By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD, PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 (December added)

Who wins?

PS4 66 40.24%

NSW 84 51.22%

Tie 14 8.54%

Total:164
quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Thanks, it took awhile because i did it on my phone and a few times the page refreshed when i would switch from one tab to the next so i had to start over.........pissed me off a bit lol

looking at that list, just tells why switch won't be able to compete for long, just look at how many system sellers the ps4 gets, it's almost every month, it''s staggering.

It could easily be argued the opposite.

Jan+Feb PS4 had much bigger titles with Dying Light, Evolve, The Order & Xenoverse vs Switch just having Bayonetta 2 yet they are doing pretty much the same.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

looking at that list, just tells why switch won't be able to compete for long, just look at how many system sellers the ps4 gets, it's almost every month, it''s staggering.

Jan+Feb PS4 had much bigger titles with Dying Light, Evolve, The Order & Xenoverse vs Switch just having Bayonetta 2 yet they are doing pretty much the same.

i was very impressed with switch JAN, but February, selling 60k less, to me looks like the downtrend will start when comparing it to ps4 sales. you also have to remember for a nintendo console, having zelda, 3d mario, and mario kart in the same year and at this quality  is unprecedented.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

Switch has yet to have a monstrous non holiday month. It definitely has done very well most months, but it needs a pop-off month imo, like many consoles before it. April 2017 would count if it weren't for post launch sales.

Examples: 400k in Feb, Destiny PS4, Gold PS4, Wii/DS/PS2 monster months, and others etc.

I see we're being quite generous with "major releases".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

i was very impressed with switch JAN, but February, selling 60k less, to me looks like the downtrend will start when comparing it to ps4 sales. you also have to remember for a nintendo console, having zelda, 3d mario, and mario kart in the same year and at this quality  is unprecedented.

I dont see how the data we have shows a trend in either direction.

We have 2 months of data, 1 has Switch doing quite a bit better than PS4 while the other has PS4 doing quite a bit better than Switch.

There really isnt any conclusion we can make based on that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
vivster said:

I defined it as a game that charted in NPD in its debut month, what would you prefer?

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

Switch has yet to have a monstrous non holiday month. It definitely has done very well most months, but it needs a pop-off month imo, like many consoles before it. April 2017 would count if it weren't for post launch sales.

Examples: 400k in Feb, Destiny PS4, Gold PS4, Wii/DS/PS2 monster months, and others etc.

Who knows, perhaps Switch can win by being more consistent.

January, April, May, July, August PS4 sold 155-220k and averaged 190k.

February, March, June, September, October PS4 sold 275-370k and averaged 335k.

This led to an average of 260k in the non-holiday months of 2015.

So far Switch has done 270k & 280k this year. Its possible that is continues to sell in the 250-300k range and has an average of 275k in the first 10 months of 2018.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

I dont see how the data we have shows a trend in either direction.

We have 2 months of data, 1 has Switch doing quite a bit better than PS4 while the other has PS4 doing quite a bit better than Switch.

There really isnt any conclusion we can make based on that.

Jan saw switch beat it by around 30k, while feb ps4 won by double that amount,  consoles have sold around 10% less  in march since 2015.

zorg1000 said:
vivster said:

I defined it as a game that charted in NPD in its debut month, what would you prefer?

I apparently over read that part. It's a fine objective metric then. Is charting top 10 or top 20?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

Also interesting that PS4 comes with a Blu-Ray player, 500gb hard drive and is 5x more powerful.

But lets only look at PS4 disadvantages.

You think that, in 2015, people are still buying consoles to watch movies? But that’s besides the point. Do you think the PS4 would have sold the same if it released at $299?

It wouldnt had been a ps4 then it would have been a ps3 pro