch, smaller screen in order  the original model to have another superior selling point other than joycons which isn't as much as important factor as screen size.

Last edited by tak13 - on 26 April 2018

tak13 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Switch lite!

Joyconless and more portable switch, smaller screen in order  the original model to have another superior selling point other than joycons which isn't as much as important factor as screen size.

Yes, but without joycons how are you going to play docked? Either they forego the docking part completely and just make a handheld (which would bring up the problems previously mentioned) or they'd have to include a controller to play when in docked, which would be expensive.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
tak13 said:

Switch lite!

Yes, but without joycons how are you going to play docked? Either they forego the docking part completely and just make a handheld (which would bring up the problems previously mentioned) or they'd have to include a controller to play when in docked, which would be expensive.

Dockless switch is not a switch as both of us have implied.

You can't  name a dockless Nintendo switch, switch, so a name unrelated to switch for a portable-only device that will get same games with the switch?

That could cause confusion because switch is written over the game cases, albeit in 3ds/2ds  case the games cases have a note below "also compatible on 2ds".

3ds without 3d effect is not the same with switch without dock, it's obvious why.

So, I meant the later you mentioned.

The controller doesn't have essentially to be expensive, they can make a cheap controller, also it can be optional.

Last edited by tak13 - on 26 April 2018

Great Hardware Sales for Switch. Incredible software sales for its first year too! Good job Nintendo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
BerriJammi said:
PAOerfulone said:

Breath of the Wild: And with this, counting the Wii U version; It! Is! Official!
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the best selling Zelda game of all time!!!
And most likely the first Zelda game in history to reach 10 million depending on what the numbers for the Wii U version are! An absolutely incredible achievement and moment for Nintendo and the Zelda series! One that is very well deserved!  

Not quite, BotW is now #1 in single platform sales but is still 3rd/4th in overall lifetime sales by my count (though I include remasters in my totals).

Ocarina of Time - 7.6 million on N64 + 5.08 million on 3DS = 12.68

Link to the Past - 4.61m original on SNES + 2.7m on GBA (+ 4 million in SNES classic sales [debatable as to whether these should be included I know]) = 7.31m/(11.31m)

Twilight Princess - 7.18m on Wii + 1.59m on GC + 1.23m on Wii U = 10m

Breath of the Wild - 8.48 NS + 1.5 Wii U = 9.98 m

It'll be third or fourth to reach 10mil, depending on how you look at things, it is easily set to be #1 overall in the series though and has already taken the top spot for single platforms as I stated earlier. Though it should be noted these numbers are largely taken from VGchartz so they may undertrack quite a bit due to digital sales of more recent titles. I'm happy to see the series grow, can't wait for the next one.

You dont count remakes/decade old ports

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
BerriJammi said:

Not quite, BotW is now #1 in single platform sales but is still 3rd/4th in overall lifetime sales by my count (though I include remasters in my totals).

Ocarina of Time - 7.6 million on N64 + 5.08 million on 3DS = 12.68

Link to the Past - 4.61m original on SNES + 2.7m on GBA (+ 4 million in SNES classic sales [debatable as to whether these should be included I know]) = 7.31m/(11.31m)

Twilight Princess - 7.18m on Wii + 1.59m on GC + 1.23m on Wii U = 10m

Breath of the Wild - 8.48 NS + 1.5 Wii U = 9.98 m

It'll be third or fourth to reach 10mil, depending on how you look at things, it is easily set to be #1 overall in the series though and has already taken the top spot for single platforms as I stated earlier. Though it should be noted these numbers are largely taken from VGchartz so they may undertrack quite a bit due to digital sales of more recent titles. I'm happy to see the series grow, can't wait for the next one.

You mean you don't. I can do what I want, lol. I stated what they were, take it as it is.

RolStoppable said:
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but Nintendo forecasts 20m for Switch and 4m for 3DS in the fiscal year ending March 2019.

Pokemon might help dramatically to reach that number, but honestly 20 million does seem a lot. ALSO DAMN 3DS, you still selling!

BerriJammi said:
zorg1000 said:

You mean you don't. I can do what I want, lol. I stated what they were, take it as it is.

You can do what you want, if youre ok with being wrong.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I'm a bit confused why a lot of information is excluded in this OP. Such as 3DS and other software.