By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the most overrated game ever in your opinion?

RolStoppable said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Can you guys please continue this childish discussion elsewhere? You're not even talking about the thread's topic anymore.

I want to bring it to an end, but he keeps refusing to do so. You are right though, at this point it's clear that he won't change his mind.

Let's not pretend that this pile of shit didn't come out of your ass. I made a post that was 100% on topic, and you decided to bomb in and let everyone know why you think I wrote what I wrote. This derailment is 100% on you.

Sorry not sorry for refusing to kowtow to your ego. If want to know my top five games of 2017 that badly, you can guess them, and I'll tell you when you're right. Otherwise you're just going to deal with not knowing.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
pokoko said:
The 2D Mario games that I've played. I've come to the conclusion that, since the first one defined the genre for many people and was the game that got played the most during that time due to being shipped with all NES consoles, it gets some kind of blank check. In my opinion, however, they are as boring, uninspired, and nonsensical as anything out there. Despite having been a big Nintendo fan as a kid, I struggled with accepting that I hated the game-play, hated the Mario character, and hated the lack of any substance at all behind it. That kind of memory-based game-play always felt more like homework to me than fun. I could never play for more than a few minutes before wanting to switch to something else. I'd be absolutely fine with never playing another 2D platformer again in my life.

So, is it a 2D Mario thing, or a 2D platformer thing then?

Both?  Mario tends to be the one people rate the highest and I've owned two of them.  I have played 2D platformers I liked more, such as Sonic and Rayman, though neither held my attention for very long and I have no interest in them now.

Pyro as Bill said:
Splatoon 2 is over rated. Why have weapons that run out of ammo? Ruins the game imo.

I agree I think the game would be better if you didn't have to reload by dropping into squid form. I think it would be better if you automatically reloaded if you were standing in your ink.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Barkley said:
Dark Souls, I don't get it.

Oh god, I hate Dark Souls. The difficulty level is so high that it becomes a chore to play. I can see why people like it though.

Really? I never found Dark Souls to be all that difficult. Not as a sort of weird humblebrag, but I genuinely don't feel it's mechanics are all that hard to learn or understand. As long as you're not gungho and stupid, the game is actually very reasonable, it's just very DIFFERENT from what most people are used to. 

Honestly, I find shooters like Call of Duty and even Uncharted to be far more challenging. Then again, Dark Souls' style is more up my alley. 

pokoko said:
VGPolyglot said:

Both?  Mario tends to be the one people rate the highest and I've owned two of them.  I have played 2D platformers I liked more, such as Sonic and Rayman, though neither held my attention for very long and I have no interest in them now.

2? Which 2?

Around the Network

For me Uncharted. Basically a walking simulator with pretty graphics.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

COKTOE said:
Rafie said:

*Gasp* TAKE THAT BACK!!!

Heh, yeah, I know that it's pretty beloved, especially around here. That's what makes it a good pick! It left me cold though. I remember thinking it felt slow, and not being impressed on a tech level. It's been over 20 years, so it's difficult to elaborate. I preferred Mario Kart 64, and furthermore, preferred the SNES Mario Kart to MK 64.

Yeah I preferred MK over Diddy Kong Racking, but man that game was fun when it was out. I spent HOURS upon HOURS on that game. My cousins and I loved that game. Along with 007 of course.

@bolded *gasp again* MK 64 was so fun. SNES MK was a lot tougher tho. I'm surprised to hear an answer like that. Seeing as MK 64 is revered as one of the best MK to date.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

As for me, I always felt Halo and Ocarina of Time were quite grossly overrated.

Halo is a generic shooter with a somewhat above average story. I always hated regenerating shields, the game felt hollow and inorganic, the environments were generic sci fi, and it all felt plasticy. Far as I could tell it really was just a generic FPS game that happened to work well on a console.

Ocarina Of Time is not a good game, I don't think. I mean, it did a lot for the industry by innovating a bunch of things, but none of it holds up. The graphics are terrible, the gameplay is clunky, the structure is ripped beat for beat from its predecessor, has terrible conveyance issues, and is just frustrating.

Then again, I think like 95% of games from that console generation (PS1/N64) suffer those same issues.

But yeah, I can go back and play Link to the Past and it feels good. It looks good. It has aged wonderfully. Hell, even the first Zelda has aged well, as I didn't even play it as a kid and still found enjoyment in it as an adult when I beat it for the first time. I can't do the same with OOT. When I first played it on N64 in I think it was 98 or 99 (not long after it came out in Canada), even then I didn't like it. I felt it was just an uglier, clunkier attempt at recreating Link to the Past. I made it about halfway through before giving up on it. Tried again on gamecube (Came in the Zelda collectors disc with 1, 2, OOT, and MM), and still didn't like it, though it was marginally better because the Gamecube Controller is in every way superior to the N64 controller. Tried again every few years and just didn't like it.

Only ever beat it for the first time on 3DS a few years back, and while my opinion did slightly improve of it, I still think it's a mediocre game that gets worlds of praise because it was huge at the time.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it's like a 6/10 or a 7/10 getting 12/10 praise.

pokoko said:
VGPolyglot said:

What do you mean by memory based gameplay?

Signature goes here!

CladInShadows said:
Nymeria said:
I never got Myst growing up, but it sold so many copies (6 million making it the best selling PC game of all time back then) in the 1990s. People acted like it was the future of gaming when I saw a pretty average puzzle adventure game held up by new technology of CD visuals.

A more recent title that I thought was far better, but didn't come close to Myst sales was The Witness. Some games feel very time and place and don't age well, and think Myst was one of those technological curiosities that is lost when going back with twenty years of advancement.

Myst had two things going for it.  The great graphics (at the time) and the puzzle difficulty.  The puzzle difficulty has definitely held up, even if the graphics haven't.  Especially in the second game, Riven.  If you can beat Riven without a walkthrough, it's a massive accomplishment, and very satisfying.

I thought The Witness gave me just enough information to solve the various puzzles to give me that "ah-ha!" moment.  Myst never gave me that feeling in the same way.  Many games people are mentioning here I adore so obviously tastes differ.  I think Myst sold majority of its copies as a tech marvel and there is that niche core audience that could appreciate its greater complexity.  It never had that Super Mario or Doom or Street Fighter effect of changing the landscape with all sorts of copy cats that persist to this day. For a game that sold so much I don't think it has the legacy other massive sellers of the time have had.  Would you put it on your top 100 all time game list? I'm not sure many people would.