By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the Most Brazen Attacks in the History of the Console Wars?

Tagged games:

donathos said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

SOA were the kings of trash talk. Sony tried and did a very good job emulating it with PS1 vs N64 but nothing like Sega during the 16-bit wars.

My favorite is probably the blast processing commercial where they make SNES and Mario Kart look like something that only your mentally challenged five year old cousin would be caught dead playing.

Those ads were so effective that it took two decades for Nintendo to be "cool" again and even then, they still haven't shaken the image of being something for children.

Yep. Those ads were so effective that, to this day, I kind of hate Sonic/Sega, lol.

Isn't it hilarious? The fact that SNES and Genesis people still fight with each other online is insane... yet so glorious lol

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
KLAMarine said:

Did Nintendo ever attack competitors in their ads?

I remember a very civilized Nintendo print ad in the 16 bit era that went after Sega for releasing so many add-ons. I think it may have even mentioned the Saturn ( although not by name ). It was pretty dry, and read more like a PSA than a video game ad, but it liked it at the time, and thought it made some good points. This was right before Nintendo changed things up to counter Sega, and launched their "Play It Loud" campaign, which was heavy on elements such as: Skateboards flying through the air, young people screaming, and old people being stupid.

Sounds tame. Wish I could read it.

KLAMarine said:
COKTOE said:

I remember a very civilized Nintendo print ad in the 16 bit era that went after Sega for releasing so many add-ons. I think it may have even mentioned the Saturn ( although not by name ). It was pretty dry, and read more like a PSA than a video game ad, but it liked it at the time, and thought it made some good points. This was right before Nintendo changed things up to counter Sega, and launched their "Play It Loud" campaign, which was heavy on elements such as: Skateboards flying through the air, young people screaming, and old people being stupid.

Sounds tame. Wish I could read it.

Oh, it was tame all right. A recitation of it in full could be used to put a room of babies to sleep. I looked for it this morning before heading out to the acid mines, but came up empty handed. I can tell you a few more things about it though. It was long winded. Paragraphs in length. It was made to look like it was part of the editorial content of the magazine, and as such, had a disclaimer, stating it was a paid advertisement. It featured the following 2 sentences, almost verbatim: "Sega says they want to "ease" you into the next generation. Maybe they should ease up on your wallet?" I'll try again to find it, but I've exhausted a fair number of search terms already.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

How has nobody mentioned this legendary commercial yet? Crash trolling outside of a Nintendo building. Kind of funny seeing as how Crash fell off the radar once and will soon be on the Switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

COKTOE said:

This FFVII/PS1 print ad from Sony and Square is pretty nasty. Taking aim at Nintendo, the N64 and it's use of cartridges. This is not the full ad, but it is the probably the cleanest image of it I could find.

Pictured - "Somebody please get the guys who make cartridge games a cigarette and a blindfold"

Not pictured, at the bottom of the ad - "Possibly the greatest game ever made is available only on Playstation. Good thing. If it were available on cartridge, it's retail for around $1,200."

Link to a blurry af and ginormous full image: http://i.imgur.com/AzkZb44.jpg

walterbates said:

Microsoft's 'E304 The Novice 4000k' featuring Donald Trump. This was a comedy skit based on Trump's 'The Apprentice' show and was made for E3 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUaeFFkzKqs

Shadow1980 said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet:

And of course there was a TV ad to go along with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
JRPGfan said:

probably this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

When MS was being really anti consumer, with:
always online, DRM, game buy = license used up when installed, shareing games would  cost you money ect ect.

Sony put out this "here's who you trade a PS4 game" video and it musta felt like a kick to the nuts for Xbox.

Yeah this is probably my favorite as well.
Partially because unlike many other attacks or adds where we don't know the person behind those statements, here we have Shuhei Yoshida in the video. That, along with how simple they kept the video made it feel more impactful. And I find these "subtle but not-so-subtle" indirect call outs more in good fun than calling someone colorblind, or that they should be executed.

Yeah, this one is my favorite too. 

It's completely savage and really finished killing the One, but it also have a friendly and natural feeling. Like "Hey guys, let's all laugh together about MS fail!". Both of them seem to have done this quickly after the MS conference, and genuinely seem to have fun doing this. That was an awesome and hilarious moment during an already savage conference. 

The crash bandicoot ad where he went over to nintendos headquarters. That's was epic

Last edited by bananaking21 - on 05 April 2018

Well, not quite console related, but it might just backfire more these days.

For example I remember there was a racing game that advertised itself by starting with a Mario Kart parody, and then went 'here's a real racer'. It....apparently didn't go over well sales wise, and more people apparently were interested in the M.K Parody than it.

Blur, I think it was called.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

bananaking21 said:
The crash bandicoot add where he went over to mints did headquarters. That's was epic

Phone auto-correct?

AlfredoTurkey said:
donathos said:

Yep. Those ads were so effective that, to this day, I kind of hate Sonic/Sega, lol.

Isn't it hilarious? The fact that SNES and Genesis people still fight with each other online is insane... yet so glorious lol

There's a book I read not too long about on the subject called Console Wars by Blake Harris -- it tells the story from Sega's side, and is a fascinating read for those of us who were at the right age at the time.