By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the most overrated game ever in your opinion?

Arminillo said:
Alara317 said:

Sunshine was great, and I liked it a lot more than 64. I can still play Sunshine, but I cannot stand playing 64 anymore due to the clunky controls and relative simplicity. This is another example of games on the N64 not aging well, but other games on Gamecube doing better. 

I think Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 are the only major N64 titles I dont like anymore due to either dated design or controls.  I can play them on basis of nostalgia, but i'm coasting on memories there. But, games like F-Zero X, Kirby 64, and the Zeldas are still fun on it.

The only games on the N64 I can still play without getting frustrated at how dated they are include: 

Mario Kart 64
... uuuh....

Honestly, that's it. I'm sure there are some 2D sidescrollers from that generation that aged well, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. The only games from that entire era I still play are Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics (And VII hasn't aged well either, but I can handle it because it's not an action game; the RPG elements and deep story helped it a lot, but the graphics are ugly as sin). 

I kinda want to say Smash Bros holds up, but the first one really doesn't. I can still play Melee and Brawl, but not the N64 version. 

Around the Network

Dark Souls by far for me...

Last of us. Gamepkay and story are bad. But people praise it.

Halo 1.

It's the game that kept me from the whole franchise. I don't understand the praise it got.

It's the only game which alien corridor design (pink/grey) caused me a headache.
Boring and inspired interior level design by copy/paste the rooms and corridors multiple times just to make the game longer was a middle finger in world design.

I just couldn't see right through these flaws. Especially the hype that was created around this game.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

It all depends about one thing in my opinion, whether you care more about gameplay, or about the story. And that's why there's so many polarizing opinions on game like Last of Us or Breath of the Wild.
TLOU is story driven with poor gameplay (and people who care about gameplay tend to think it's overrated), BOTW is gameplay driven with a poor story (and people who care about the story tend to think it's overrated).

Personally, i've always played games strictly for the story, i don't care about gameplay most of the time (gasp) and i probably never will.

Games that i consider overrated:
- Skyrim
- Breath of the Wild (bought the Switch for it, played the game a second time to hopefully like it, but i still hate it)
- Fallout series

(On the multiplayer side): Every battle royale game.

Around the Network

I thought the 30min I played of Ocarina of Time were pretty boring, but as I never played more than that (and I was tired as hell when playing it) it would be foolish to judge the whole game by that.

Oblivion however bored me out of my mind for the last 10-15h I played it. The first ~5h I enjoyed it alot, but soon after that and especially after finishing the bad story it just fell soo flat for me and that after being hyped for it for months - very disappointing.

Uncharted 2 in my opinion is a lot less enjoyable than U1. The graphics are phenomenal, but the bullet sponge enemies, the enemies spawning (jumping into the small area) from all sides and the shitty end boss frustrated me a lot - still a good game imo, but I prefered U1, even with it's easy QTE boss.

MW2's MP is trash. The average consensus seems to be that it's great but I don't think it's good, or decent or somewhat okay, it's just nothing but a flaming pile of shit in my opinion.