By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the most overrated game ever in your opinion?

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Azelover said:
Uncharted, and all the games that play like it

It's hard for me to figure out if The Last of Us (another Uncharted-like game) is fairly rated or overrated. I mean, it has an incredibly touching story (that should really be acknowledged) but, as a game, idk... It has a very average gameplay. I guess the gaming industry is still trying to find its identity, and that's why games that are made to look like movies are still so highly rated.

I agree.  In general I don't care for Naughty Dog's games.  They look great, and the stories are pretty good, but the gameplay is average at best.  Uncharted in particular just feels repetitive outside of a few setpieces.  I'd say the best way to experience them is in movie form on Youtube, but then the flaws in the stories stand out when compared to shorter and better movies, especially when comparing the Uncharted games to the Indiana Jones movies.

Around the Network
LuccaCardoso1 said:
Azelover said:
Uncharted, and all the games that play like it

It's hard for me to figure out if The Last of Us (another Uncharted-like game) is fairly rated or overrated. I mean, it has an incredibly touching story (that should really be acknowledged) but, as a game, idk... It has a very average gameplay. I guess the gaming industry is still trying to find its identity, and that's why games that are made to look like movies are still so highly rated.

Yep

The presentation and story, and visuals are all superb. But gameplay reigns supreme, it's the most important thing.

The controls of Uncharted, I consider to be a step back. Ever since Zelda OoT we've had a camera that worked really well. With the touch of a button you could place the camera where you wanted it, and even if you don't, the camera will still adjust as you play. In Uncharted you have to use the second analog, and a lot of games have adopted this. Everything else about the game is great, but gameplay is king.

Any game that makes you mad if someone mentions it.

That's the purpose of the thread, right?

Breath of the Wild.

GTA IV as well. I've never tried so hard to complete a game despite hating it so much. I ultimately failed.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network

GTA V. The missions were a bore. PS2-era GTAs were better.

The first uncharted, I really enjoyed the other ones, but the first one I think is actually a pretty bad game. I'm surprised the series was able to continue after it.
Horizon zero dawn, biggest disappointment of last year for me. Its not bad but it just was so dull at times. It wow me at all, bar the graphics, but even they are ruined by excessive motion blur and lens flare.
BioShock infinite, it's a while since I played it, i just remember not enjoying it at all.

At the risk of sounding like a snob I’ll say most games are overrated, because how crazy hype culture and fanboy outrage is in this industry. I pity the poor soul that dares say something bad about Zelda or The Last of Us. (Both games that I like btw)

On a personal level, I couldn’t get into the Witcher 3. The main draw seems to be the high quality of its sidequests, but I tend to focus on the main quest when playing games and I found it to be pretty average. Nothing spectacular. The combat felt like a poor man’s Bloodborne and I’ll never understand the need of weight limit in a game that wants you to go out and explore.

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

Skyrim takes it for me. Ugly ass game with boring gameplay.

Honorable mention is Dark Souls 3. Beating it once was enough for me. Playing it again just felt boring and the world is so unexciting.

For me, the halo series. Always get bored halfway through those games.