By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI coming September 4th to PS4 and Steam - Switch 'much later', no 3DS version

BasilZero said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Like pirate on 3ds/PC and pass ps4 ver

Its possible to pirate on the PS4 version especially with the latest exploit l0l.

@OT - Great news - shame about the 3DS version being canned in the west - will eventually emulate it but will buy the Steam version in the future.

Hoping for DQ5 and DQ8 to come out.

No, PC ver will be superior to ps4 ver

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Nautilus said:

Thats the crux of the problem to be quite honest.I still think that those japanese companies that have good relations with Nintendo "sinned" in not jumping in early on the Switch, or at least gave it an honest try, even though Square kind of did with Octopath and some somewhat decent port of the DQ musou games.But if you had to choose betwenn the two evils of not announcing anything until its ready, or announcing it but having barely anything put together, the first one should always have the preference.

Or maybe they are just slow in transitioning and doing the waiting game rather than gambling their resources with unproven platform because of.

• Shrinking sales in Japan.
  • JP 3rd party devs are looking at WW now.
  • Expensive cartridge
But now that Switch is a success then we are seeing the transition now. As Switch grows bigger then more support will come from JP 3rd party devs. 

@bold
I will choose the 2nd one since we are talking about DQXI. Because with the 2nd one I have the option to choose. If I will wait or play it on the available platform when it comes available. 

Well you are not wrong.But you already know my stance about these companies that have/had strong ties with Nintendo and their initial stance with the Switch.Any business venture is risky, but they had(Square for example) a much better chance of sucess due to their history with the company, and thus had the fanbase, and had a compelling software that could be put there.And with little competition, could have made quite the headway into carving its own market on the platform.But as I said, you already know my opinion about this and its not that you are wrong or I am right or vice versa, it simply seems/was a missed oportunity.

And sorry for the late reply, went travelling this past weekend.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Weird decision about the 3ds. JRPGs normally sell well on that platform even in the West

If the technical issues are really demanding, hard to deal with, then it would make a lot more sense releasing the 3ds version and leaving the Switch version aside for the West.... 

Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

The point is that the context of the thread allows such, lets say observations. Given that the OP itself states that the Switch version dosent even have footage of the game, let alone what it will end up becoming, statements like the "Switch being the best version" is obviously an opinion, simply by a matter of deduction by these facts, given that it cant be the best version without knowing how the game will turn up.Its like when you ask your friend whats their favorite band and they simüply answer "Metallica".Will you be mad with him because he didnt say "In my opinion is Metallica"?Of course not, because it is already understood, given the context of the situation, that any answer will fall under the opinion umbrella.Thats what Im trying to say.If the topic of the thread was different, then it would be a different story, but thats not the case.

Look, Im not saying you or Chaz is wrong, and putting a imo could very well make for a more complete sentence.But what Im trying to say is that its not necessary.You may think Im lazy, but writing these posts take time.For instance, this one Im writing right now took 10 minutes give or take.And its not like I dont have anything else to do.So in order to cut corners, to make the reply faster without destrying the message, you make it simpler, believeing that the context of the thread and/or the topic will fill in the voids such as the imo parts.It may sound silly, but not needing to remember and add those small bits could and can save time, even if only seconds.And not to sound like a jerk, but I value each second that I can get.

Well that depends on who is reading it, doesn't it? And which posts they've read.
I had someone ask a question in my recent thread that was answered in my OP. And aside from a video, my OP only consisted of one small (two sentences long) paragraph. So it's not like they skipped my post because there was too much to read.

Aside from people who skip reading certain posts in a thread, including parts of the OP (which I'm sure we all do at times), what you and I conclude from such a comment could be different from what RandomForumLurker34WhoPostsOnceAYear takes away from a comment like that.

Although some times, it's less of an issue, like in this case. But other times it can be rather unclear if it's an opinion and what could have motivated the comment. And I find that by making a habit of often considering the way I word my opinions, I've avoided causing unnecessary misunderstandings many times. Especially in cases where I feel that people would question why I have a certain opinion, if they read it.

Just before I barged in on your and Chaz's discussion here, I questioned someone here for the exact same issue you two are discussing now.
Only the post was worded like this. "Switch is just a better platform all around."
Switch is nothing but a better platform all around. So I asked the poster what he meant by that. Because being just better all around (and nothing else) sounds like it's simply better in every aspect.
And in the same post I also replied to someone who proclaimed that "the Switch version of DQXI is inferior". He doesn't know that. It may come with an extra storymode that the PS4 and PC versions don't have for example.
This is why I'd go one step beyond Chaz, and not only prefer an "imo", but often also a reasoning for the opinion.

But if you want to skip both of those things, I won't resent you for it.
I may ask you a few questions about your post that I wouldn't have asked otherwise, but that's about it.
Though in such situations I believe we both spend more time than we would have if an "imo" or a word or two regarding the reasoning was added from the start. So if you want to save time, that's something to consider as well. But that's my opinion.

Sorry for the late reply.Just shortly after you replied to me, I went travelling with my family, and returned just yesterday.Sorry if I couldnt answer any faster, but I had to be in a PC to properly reply to you.

I understand what you mean, but I think you are generalizing things.Overall, I agree with you.Depending on the thread/discussion you are having, the more detailed your post is, the better it is for the overall discussion.The problem about forums and text based communication is that you dont have the body language to rely upon, in which is where the details of conversations are communicated, such as sarcasm, uncertainty, superiority in relation to another, and so on.So for that same meaning to be passed upon correctly through a means of communication that only uses letters and words, you need to use more details, so that your message, whatever you want to say, is understood more clearly.So yeah, I do agree with you on that.

The point I was initially trying to make, and is exclusively related to that, is that in this thread, about that specific subject, a more detailed post was simply not needed to convey its message.As you said, there could be problems such as the reader not reading the OP and thus not understanding fully what the user meant, but then thats not the user problem.Thats the reader problem, because it is assumed and rightfully so, by the one that post something on the thread, that everyone knows the contents of the OP.If you start assuming things and cover all ground, you could go forever like that.Maybe the one reading dosent understand what imo means?Then you would need to write "in my opinion" everytime.Maybe they dont understand english?Well, its better to translate to all major languages what you mean then.Maybe you end up using some word that is racist in some other country by accident, like jap is for the japanese(just learned that).Well then, you better know all slurs there is to know so that you are completely and utterly politically correct to everyone.I know I used some extreme examples, but you get what I mean.

So then I think that posts in threads should be as complete as the thread requires.If its a more serious discussion, that a more complete post is probably required.If its a more casual thread, like this, then a more casual answer is probably more appropriate(read it as not as complete and full of details).The problem with the internet is that we wouldnt be having these kind of discussions in real life, because if you were to trying to "impose"(its not what you are doing, relax.Not criticizing you or anything) what people should say or how should they say without a good motive, people would get bored of you, bully you, stop talking to you, etc.There would be real consequences that affect your life.But in the internet, its everything very distant, unconsequencional.No people are more feel more safe and easy to say the first thing that comes to their mind without thinking twice.And thats why we need moderatiors or stuff like that.But Im going wayyyyyyy offtrack with this and its actually a whole different discussion.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Rogerioandrade said:
Weird decision about the 3ds. JRPGs normally sell well on that platform even in the West

If the technical issues are really demanding, hard to deal with, then it would make a lot more sense releasing the 3ds version and leaving the Switch version aside for the West.

.......Not really.3DS sales are declining, but most importantly its software are starting to move very few units.While on the other hand, Switch is breaking sales recortds and developers are clamoring left and right that their games are selling really well on the Switch.

Betwenn 3DS and Switch, the Switch version is a no brainer.Beyond obvious really.But given that the 3DS version was already developed and the game would already be translated due to the dialogue not being different from the one in the PS4 version(as far as I know), this feels like and odd decision.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Rogerioandrade said:

If the technical issues are really demanding, hard to deal with, then it would make a lot more sense releasing the 3ds version and leaving the Switch version aside for the West.

.......Not really.3DS sales are declining, but most importantly its software are starting to move very few units.While on the other hand, Switch is breaking sales recortds and developers are clamoring left and right that their games are selling really well on the Switch.

Betwenn 3DS and Switch, the Switch version is a no brainer.Beyond obvious really.But given that the 3DS version was already developed and the game would already be translated due to the dialogue not being different from the one in the PS4 version(as far as I know), this feels like and odd decision.

ah, right. I see your point. Taking advantage of the popularity of the platform to boost sales.

To me, it´s somewhat dissapointing.... I was really hoping to play that game on the 3ds. 

still waiting on a collectors announcement,square

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Nautilus said:

Well you are not wrong.But you already know my stance about these companies that have/had strong ties with Nintendo and their initial stance with the Switch.Any business venture is risky, but they had(Square for example) a much better chance of sucess due to their history with the company, and thus had the fanbase, and had a compelling software that could be put there.And with little competition, could have made quite the headway into carving its own market on the platform.But as I said, you already know my opinion about this and its not that you are wrong or I am right or vice versa, it simply seems/was a missed oportunity.

And sorry for the late reply, went travelling this past weekend.

I know I won't be able to convince you because you already made up your mind even with hard evidence. You still think that way. 
But then again I won't stop defending the decision of some 3rd party devs. because it happen before with PS4, it happened with Switch now and most likely it will happen with PS5. Also,  if you look at PS4  before then compare it to Switch now. Switch has a better JP 3rd party support than PS4 in it's early years. 

That's also how  JP3rd party operates now. The PS1, PS2, DS and 3DS era is over. 
The market is very different now and it will be a hard transition for a lot of JP3rd party devs. They will maximize PS4 and Vita to the last drop and same thing will happen with Switch. Unless PS5 or NSw2 will change that because normally a lot Japanese games don't sell well that's why they limit their budget so they can profit. 

Some publisher will wait some will not. It might not good for a specific fanbase but if this 3rd party devs will still support my platform even with PS5 being released that's okay because I will transition to the next when I am ready because buying a new hardware expecting a lot of JP3rd party games  early on is very unwise.

Adding voice acting expands the game size greatly and I'm sure Square Enix and other companies, western or Japanese, won't release their big sized games until Nintendo approves the 64GB cart. So i can see the 'much later' being late 2019 since the cards wont be ready until Q1 2019.

Who is the new JRPG-King (after Persona 5) this year ?

Dragon Quest XI, Ni No Kuni 2 or Kingdom Hearts 3 ? very exciting DAY 1 = All 3.