By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the most overrated game ever in your opinion?

Depends. What's your favorite game?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

GTA IV

Red Dead Redemption is the first that comes to mind. It's a good game no question, but I never understood the critical acclaim it got. Everything about the game is good, but I can't think of a single aspect that's genuinely excellent. The story is good, the characters are good, the gameplay is good, the music is good, the graphics are good, but nothing rises above that.

Machina said:
All-time highest Metacritic games:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - 99
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS) - 98
3. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) - 98 (360 version at 98 too)
4. SoulCalibur (DC) - 98
5. Super Mario Galaxy (WII) - 97

The only one of those which isn't massively overrated is Super Mario Galaxy imo. Which is the most overrated of those 5 though? Probably GTA IV. Reviewers really rated that based on hype not delivery, and they did so pretty much all across the board. It's probably the best example to point to of a herd mentality amongst major reviewers and their inability to critically analyse games independently.

I'd say that THPS actually does really well in what it sets out to do, though I'd say that THPS3 is a better experience overall.

A lot of games from the 7th generation were overrated, particularly by reviewers. We went from 9's and especially 10's being rare occurrences to reviewers handing them out for fun to honestly, very mediocre videogames. It skewed the scales for later games in the generation and we had that culture where a 7 instead of a 5 was considered "average". I like the following example for the PS3 -

Grand Theft Auto 4 - 98
Grand Theft Auto 5 - 97

This is despite GTA5 being leagues above and beyond GTA4 in pretty much every possible department. The reviews for Grand Theft Auto 4 were based around nothing but hype for the game itself.

Take the PS4 as an example on Metacritic.

The platform has 111 games rated 85 or higher. The platform has 497(!) games rated 75 or higher. Want to know how many games that are rated below 50? 57.

Reviewers have been frightened (or bribed) away from the correct scoring methods and it shows greatly in many, many videogames.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
The first uncharted, I really enjoyed the other ones, but the first one I think is actually a pretty bad game. I'm surprised the series was able to continue after it.
Horizon zero dawn, biggest disappointment of last year for me. Its not bad but it just was so dull at times. It wow me at all, bar the graphics, but even they are ruined by excessive motion blur and lens flare.
BioShock infinite, it's a while since I played it, i just remember not enjoying it at all.

Uncharted is the opposite for me. I found the original brand new in a Blockbuster for some stupid cheap price and bought it and loved it. I enjoyed the sequels less and less because they imho moved away from gameplay and more towards cinematics and set pieces. Especially after the TR reboot, Uncharted just feels unnecessary now.

HZD has some big flaws but there’s lots of potential in the sequel if they fix them. Basically need to distance from the Ubi formula, make exploring viable, and make the combat challenging and deeper. On top of deeper RPG mechanics. I loved Infinite, but mostly because the environment and gameplay were so good. Story not so much imho.

Carl2291 said:
A lot of games from the 7th generation were overrated, particularly by reviewers. We went from 9's and especially 10's being rare occurrences to reviewers handing them out for fun to honestly, very mediocre videogames. It skewed the scales for later games in the generation and we had that culture where a 7 instead of a 5 was considered "average". I like the following example for the PS3 -

Grand Theft Auto 4 - 98
Grand Theft Auto 5 - 97

This is despite GTA5 being leagues above and beyond GTA4 in pretty much every possible department. The reviews for Grand Theft Auto 4 were based around nothing but hype for the game itself.

Take the PS4 as an example on Metacritic.

The platform has 111 games rated 85 or higher. The platform has 497(!) games rated 75 or higher. Want to know how many games that are rated below 50? 57.

Reviewers have been frightened (or bribed) away from the correct scoring methods and it shows greatly in many, many videogames.

Preach.

Lots of Zelda games, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Bloodborne.

(Edit: Bloodborne is a weird one as I didn't like it simply because of the lack of story, I can't play a game for hours and not know why I'm doing what I'm doing) 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

All main Mario games, (2D platformers and 3D ones), they are good but not THAT good, maybe is something about me because my favorite mario game is Sunshine and it's not very liked.

I know... my English sucks.

LA Noire, without a doubt. The driving was so bad, I would just skip it, and the game was just lame.