By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the Most Brazen Attacks in the History of the Console Wars?

Tagged games:

COKTOE said:
Paperboy_J said:
"Someone please get the guys who make cartridge games a cigarette and a blindfold."

"...Now please excuse us while we rip off their analogue stick."

Is what the ad should have said, lol.

It almost always becomes a huge mess when the topic of "who did what first" is brought up. For this specific case though? Sony improved on the original Nintendo concept to such a degree that it's DS1 analog stick setup has been industry standard for over 20 years, while nobody aside the overpaid R&D dummies at Sega, ( who managed to double-down on it, with the Saturn and then somehow, almost beyond belief, again with the DC ) has aped the N64 single stick setup. It was a huge upgrade. Referring to it as a mere ripoff is not accurate.

But how is it industry standard when only PlayStation uses that layout....other consoles moved on to a more improved layout like 17 years ago.....

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Azuren said:

Radical change in placement of the stick and adding a second stick is a bit more revolutionary than making the top of a stick concave.

Adding a second stick is nothing revolutionary, only common sense. The GameCube controller wouldn't be too different even if ps1 and ps2 didn't exist. Sega genesis having more face buttons than nes/send wasn't revolutionary.

Goldeneye and select few other games had a two controller option where you held both controllers to have control of two analog sticks and two triggers at the same time. It was only a matter of time, and it would've been done with or without Sony.

How do we know that? That's impossible to know.

flashfire926 said:
Azuren said:

Radical change in placement of the stick and adding a second stick is a bit more revolutionary than making the top of a stick concave.

Adding a second stick is nothing revolutionary, only common sense. The GameCube controller wouldn't be too different even if ps1 and ps2 didn't exist. Sega genesis having more face buttons than nes/send wasn't revolutionary.

Goldeneye and select few other games had a two controller option where you held both controllers to have control of two analog sticks and two triggers at the same time. It was only a matter of time, and it would've been done with or without Sony.

Was it common sense? Because people seemed content playing southpaw, as evidenced by the Dreamcast.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

It almost always becomes a huge mess when the topic of "who did what first" is brought up. For this specific case though? Sony improved on the original Nintendo concept to such a degree that it's DS1 analog stick setup has been industry standard for over 20 years, while nobody aside the overpaid R&D dummies at Sega, ( who managed to double-down on it, with the Saturn and then somehow, almost beyond belief, again with the DC ) has aped the N64 single stick setup. It was a huge upgrade. Referring to it as a mere ripoff is not accurate.

But how is it industry standard when only PlayStation uses that layout....other consoles moved on to a more improved layout like 17 years ago.....

Layout has nothing to do with it. Dual analog is the standard. That the layout of the sticks is "improved" is a matter of opinion.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
flashfire926 said:

Layout has nothing to do with it. Dual analog is the standard. That the layout of the sticks is "improved" is a matter of opinion.

edit: fine, dual sticks is standard, but not the PS setup. Literally all other consoles use a different setup.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
flashfire926 said:

So are we gonna assume that we would still have one stick today without the PS1? I highly doubt it. Besides, Nintendo already dipped a toe in dual sticks/dual triggers with the example I gave...

Bet with Intrinsic:

flashfire926 said:
VGPolyglot said:

So are we gonna assume that we would still have one stick today without the PS1? I highly doubt it. Besides, Nintendo already dipped a toe in dual sticks/dual triggers with the example I gave...

I'm saying that we can never know since it's an alternate reality that never occurred.

Azuren said:
Azzanation said:

It has only revolutationized Playstation. No other brand uses there configuration.

Thank Nintendo for popularizing the analog controls. If Sony had that idea they would have brought out those sticks at launch. Its the exact same case many years later with the PS Move.

No other brand uses two analog sticks in conjunction, nor have they moved their single stick away from the bottom center of the controller.

Got it.

No other well known brand uses the DS analog stick layout. Only playstation. To make matters worse the DS1 is basically a SNES controller and later added 2 N64 analog sticks and the N64 Rumble Pack. I think you see the trend here.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 April 2018

Just watched the "This is how you share your games on Playstation" video, and read a few comments... I'm impressed by the number of people who don't understand the joke, because they had no idea about the initial Xbox One announcements. Ignorance is bliss! ^^

VGPolyglot said:
flashfire926 said:

I'm saying that we can never know since it's an alternate reality that never occurred.

Yeah, we can never say for sure. 

But to say merely duplicating the analog stick so there is two of them isnt any mindblowing innovation like people here are making it out to be.

Bet with Intrinsic: