By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Over 1 Million People Have Played Sea of Thieves in the Past 48 Hours.

Flouff said:
I hope SoT is not the first example of the new strategy of Microsoft, which will lead to the same results for every new game. Because with games avalaible day one with a 10$/euros subscription on game with pass,there will only be games as a service in the future, just like SoT. So only one kind of games with different settings, digital multiplayer only, and finaly microtransactions, only way to make money out of the games.

It's the model they wanted to begin with.  Ex Lionhead employees said there was a mandate from Microsoft for every studio to produce a "games as a service" title.  It was going to get a huge push with the XO, though different events seemed to have delayed it until now.  I think we can count on more shallow releases with content added over time.  The goal is to keep people subscribed and tethered to your ecosystem while presenting a large array of additional sources of revenue, like microtransactions, that fall under the revered "impulse buy" category.

Around the Network

Well, i hope that will not drive the entire industry in this direction because that kinda means the end of story driven games

kowenicki said:
Barkley said:

How is it a "no brainer" there's many factors involved.

2m subscribing for one month is $20m. 1m purchasing the title at launch would be $60m. And let's not forget game pass gives you access to 150+ games so it can be said that not all that $20m is going to sea of thieves assuming they played any other title on the system that month.

There's a vast amount of information we don't have to make a "no brainer" assumption. How much of the gamepass revenue goes to third parties who put their games on the service for instance.

The fact is even if MS received 100% of the revenue, you can subscribe to game pass for $120 a year, so if MS release more than $120 of content that you would have bought at launch, 2 games basically, they're losing out on money, and that's assuming you have no breaks between subscription months also.

There is a bigger picture at play.  Its the future of gaming and its a certainty.  Games as a service akin to Netflix and Spotify is guaranteed.

I agree, but that doesn't mean the current model or price-point is beneficial at this current time. I imagine there are plenty of people on game pass that would purchase more than $120 worth of first-party content annually.

Perhaps more of a long-term play to get people used to this kind of pricing model for gaming.

Why were they having server issues if it's only been 1 million unique users in 2 days. Didn't they think more people would want to try it out than in the beta. I thought this Azure cloud could scale up seamlessly on demand. Does the power of the cloud mean absolutely nothing...

Anyway first week hype will drive the game, second week word of mouth, third week actual continued interest. I would have been tempted if it had 4 player split screen to take on the seas together with my kids, yet buying multiple xbox's is definitely off the table.

JRPGfan said:
Aeolus451 said:

It takes one person six months of being subbed to that service to equal one sale during the months after the game's release.

^ more than that Aeolus.
Because alot of these gamepass users, are people that where planning on useing the free trail for this game.

When word gets out that state of decay 2 has a couple million users you are sure to come in to tell everyone that it’s all free trials. Keep the good work up.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
JRPGfan said:

I was trying to make a point.... I dont actually believe its 90%.
But yeah I think it could be high, more than half are probably playing Sea of Theives via Gamepass imo.

How many of that are actually just people finally given a reason to use that 14day free trail of gamepass? probably alot too.

I'm just saying most people would have used it by now. And for those that used it it's good for MS. They got news subs and when SoD2 comes out they will need to pay for gamepass.

It's not that hard to switch to a free additional XBL account, if you already used the trial on your main account...

hudsoniscool said:
JRPGfan said:

^ more than that Aeolus.
Because alot of these gamepass users, are people that where planning on useing the free trail for this game.

When word gets out that state of decay 2 has a couple million users you are sure to come in to tell everyone that it’s all free trials.
Keep the good work up.

I think alot of SoT will be free gamepass trials... so that means when State of Decay 2 hits a couple million unique users, that ll be more impressive.

So no I wont claim that by the time state of decay 2 is out.

My expectations for State of decay 2 are higher than Sea of theives too.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 March 2018

That's great to hear! Played the game a bit at E3 and had a good time. Happy for Rare, they're one of the main reasons I jumped on the Xbox bandwagon back in '05 when looking for another console to supplement my Nintendo system (even if they're certainly not the reason I stuck around). Will have to pick it up soon, I think this will be my first Rare game since Kameo (not counting Rare Replay)

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Great news that.

Watching Soda and Forsen play it last night and the shit they were up to looked hilarious, so I hope it's a success for Rare and Microsoft. More developers taking risks on these kind of games would be a huge benefit to the industry, particularly if they're successful.

Conina said:
jason1637 said:

I'm just saying most people would have used it by now. And for those that used it it's good for MS. They got news subs and when SoD2 comes out they will need to pay for gamepass.

It's not that hard to switch to a free additional XBL account, if you already used the trial on your main account...

The game requires a gold sub and to buy the trail it requires a paypal/CC.