By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - " Update "When Can Sony Deliver A True Generational Leap? - Digital Foundry & Gamer NX

Do you agree

Yes 12 57.14%

No 2 9.52%

In between 4 19.05%

See result 3 14.29%

Total:21
thismeintiel said:
Trumpstyle said:

Yep, I was on the 2019 team for ps5 release but after jason's article I'm no longer. 2020 is probably the year Sony is aiming for.

Based on this and Eurogamers article this are the spec I believe we see in ps5 now:

Zen 2 with 8 cores and 16 threads, clocked at 3 ghz.
Navi gpu that has 14 TF.
18 GB ggdr6 with 768 GB/s memory bandwith.
1 TB ssd hard drive.

2020, 499$ launch price. It will be marketed as 4k/60fps machine.

In that article, it stated that early dev kits got out 18-24 months before the PS4 launched. Rumors are that PS5 dev kits got out early this year. If that was in February, then a Nov 2019 launch would be ~21 months. So, nothing in that article disproves a 2019 launch. 

"Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019"

This is from the article.

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-1825152206

Also from reading the article there is no information that devs have devkits either, which Jason should know as he is suppose to have the best inside information of all gaming reporters.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

Why is everyone so anxious for some miracle box to release so soon anyway? 

Five years is "so soon" to you? If you were in Jr. high school when PS4 launched, you'd be getting ready for college when PS5 released... IF it released this year. Five years is fucking forever in tech.

Cerebralbore101 said:
BraLoD said:

Well it would be nice but it's not a need.

But they are definitely going for the $500 price tag, as will MS as well.

Honestly they could even go for $600 if both went for it together, it's not 2006 anymore, smartphones are yearly way above that, people are willing to pay that much for new tech if that's the norm, and we could get quite stronger hardware with that as well.

But Sony will not leap $200 on a single time, so it'll be $500.

I forsee a graphics wall where, hardware doesn't determine how good a game looks, but rather the talent behind the studio. The more costly the PS5 the closer it gets to that wall. And the closer it gets to that wall the more future proof it will be. Unless we want 20K, 120 FPS there's no need to go any further after a certain point. IMO the future is in 3-D HMD/VR with a controller as the main input. Not in 20K/120 FPS. 

So yeah, provided BC is there, I welcome a $500 - $600 PS5/XB2.

exactly, only a handful of studios (imo mostly 1st parties) will even be able to make use of the available power (with added detail/ complex physics; complex AI for much more life-like worlds / highly detailed, fluid animations etc) of next gen consoles within a sane dev cycle of 4-5years

that's why most games will mainly offer better image quality and higher framerates, which means there won't be much of a "generational leap" in side-by-side videos

VR could profit a lot though, more high fps games could mean more games get a VR mode and higher res is desperately needed aswell

Pemalite said:

Pure Ray Tracing is still a long way away. So you might as well put that expectation to rest.

What we will get is a hybrid Rasterization/Ray Tracing approach... We started heading down that path with Battlefield 3/Frostbite 2 on the Xbox 360/Playstation 3... But there is so much more room to move forward as compute gets significantly better, the transition is going to take time, it's not going to be an instant jump to pure Ray Tracing.

No need to worry, we can wait for built-in hardware acceleration for it like the PowerVR Wizard architecture ...  

It's all in the good days work for Microsoft (well I guess IHVs also deserve credit too) standardizing DXR ... 

Pemalite said:

There should be a strong likelihood of backwards compatibility.

But just because the chips use the same ISA, doesn't guarantee it though, lots of other things can change that breaks it.

This, there could be some hardware related bugs that some software takes advantage of or an undefined behaviour related to hardware implementations ... 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Johnw1104 said:

Why is everyone so anxious for some miracle box to release so soon anyway? 

Five years is "so soon" to you? If you were in Jr. high school when PS4 launched, you'd be getting ready for college when PS5 released... IF it released this year. Five years is fucking forever in tech.

Five years used to be a long time in tech, it is going slower, and slower now. If PS4 does launch with the specs shown, in 2020, PS4 to PS5 will be by far the smallest gap between PlayStations preformancewise in the history of the brand. Then say you want a PS6 in 2025, the will be an even smaller gap between platforms.

Unless some new form of fabrication becomes viable for mass market, new generations should be taking longer and long. There is no reason to split up userbases, and force consumers to go to new platforms if their is no justifiable performance improvement. Your average Joe consumer, already questioned why they had to buy a PS4/XBO, when they can't hardly tell the difference between PS4 and PS5, what makes you think they are going to upgrade in droves.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Kind of. At best PS5 will be as powerful as today's high-end PCs. In two years time, it will be considered mid-range. Apart from 4k60fps capable machine, I don't think it will look like generational leap in terms of pure visuals. I'm more interested in what devs (especially 1st party) can do with utilizing that Ryzen CPU to its full potential. We could see some very impressive (or even never-seen-before) physics and environments. So it might not look like a leap, but it will most definitely feel like it.

I have been on the 2020-2021 window for a long time =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kristof81 said:
Kind of. At best PS5 will be as powerful as today's high-end PCs. In two years time, it will be considered mid-range. Apart from 4k60fps capable machine, I don't think it will look like generational leap in terms of pure visuals. I'm more interested in what devs (especially 1st party) can do with utilizing that Ryzen CPU to its full potential. We could see some very impressive (or even never-seen-before) physics and environments. So it might not look like a leap, but it will most definitely feel like it.

I think graphics have gotten to a point where it is pretty much impossible to be impressed by any kind of leap in terms of visuals. I mean, look at gow or a fully modded gta5 on pc. We're getting extremely close to photorealism (or actual animation, depending on the visual style).

Next will be physics, AI and world density, but I doubt those things will be able to provide the same level of amazement when simply looking at a game. What I mean to say is, we don't need to go much further in terms of visuals. We're "there" already. What we need, now, is consoles able to provide 4k/60fps gameplay (+HDR). Also, many devs are not able or willing to keep up with the current state of the art visuals. Developing a game that can take full advantage of today's hardware simply cost too much, we don't need to put devs under more pressure simply because hw could theoretically allow them to develop photorealistic games.

GCN can only accomodate 64CU's, custom would be too expensive. Loving the TF numbers people are throwing about. PS5 will not be a massive leap, the pro proved that.

2020 could be the first year when a huge performance leap will be viable and cheap: Zen2 or even Zen3 for CPU cores, mature, powerful and cheap Navi tech or even Next Gen for the GPU (if not delayed Next Gen will already be there, but it's not sure if models with the right performance, consumption and price for consoles will already be available), and last, but not least, maybe by then RAM manufacturers will have caught up with additional demand due to cryptomining, or maybe the whole cryptocurrency bubble will have burst, making RAM dirt cheap thanks to sudden excess supply.
By then the necessary power to do VR at at least 1080p@60fps per eye will be commodity, and most probably even 1440p will be cheap enough, so for VR to finally become mainstream it will only be matter of good headsets and well devised input devices to exist and be cheap enough, and above all of SW making good use of the available HW resources.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!