By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI coming September 4th to PS4 and Steam - Switch 'much later', no 3DS version

Wow, I don't recall hearing that DQ XI would be coming to PC/Steam so soon. That's phenomenal news.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Barkley said:
No localisation of the 3ds version is really weird. As is still knowing absolutely nothing about it on the Switch.

Square-Enix is biased against Nintendo systems. If it weren't for Nintendo taking on localisation and publishing duties, virtually all of Square-Enix's 3DS and Switch games would have remained Japan-exclusive.

Square-Enix general approach to fan requests for their 3DS and Switch games is "Ask Nintendo." The lack of a 3DS release of Dragon Quest XI in the West doesn't come as a surprise. The Switch version being an uninteresting side project isn't shocking either. It's par for the course for this publisher.

Well, I guess there is still lingering uneasiness between the two.

About time. Showing me a cool collectors edition Square

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Hiku said:
Valdath said:
No Switch version yet makes sense, it hasn't even come out on Japan guys.

People are surprised it's taking so long to come out in Japan.
Square Enix first talked about interest in a Switch (NX) version in July 2015.
https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-and-3ds-1720543034

If it releases in 2019, that's around 4 years after they first mentioned the Switch version, and 2 years after the PS4 and 3DS versions released in Japan.
If the "much later" comment is accurate, it may be late 2019, or even 2020. Kinda crazy.
We still haven't seen a screenshot for it.

Ljink96 said:
Lol, why'd Square talk about a Switch version in 2016 if they knew it was going to take more time to release. It'll be late 2019 or early 2020 by the looks of it. Going with the Steam version then. And no 3DS version? Square just wants Nintendo to publish it for them as usual, man they're cheap.

I believe SE first officially announced it for Switch in 2016, but they talked about interest in a Switch version in July 2015.
https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-and-3ds-1720543034
I don't think anyone expected it to take this long. And we still haven't even seen a screenshot of the Switch version.

Maybe the Switch version is going to be completely different, just like how the 3DS version differs from the PS4 version.

Oh yeah, that's right, it was 2015! It's just sad. But as you said, perhaps the Switch version will contain the UE4 version, and possibly the 3DS versions as stand alone titles. They could go a number of ways with this. The game itself may be experiencing issues with UE4, but most likely from Armor Project's (DQXI's developer) incapability with the engine, as even the PS4 version has issues. And yes, a screenshot or something would suffice.

But oh well, by the time it hits Switch I'll been have played it, so skipping Switch version when it does come.

Maybe they want the PS4 and PC versions released on the west before bringing up the Switch one to not lose potential double dippers?

Around the Network

It’s good to see the big Japanese games back on PlayStation.

Very nice looking forward to play this game on my PS4!

finally the next great jrpg comes to the west

At this point, Square announcements of games feels like a joke.No release date or even footage of the Switch version is basically a disservice to the fans.But at least the game is comming rather soon to the PS4.Depending on how good the game is and how much it ends up costing for me to pick it up where I am, I will buy it at launch

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I was really waiting for the 3DS version T-T I´ll have to wait for a fanmade translation and flash one of my 3DS :(