By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why was GTA 4 universally overrated?

Nogamez said:
Shhh only Zelda games are overrated.

:) Actually yeah, they are...they really are!

Around the Network

I think in a way it was the media's answer to the hegemony of the Wii. The same situation is happening with certain games against the hegemony of the PS4.

Because 5 and San Andreas have it beat in basically every way

Barkley said:

Did it deserve a 98? hell no. But it also doesn't deserve the amount of negativity directed towards it either imo.

It's overrated by critics, and underrated by users.

I feel the same way.
Not nearly one of the best games of all time, but easily a 9/10.

On a technical level it was not one but two generations above San Andreas.
World map could've been more varied, but it's easily the best Liberty City ever created.
Niko Bellic isn't my favourite character in the series but definitely not as cliche as previous GTA protagonists.
Mission variety wasn't as varied due to it going for a more realistic route.
Camera and Gunplay is much improved. Vehicles are not as arcadey, but many didn't like that change.

I found the game to be less interesting than the previous entries.. it felt like there was less content and less things to do (taking away some of the good things you could do in the previous games).

I had to play the game from scratch 3 times to get past the taxi rank mission, it was a slog, but once I did that I did end up enjoying it. But didn't feel as good as the others, and I think the whole moving to a new gen caused it lots of problems.

I might go back and play it actually, been a while, and I am sure I missed a lot of things you could see/do, for example I didn't go to the comedy club to see Ricky Gervais etc.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

While i agree that GTA 4 was in some ways a step back from San Andreas, I feel that most people just weren't (or aren't) ready for a mature GTA game.

The cellphone mechanic was so damned annoying in GTAIV

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 31 March 2018

Nogamez said:
Shhh only Zelda games are overrated.

no a lot more than zelda is overrated. Uncharted is a great example. almost every console flagship is, Halo was generally not overrated except  4 and 5 were not exactly great. especially 5 that game was actually mediocre.  at least thats my opinion

Mr Puggsly said:
It was a technical marvel, game mechanics felt great, and story/voice acting was exceptional.

The only thing really wrong with the game is the campaign kinda sucks. If they just made some tweaks it could be a lot more enjoyable though, like mission checkpoints would make it less tedious (which was added in DLC expansions).

you must have not drove a car in GTA IV if you think the game mechanics were great.  

I do agree it's overrated however, i don't think it's a bad game. the driving was annoying, the color palette was awful, and it removed a lot of good features from previous titles which i found odd. it was just an ok game to me.