By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI coming September 4th to PS4 and Steam - Switch 'much later', no 3DS version

Hiku said:
Valdath said:
No Switch version yet makes sense, it hasn't even come out on Japan guys.

People are surprised it's taking so long to come out in Japan.
Square Enix first talked about interest in a Switch (NX) version in July 2015.
https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-and-3ds-1720543034

If it releases in 2019, that's around 4 years after they first mentioned the Switch version, and 2 years after the PS4 and 3DS versions released in Japan.
If the "much later" comment is accurate, it may be late 2019, or even 2020. Kinda crazy.
We still haven't seen a screenshot for it.

Ljink96 said:
Lol, why'd Square talk about a Switch version in 2016 if they knew it was going to take more time to release. It'll be late 2019 or early 2020 by the looks of it. Going with the Steam version then. And no 3DS version? Square just wants Nintendo to publish it for them as usual, man they're cheap.

I believe SE first officially announced it for Switch in 2016, but they talked about interest in a Switch version in July 2015.
https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-and-3ds-1720543034
I don't think anyone expected it to take this long. And we still haven't even seen a screenshot of the Switch version.

Maybe the Switch version is going to be completely different, just like how the 3DS version differs from the PS4 version.

I think most of us had expected the switch port to be in active development for a while by the time they announced it with the other versions. It's becoming increasingly clear that it probably wasn't.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

Or maybe you are being overzealous and a bit paranoid?

I mean, if I were to be "correct" with my opinion, I would have to give a warning to the reader every two or three lines that whatever I wrote was my opinion.

Not really. People like to make personal statements as if they were facts. A bit ignorant to suggest that no one ever does that or has ever done that before. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Hiku said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Well it is definitely the best format for me.  At this point I am collecting way to many consoles, and I would prefer fewer consoles with large libraries than having a ton of consoles hooked up to a TV set.  Not only is Switch portable, but carts are smaller and more durable than disks.  I plenty of retro games, so the graphical difference between Switch and PS4 doesn't matter to me at all.  Instead I just want a large library of games that are reliable and easy to store in as small a space as possible.  For all the things I want, Switch is clearly better.

Yeah, but it's different saying "Switch is the best platform for me", and "Switch is just a better platform all around."
If for example someone likes to play on a TV and like to own games digitally, PS4 or XBO could very well be more convenient for them.

As for cartridges being more durable than discs, that is true. But while I'm not sure what you do with your discs, mine are either in the console, or in their gameboxes. I'd be surprised if there's a notable scratch on any of my games. Same goes for fingerprints. Out of curiosity I just took a look at the first PS3 disc I bought (Valkyria Chronicles) and it looks brand new, as expected. But if you have an issue with keeping your discs in good condition (could be other people who grab your games carelessly) then cartridges can be a plus.
Though I've seen videos of people butchering PS4 discs with kitchen knives, and they still work because Blu-Ray discs have a protective film layer on top. But when they started drawing on the discs with a pen, they stopped working. That said, I've also seen videos of scratched PS4/XBO discs not working, so who knows. I wouldn't risk it, so I'm careful with how I hold my discs.

But unless you don't store your games in their gameboxes (which sounds possible based on what you've said), the size of the cartridge vs a disc isn't what makes up for the space you save, but rather the game boxes.

And in that case there's about a 30% difference, rather than a c.a. 1500% difference between a Switch cartridge and a game disc.
Not something I'd base my console of choice decision on, but a nice perk if I happen to have that system.

If you don't store your games in their gameboxes, how do you store them?
Looking back, I have stored some of my older console's games outside of their gameboxes because I had a specific case or stand for them. For N64 for example. But that was partially because the game boxes were inconvenient to open and close. The way they were designed back then, you risked damaging the box when you opened it. Ever since we got more convenient plastic game boxes, I've always kept them inside. Because they look more presentable that way in a bookshelf, and whatnot. And easier for me to sort.

I can relate to wanting less consoles, and less clutter though. And the one system that offers you the most games you are interested in playing. Many people feel the same, and only own one console for that reason.

I've never had a problem with new disks, but I have had plenty of problems with used disks, including Blue Ray disks.  So far I've only bought a handful of Switch games, because it's a new system and also I've bought them all new.  As the system progresses I expect to buy a lot more games, especially used games.  I want to know that they are all going to be in good condition.  I also have a 9-year old and I am much more comfortable with her handling carts instead of disks.

Also, right now I am keeping my Switch games in their original boxes right now, but I probably will not do that forever.  Really the game industry does not give me much reason to keep the box anymore, since they don't even include game manuals or other inserts.  Once I get a lot more games, I'll look for a real good storage case.  Then I can either toss my game boxes or at least store them away in a closet somewhere.

I'm looking forward to more and more ports coming out for Switch games, so I can get rid of my disks.  For example once Dark Souls comes out then I can get rid of my PS3 version.  I want as much of my library as possible to "Switch" over.

Chazore said:
Nautilus said:

Or maybe you are being overzealous and a bit paranoid?

I mean, if I were to be "correct" with my opinion, I would have to give a warning to the reader every two or three lines that whatever I wrote was my opinion.

Not really. People like to make personal statements as if they were facts. A bit ignorant to suggest that no one ever does that or has ever done that before. 

Not saying that people dont do this, just saying that its not the rule, but rather the exception.

And you saying that, a user that has a PC Master Race image on the signature, is funny to say the least.I know thats a joke, but you cant deny the irony.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

Not saying that people dont do this, just saying that its not the rule, but rather the exception.

And you saying that, a user that has a PC Master Race image on the signature, is funny to say the least.I know thats a joke, but you cant deny the irony.

I am aware, but it hasn't stopped people on this forum with thinking their opinion is fact, without saying "imo".

I know you think of it as irony, but have you noticed the variation within the bottom half of the signature?  

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Nautilus said:

I am aware, but it hasn't stopped people on this forum with thinking their opinion is fact, without saying "imo".

I know you think of it as irony, but have you noticed the variation within the bottom half of the signature?  

But they are still the exception.Thus I dont think it warrants harrashment, even if minor, to users who are not known to do it.In my opinion.

But yeah, I have always wondered what those numbers where.FPS fluctuation?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:

But they are still the exception.Thus I dont think it warrants harrashment, even if minor, to users who are not known to do it.In my opinion.

I do not count them separately from those that do. It's either you say "imo", or you're stating it as if it's fact. it's not hard to go "imo" in this day and age.

Not sure about that bolded part though. That could easily lend itself to SJW territory (the kind that want it to "factually" seem like it is harassment").

The sig I was talking about was "may our Framerates be high, and our temps low", rather than "dirty console peasants". 

The numbers below the sig are old code.

Chazore said:
Nautilus said:

I do not count them separately from those that do. It's either you say "imo", or you're stating it as if it's fact. it's not hard to go "imo" in this day and age.

Not sure about that bolded part though. That could easily lend itself to SJW territory (the kind that want it to "factually" seem like it is harassment").

The sig I was talking about was "may our Framerates be high, and our temps low", rather than "dirty console peasants". 

The numbers below the sig are old code.

Its not that its hard or not, you simply dont remember.I dont write imo for example, simply because I never consider people taking it to that side.

Well, lets agree to disagree then.

Nautilus said:

Its not that its hard or not, you simply dont remember.I dont write imo for example, simply because I never consider people taking it to that side.

it's easy to remember that something you give out is your opinion, as easy as it is to remember a fact taken from a book or piece of objective information. 

I'm afraid I cannot.

Chazore said:
Nautilus said:

it's easy to remember that something you give out is your opinion, as easy as it is to remember a fact taken from a book or piece of objective information. 

I'm afraid I cannot.

I'm confused then, is it supposed to be ironic or not?

Edit: Whoops, I quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote the framerate and temperature post.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 29 March 2018