By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Over 1 Million People Have Played Sea of Thieves in the Past 48 Hours.

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

90% is actually generous. I would have said 130% myself, but I got beaten to the punch.

I was trying to make a point.... I dont actually believe its 90%.
But yeah I think it could be high, more than half are probably playing Sea of Theives via Gamepass imo.

How many of that are actually just people finally given a reason to use that 14day free trail of gamepass? probably alot too.

If I had to guess I’d say it’s around:

50% sales 

25% game pass subs paid

25% gamepass free trial

but even if it’s more like 

35% sales= 350k copies sold

40% free trial GP

25% paid game pass

thats Still 350k sales for a new ip. And while some are sure to use the game pass free trial it can only be used once. And many are sure to try it for sea of thieves and start subbing because it’s such a awesome service. That’s what I did. Signed up for the free trial with no intention of actually paying anything. But here I am 3 months later an I don’t plan to unsubscribe.

also every single month that goes by makes the ‘but but everyone is probably using the free trial’ argument more pointless. This just released, Then it’s going to be SOD2, then crackdown, than forza horizon 4, then possibly halo, then ori2 with indies, older AAA games like rise of the tomb raider, and older exclusives like quantum break, cuphead, and ori 1 sprinkled in between those big games. Maybe ms will go out and pay for games to come to game pass on day 1. I’m sure the argument will change from “free trial” to “only subbing 1 month”.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Free 14 day Gamepass Trail = Free Sea of Theives.

How many of those 1m users, where playing the game for free on gamepass?

Barkley said:
I don't know what to make of this, considering it's on gamepass and on both PC and Xbox.

also Free 14day trail for Gamepass.
Like 90% of that 1m user base, could be people that just signed up to try Gamepass and are playing the game for free.

This thread would be very differnt if it instead stated "100k copies of sea of theives sold"

That's a pretty impressive number, I wonder if it can maintain that though.

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

90% is actually generous. I would have said 130% myself, but I got beaten to the punch.

I was trying to make a point.... I dont actually believe its 90%.
But yeah I think it could be high, more than half are probably playing Sea of Theives via Gamepass imo.

How many of that are actually just people finally given a reason to use that 14day free trail of gamepass? probably alot too.

Dude, just stop with the trolling. So you are saying people didnt care to use those free 14 days jfor the last 9 months, and suddenly they are now?

You're trying too hard.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I'm super close to pulling the trigger and getting this

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
twintail said:
How many will still be playing next week?

We don't know. Hopefully we will get numbers from Rare when next week is over.

I really hope this game is a big success, Microsoft is long overdue for a big 1st party hit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Who cares how many sales, or gamepass users it is, all that matters is that people are playing this beautiful game. At least PC players can be a mighty pirate in a legal way now.

I'm not very impressed with a million players, to be honest, considering how much Microsoft has pushed this game. This has been one of their conference centerpieces for the last couple of years.

That being said, I do understand that this is part of their "games as a service" initiative, where the point is keeping people engaged for a long period. Still, I'm not convinced that this game will accomplish that, considering that many reviews have mentioned a lack of depth.

It's currently sitting at 63/100 on OpenCritic. Will be interesting to see how well it's doing a few weeks from from now.