By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - " Update "When Can Sony Deliver A True Generational Leap? - Digital Foundry & Gamer NX

Do you agree

Yes 12 57.14%

No 2 9.52%

In between 4 19.05%

See result 3 14.29%

Total:21
JamesGarret said:
-$399

Pls Sony

Very probably not enough to create enough distance in GPU power between itself and the PS4 Pro unless very strongly subventionized.

BraLoD said:
2020 for $500

Much more realistic imo.

Considering how well the PS4 is still selling, holding off until 2021 or even 2022 to milk out the PS4 doesn't look impossible either, and at that point a worthy successor could be possible for a 399$ pricetag

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

I must be the only one here.... who doesnt care too much?

I rather sony try to keep it at 400$, than do a 500$ machine thats more powerfull ect.
Graphics are at a point where I honestly dont feel like I need much more.

15 Tflops @499$
13 Tflops at @449$
11 Tflops at @399$

Which is best? imo the 399$ one.

This generation saw increase in both tie-ratio, online subscriptions and micro transactions; thus the acceptable loss on release should be revised.

Wouldn't that make 15tf/450$ possible ? With a possibility of a digital only SKU that would further diminish the price.

Trumpstyle said:
thismeintiel said:

In that article, it stated that early dev kits got out 18-24 months before the PS4 launched. Rumors are that PS5 dev kits got out early this year. If that was in February, then a Nov 2019 launch would be ~21 months. So, nothing in that article disproves a 2019 launch. 

"Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019"

This is from the article.

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-1825152206

Also from reading the article there is no information that devs have devkits either, which Jason should know as he is suppose to have the best inside information of all gaming reporters.

He also says it's possible that those dev kits are under lock and key, so that only higher upside and certain devs can have access to them, like previous ones. If that is the case, which two other reliable leaks seem to suggest, then Jason must not be talking to some of the highest people on the totem pole. Which he doesn't seem to stress that these people are high enough that they definitely would know if there were some out there. Which also makes me doubt he is talking to someone who knows for sure what Sony has planned.

Either way, I'm still sticking with 2019, with an outside chance of 2020.

Hiku said: 
BraLoD said: 

XBO problem was not the price, was that the price was inflated by a mandatory bundle with the Kinect which made it pricer even as it was weaker than the PS4.

With the PS5 and XB4 releases both can confortably sit at $500 and if one is $400 it would need to be stronger than the $500 of the other to make it a problem.

I have zero doubt both of them will be $500 as it's the sweet spot to bring more power and keep the other on track. If, for example, MS releases a $400 console and Sony a stronger for $500 I'm pretty sure the Sony one would sell the most, if they are equivalent in power they should sell similarly as PS is a stronger brand, and if Sony releases the $400 and MS the $500 and Sony's the weaker, it would be the same.

Both companies would want to not lose too much money on each console at release while still keeping the other on check, so none will want to have the weaker machine and going for $500 will be the safest bet for both, unless MS is willing to release a $500 machine for $400 to chew on Sony's market share, which I don't think they will do.

Well there is a risk of your competitor launching for $400 with a slightly more powerful system if you launch for $500.
It's not just hardware that determines the cost, but also how much of a loss the companies are willing to take on console sales. While none ideally want to lose much money on hardware, it's been a tried and true strategy for previous generations. If I recall correctly this was the first console generation where Sony and MS were profitable on their launch systems day 1, but don't quote me on that. 
While there are several reasons for why Xbox lost marketshare this generation, and PS3 did last generation, launch price was none the less one significant factor. 

Barring that Sony and MS sit down to talk and agree on a mutual launch year and pricepoint, I'd wager they are now both weary of launching at a higher price than their competitor. Among other things.

Nah, Sony and MS took a loss with their consoles. Sony said it would take two games, I believe, with each PS4 purchase to break even. Though, this probably has been one of the fastest gens where the price to manufacture has dropped to make the HW profitable, as I believe it only took 6 months after launch for Sony to start making a slight profit on the HW. Next gen should be no different. If Sony sells the PS5 for $399, probably cost them ~$450-$460 to make it. If they sell it for $449, it probably cost them ~$500-$510.

And, yea, there will be much more than price to make up for MS. PS is just too big of brand for MS to take on without a big price advantage (like $150-$200) AND power advantage. Even then, PS3 came out on top. Next gen, MS is, at most, going to have a price advantage of $50-$100, with similar power, which won't help them because of how they are ending this gen. No real brand direction and with a 1st party drought. Personally, I think MS is going to go back to trying to be the most powerful, but at a price higher than PS5, even if only slightly. I think we'll see the XB2 be 5%-10% more powerful than the PS5, and cost $50-$100 more. If so, I see this gen repeating, again, with Sony doing 100M+ and MS 40M+.

Random_Matt said:
GCN can only accomodate 64CU's, custom would be too expensive. Loving the TF numbers people are throwing about. PS5 will not be a massive leap, the pro proved that.

How does the Pro prove anything? To save costs, all they did was double up on the GPU and give it a slightly higher clock, with a few extra features from Vega thrown in. That speaks to nothing except for how they may do a PS5 Pro. A completely different GPU will be just that, different. 

"Generational Leaps," in that they wow us with the advancements and experience, are no longer the sole responsibility of system power.  If it were, we may never experience another "leap" again.  Power could increase 2 or 3x fold at this point and other than upping resolution to 4k and a few games developed by long time huge development teams building upon existing game assets, we would rarely see any differences.  Interface, design, and application are going to be the biggest leaps going forward.  If PS5 grabs ahold of the VR market and revolutionizes the setup, making it mainstream, then THAT would potentially be a "leap" to the degree that we have expected.

Around the Network

They should launch it in 2020 or 2021. Whatever it takes to get a great leap for a great price. And I believe there will be another leap between the first games on the system and the last.

PS5 should launch when light weight 4K VR headsets with reliable inside out and eye tracking are affordable. Headsets need to be available from the start, not another add-on 2 years later.

2020 at the very earliest, 2021 is better.

15tf is not going to bring that generational leap wow factor on a screen anyway. At most you can expect some star citizen like graphics and perhaps some more dynamic lighting. The big leap will be in VR.

What we expect out of a generational leap shapes the answer to this question. If we are talking roughly PS3 to PS4 level and at $400 I'd say 2020 to 2021 is when that will be possible.

Either way, I'm still sticking with 2019, with an outside chance of 2020.

An outside chance? Do you honestly think Sony would shoot themselves in the foot by releasing the PS5 with Tsushima, Last of Us 2 and FF7 Remake still in the pipe? Those are system sellers, that would be so so dumb.

Do the math bro, a 2019 release date isnt gonna happen - no matter which viewpoint you take. 

Kristof81 said:
Kind of. At best PS5 will be as powerful as today's high-end PCs. In two years time, it will be considered mid-range. Apart from 4k60fps capable machine, I don't think it will look like generational leap in terms of pure visuals. I'm more interested in what devs (especially 1st party) can do with utilizing that Ryzen CPU to its full potential. We could see some very impressive (or even never-seen-before) physics and environments. So it might not look like a leap, but it will most definitely feel like it.

Yes I believe so too. Except I'm getting more positive towards the Navi gpu. I think the radeon 680 will beat the 1080 ti from Nvidia and have similiar performance to geforce 2080. Ps5/xbox two gpus will probably beat the geforce 1080 ti by about 10-20% :). So a bit higher than a high end pc.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!