By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD, PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 (December added)

Who wins?

PS4 66 40.24%

NSW 84 51.22%

Tie 14 8.54%

Total:164
Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

Also interesting that PS4 comes with a Blu-Ray player, 500gb hard drive and is 5x more powerful.

But lets only look at PS4 disadvantages.

You think that, in 2015, people are still buying consoles to watch movies? But that’s besides the point. Do you think the PS4 would have sold the same if it released at $299?

Price is totally irrelevant. Sony released it at $400. That was its release price. Sony chose to release it at that price because a) they would have bled money otherwise and/or b) it was because of the price factored in to manufacture it. If it wasn't $400 then it wouldn't be the PS4. At least how we know it. If it was $300 then it would undoubtedly have less power and/or features. Price is completely and utterly  irrelevant!

Last edited by peachbuggy - on 21 March 2018

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
Lawlight said:

You think that, in 2015, people are still buying consoles to watch movies? But that’s besides the point. Do you think the PS4 would have sold the same if it released at $299?

Price is totally irrelevant. Sony released it at $400. That was its release price. Sony chose to release it at that price because a) they would have bled money otherwise and/or b) it was because of the price factored in to manufacture it. If it wasn't $400 then it wouldn't be the PS4. At least how we know it. If it was $300 then it would undoubtedly have less power features. Price is completely and utterly  irrelevant!

Price isnt totally irrelevant but i agree with what you are saying.

If the software, specs & features of PS4 & Switch were very similar than price becomes a huge factor but when these things are extremely different than a price vs price argument doesnt hold up nearly as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I voted PS4. I still think Switch will become the best selling console of all time, but I think 2018 will be an anomaly year for Switch. It will lose a bit of momentum this year, but in 2019 it will shoot off like a rocket.

This is an interesting thread. I honestly don't know what system will sell better, but if the Switch is going to be competitive world wide then it's going to have to sell better in the U.S.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

quickrick said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I don't know. When the year started, I thought the PS4 had a good chance of beating Switch. When you factor in that January was 5 weeks for Switch and 4 for PS4 too, you realize that they're probably about equal in terms of sales for the first two months combined. 

However, what's really damning to me is that the second half of the year is going to have Fire Emblem, Super Smash Brothers, and Animal Crossing or Pokemon.

Fire Emblem's popularity is underestimated and Fates is pretty undertracked here. It sold 1.84 million copies (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427_4e.pdf) just one month after it's release in the U.S., which was 7 months after it's release in Japan, but also 2 months before it's release in the EU and AU. I don't expect it to give a huge hardware boost, but it should give a pretty decent one in the U.S. and a big one in Japan. It will do even more if it ends up being an ambitious title. 

The other two games speak for themselves. 

using resetera 125% for 5 week period, ps4 would be up by 30k.

It's actually 27.5k.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Very nice and well put together thread! As for who wins I am not sure but I think it will be very close!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

ryuzaki57 said:
Isn't the second year for PS4 2014?

It's pretty difficult to choose the right comparison year. PS4 had 2 months in it#s launch year, while Switch had 10 months. Choosing 2015 is an advantage for PS4, it sold nearly 1 million less in 2014.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

zorg1000 said:
vivster said:
I see we're being quite generous with "major releases".

I defined it as a game that charted in NPD in its debut month, what would you prefer?

Clever and simple solution. Nicely done.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

zorg1000 said: 
February 340k, Evolve, The Order, Xenoverse 280k, Bayonetta 2 +20k Switch

Let's all take a break from fighting and focus on this gem.

NPD 2015 vs 2018 is pretty straight forward...

Yet somehow people are arguing numbers should be something else :p

It all depends on the fall schedule for Nintendo.. Smash is an obvious hit and is going to sell jam. Will it be enough? Will there be holiday title if Smash is a September release in time for Switch online?Also could Labo be a surprise hit?