By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the Most Brazen Attacks in the History of the Console Wars?

Tagged games:

KLAMarine said:
bananaking21 said:
The crash bandicoot add where he went over to mints did headquarters. That's was epic

Phone auto-correct?

Fucking hell. My phone's auto correct sometimes annoys the living hell out of me. It literally changes words after I'm done writing an entire sentence sometimes. I don't even notice it because It changes words after writing 2 or 3 others. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
KLAMarine said:

Phone auto-correct?

Fucking hell. My phone's auto correct sometimes annoys the living hell out of me. It literally changes words after I'm done writing an entire sentence sometimes. I don't even notice it because It changes words after writing 2 or 3 others. 

They're called smart phones for a reason.

Shadow1980 said:
KLAMarine said:

Did Nintendo ever attack competitors in their ads?

Only once that I can recall, and it was a rather mild one:

Wow. Tame indeed.

Shadow1980 said:
KLAMarine said:

Did Nintendo ever attack competitors in their ads?

Only once that I can recall, and it was a rather mild one:

AlfredoTurkey said:

Isn't it hilarious? The fact that SNES and Genesis people still fight with each other online is insane... yet so glorious lol

Y'know, I never saw any of that growing up. From when I was in 5th grade all the way through middle school, the 16-bit era was in full force, yet I never recall any big arguments between Nintendo and Sega fans. One of the good things about the pre-internet age, I guess. Of course, I had both systems and enjoyed both of them (though I did prefer the SNES), so even had I encountered any of the fanboy wars of the early 90s, I never would have understood why anyone would have preferred one brand and despite the other, kind of like how I don't understand how some Star Wars fans hate Star Trek and some Trekkies hate Star Wars. Why not enjoy both since they're both different things that have a lot of enjoyment to offer?

I encountered some of it. Mostly the whole Nintendo is for nerds and little kids and Sega is for cool teenager stuff... which was straight up marketing-based manipulation. But like you, I had both so, I never really bought into it. I do remember thinking that Genesis was cooler, and looking back, maybe it really was. But as far as enjoyment, I enjoyed them equally.

"Someone please get the guys who make cartridge games a cigarette and a blindfold."

"...Now please excuse us while we rip off their analogue stick."

Is what the ad should have said, lol.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet:

LOL. In the small print is the following: "... and making sure Game Gear remains the number one color portable, which should be no problem considering the competition." Which is kinda funny, seeing how it turned out.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

What first comes to mind for me is E3, 1995.  Sega had just talked all about how the Saturn would be the first console of Gen 5 for a $399 price tag.  Then Sony comes up and just says one thing.

Two that I can think of (and won't provide any images or links to)from Nintendo:

-The 1994 "Blast of Hot Air" SNES ad that pretty much destroyed the Sega Genesis. It was designed to look like an article in EGM magazine and bashed the Sega console pretty hard.

-The Starfox 64 VHS tape that was mailed to Nintendo Power subscribers that called out Sega and Sony. It's probably on YouTube. When it was over I wanted to go outside and fight a Sega/Sony owner. Probably would have gotten my ass kicked!

https://youtu.be/NBF3X3ZaS2Q

Last edited by d21lewis - on 06 April 2018

Also there were a couple like Atari's", Do the Math" campaign comparing the supposed 64-Bit Jaguar to the 16-Bit Genesis and SNES.

And one from SNK and their Neo Geo that showed their console as a hot dog with everything on it while the 16-Bit competition looked raw, soggy, and naked. It had some stats right beside it that really showed the difference in power.

Nintendo should definitely re-use that Add to advertise the Crash Trilogy coming to Switch haha

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 April 2018