By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD, PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 (December added)

Who wins?

PS4 66 40.24%

NSW 84 51.22%

Tie 14 8.54%

Total:164
RolStoppable said:
@zorg1000

Add a list of notable releases to the OP to provide more context for the numbers. I'll get you kickstarted.

January 2015 - Dying Light
January 2018 - None

February 2015 - Evolve, Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, The Order: 1886
February 2018 - None

Yeah, those games aren’t big enough to overcome the $400 price tag I guess.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Also interesting that the PS4 was still $400.

Also interesting that PS4 comes with a Blu-Ray player, 500gb hard drive and is 5x more powerful.

But lets only look at PS4 disadvantages.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Lawlight said:
RolStoppable said:
@zorg1000

Add a list of notable releases to the OP to provide more context for the numbers. I'll get you kickstarted.

January 2015 - Dying Light
January 2018 - None

February 2015 - Evolve, Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, The Order: 1886
February 2018 - None

Yeah, those games aren’t big enough to overcome the $400 price tag I guess.

those system sellers are laughable, ps4 has bigger system sellers almost monthly.  

zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:
Also interesting that the PS4 was still $400.

Also interesting that PS4 comes with a Blu-Ray player, 500gb hard drive and is 5x more powerful.

You think that, in 2015, people are still buying consoles to watch movies? But that’s besides the point. Do you think the PS4 would have sold the same if it released at $299?

Well, this thread got off to a childish and ridiculous start.

Zorg, please don't forget about or abandon this thread as I have subscribed to it.

Around the Network

I think the Switch will perform better in the first years but life time sales PS4 will end up on top, just a hunch though (since its still too early to predict something like that).

zorg1000 said:
pokoko said:

Actually, I'm kind of struggling to see why his point should be completely dismissed.  Is it not relevant in the short-term?  That's an honest question, by the way, as I do not keep up with the NPD or numbers at all.  If this "extra week" created a blip in the date flow then I see no harm in addressing it.

Not that you need to do anything, as he can note it well enough in his first post.  I just don't really get the "no we won't talk about that" vibe.

Because its irrelevent and this is the first time that anybody has ever made a big deal about a 5 week January.

They have existed before and people have compared years with a 5 week January to years with a 4 week January and its never been an issue.

All of a sudden its a huge issue because it puts their console at a "disadvantage"

If you say so.  From what I can see, both sides are equally guilty of turning it into a "huge issue".  Meanwhile, other people appear to be doing the exact same thing but without challenge.

looking at the chart, i think it will be very close. ps4 had a few bad months (-200k) but it had an awesome holiday.

Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

You think that, in 2015, people are still buying consoles to watch movies? But that’s besides the point. Do you think the PS4 would have sold the same if it released at $299?

Do people buy PS4 specifically to watch movies? NO

Does the ability to watch movies add value to PS4? YES

If PS4 launched at $299 it very well could have sold higher but you also have to take into consideration the other factors that could impact it.

1. Assuming it has the same specs, PS4 would have been sold at a huge loss which could have negatively impacted the amount Sony could spend on game development, advertising, securing exclusive marketing/bundles/content etc which could in turn impact sales.

2. Assuming Sony didnt sell it at a huge loss at $299 than PS4 would have been a completely different device with lower specs that runs multiplat titles worse than XBO which impacts sales among the people who care about power/performance in the US.

We have no clue what PS4 sales would be like in this hypothetical situation, we can only discuss sales that we know.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I really dont think the PS4 will take this. Switch has nothing early 2018 but its still ahead. It will have a killer fall/holiday period which can outplay a better first half of a year easily.

Don't forget Switch will have its first black friday deals this year, more stock, Smash and online and more ofc.