By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD, PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 (December added)

Who wins?

PS4 66 40.24%

NSW 84 51.22%

Tie 14 8.54%

Total:164
Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

Also interesting that PS4 comes with a Blu-Ray player, 500gb hard drive and is 5x more powerful.

But lets only look at PS4 disadvantages.

You think that, in 2015, people are still buying consoles to watch movies? But that’s besides the point. Do you think the PS4 would have sold the same if it released at $299?

I can also give question to you, do you think that PS4 would sell same with lower specs than XB1? You can't really talk only about PS4 disadvantages and ignoring advantages, I mean you can, but its pointless.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
quickrick said:

i was very impressed with switch JAN, but February, selling 60k less, to me looks like the downtrend will start when comparing it to ps4 sales. you also have to remember for a nintendo console, having zelda, 3d mario, and mario kart in the same year and at this quality  is unprecedented.

Omg i still cant believe people are using that excuse as if those games are the biggest system sellers. There not even top 3 (mario 3d and zelda) and mk is still a port. 

If mario kart 9 is more an all-star game with same quality if not better than 8 that game will be a bigger system seller alone than the mario+zelda (3d). 

Im sorry but SSB is a bigger hardware pusher than 3d mario and zelda... And there is still Animal Crossing and of course.... pokemon. Not to mention a couple of good others too

mario kart 8 is not selling like a port, most people didn't buy wiiu so its selling like a new entry, even better. regardless my point is nintendo released 3 major systems sellers in one year, which unprecedented for nintendo. 3d mario is looking like it might hit 20 million, mario kart 18 million, and zelda 10 +million. i'm calling it now 3d mario is gonna out sell ssbb BY OVER 5 MILLION EASILY. so when people say wait for this, it doesn't make sense to me, when nintendo already released 3 monster franchises in less then a 8 months.  

quickrick said:
tbone51 said:

Omg i still cant believe people are using that excuse as if those games are the biggest system sellers. There not even top 3 (mario 3d and zelda) and mk is still a port. 

If mario kart 9 is more an all-star game with same quality if not better than 8 that game will be a bigger system seller alone than the mario+zelda (3d). 

Im sorry but SSB is a bigger hardware pusher than 3d mario and zelda... And there is still Animal Crossing and of course.... pokemon. Not to mention a couple of good others too

mario kart 8 is not selling like a port, most people didn't buy wiiu so its selling like a new entry, even better. regardless my point is nintendo released 3 major systems sellers in one year, which unprecedented for nintendo. 3d mario is looking like it might hit 20 million, mario kart 18 million, and zelda 10 +million. i'm calling it now 3d mario is gonna out sell ssbb BY OVER 5 MILLION EASILY. so when people say wait for this, it doesn't make sense to me, when nintendo already released 3 monster franchises in less then a 8 months.  

First of all a game selling more doesnt automatically mean its a bigger system seller. And besides ill prove my point in a npd thread when SSB and you can compare it to SMO month. Youll notice a huge change.

I mean go back into npd of wii days and you notice how much of a big deal ssb is in comparison

quickrick said:
tbone51 said:

Dont forget Splatoon 2, In order words, big quality titles are selling great on Switch even if they are ports, so we can expact that Smash Bros will also sell great on Switch, Smash Bros on Switch will can easily become best selling Smash game ever, and same could be said for Pokemon and AC, so curently its hard to say who will sell more at end, Mario Odyssey or Smash Bros but Smash Bros will be huge system seller in any case.

tbone51 said:
quickrick said:

First of all a game selling more doesnt automatically mean its a bigger system seller. And besides ill prove my point in a npd thread when SSB and you can compare it to SMO month. Youll notice a huge change.

I mean go back into npd of wii days and you notice how much of a big deal ssb is in comparison

wii always had monster sales every month when it had stock. besides mario odyssey is what fans have been asking for since mario 64, its the fastest selling mario game ever, sold a million like in one day in the US alone.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
tbone51 said:

wii always had monster sales every month when it had stock. besides mario odyssey is what fans have been asking for since mario 64, its the fastest selling mario game ever, sold a million like in one day in the US alone.

That has literally nothing to do with what we were talking about. SMO being the best selling 3d mario game cool, and ssb for switch will be the best selling ssb so yeap.

Also i kno wii sales were beasting every month but its biggest jumps were Definetly Smash release month and mkwii.

estebxx said:

I think the Switch will perform better in the first years but life time sales PS4 will end up on top, just a hunch though (since its still too early to predict something like that).

I'm going to agree. Sony consoles are always known for their legs. I see Switch doing good/great for about 3 years or so, at which point it will have been $199 for at least a year, and then we'll start to see yearly drops. I think in the end, it will end up around the 3DS, probably a little higher. Considering how well the PS4 is doing, and it's still $299, I think it's going to pass 115M, and possibly hit 125M, maybe more.  I mean if they can get it to $149-$169, it'll sell well after the PS5 launches. A $249-$299 Pro will definitely help those legs, too. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 21 March 2018

thismeintiel said:
estebxx said:

I think the Switch will perform better in the first years but life time sales PS4 will end up on top, just a hunch though (since its still too early to predict something like that).

I'm going to agree. Sony consoles are always known for their legs. I see Switch doing good/great for about 3 years or so, at which point it will have been $199 for at least a year, and then we'll start to see yearly drops. I think in the end, it will end up around the 3DS, probably a little higher. Considering how well the PS4 is doing, and it's still $299, I think it's going to pass 115M, and possibly hit 125M, maybe more.  I mean if they can get it to $149-$169, it'll sell well after the PS5 launches. A $249-$299 Pro will definitely help those legs, too. 

Thats because Nintendo usually support their consoles for around 4 years while Sony keep supporting console until new is out on market (I mean Last of US was released less than 6 months before PS4 was launched). Saying that, Nintendo said they want that Switch has longer life span than typical 5-6 years, so we talking about 7-8 years at least, and with point that Switch is curently selling better than 3DS in same time period whitout need for big price cut, Switch will probably sell more than 3DS easily.

Switch's strongest region is NA, while it isn't PS4's strongest region. Nintendo consoles also tend to sell fast, but for a shorter time.

Switch should win this comparison.

USA accounted for 32.7% of sales for the PS4 in 2015. Currently LTD USA accounts for 36.4% of sales for the Switch. So assuming the Switch ratio stays roughly the same throughout this year, Switch will need to sell 6.38m in the NPD's if it's to match PS4's 2015 global sales.

Last edited by Barkley - on 21 March 2018

Gonna be a close race. Switch will probably lose march and win april and may. It's the holiday when things will be interesting.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138