By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD, PS4 2015 vs NSW 2018 (December added)

Who wins?

PS4 66 40.24%

NSW 84 51.22%

Tie 14 8.54%

Total:164
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lawlight said:
Also interesting that the PS4 was still $400.

No, that's not "interesting". Stop playing a revenue game. If you and Quickrick do not like the threads comparison, do not participate in it. 

Why are you so defensive over the fact that the Switch has a lot of advantages in this comparison?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

its just got outsold by 60k in February, what makes you think it win? not to mention ps4 had a monster holiday that year.

A comprehensive analysis of the numbers. As in, which games go with the numbers listed in the OP.

Switch has had no new releases that drove hardware sales in 2018 while the PS4 had multiple new releases that drove hardware sales in 2015. Since Switch is beating the PS4 despite the lack of new games, it's looking good for Nintendo's console.

Well the thing is only nintendo games will really sell nintendo consoles thats always gonna be a problem. second point is ps4 in 4 week period  beats switch by over 60k, the momentum is in ps4 court right now.

Lawlight said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

No, that's not "interesting". Stop playing a revenue game. If you and Quickrick do not like the threads comparison, do not participate in it. 

Why are you so defensive over the fact that the Switch has a lot of advantages in this comparison?

I am not. One genuine advantage was listed and even that was just used to drive discussion off course. 

It doesn't matter anyways because this is a year to year comparison, and it looks just as likely that PS4 will beat Switch than vice versa. Considering you and Quickrick are known for downplaying the Switch sales so that they will look insignificant in comparison to the PS4, it is hilarious that both of you started this thread listing all the unfair reasons Switch could win. I guess if you are Nintendo there is no winning...

But that's what's more annoying. The need to drive discussion off course. If you want to talk about one extra week, fair enough. But to keep complaining is nonsense. We only have two months of data, anyways. So let's just see how this plays out. 

@zorg1000

Add a list of notable releases to the OP to provide more context for the numbers. I'll get you kickstarted.

January 2015 - Dying Light
January 2018 - None

February 2015 - Evolve, Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, The Order: 1886
February 2018 - None

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

pokoko said:
zorg1000 said:

Can you actually talk about the topic instead of derailing the thread like you always do?

The thread is about overall sales for the year so one week means next to nothing in the long run so just drop it.

Actually, I'm kind of struggling to see why his point should be completely dismissed.  Is it not relevant in the short-term?  That's an honest question, by the way, as I do not keep up with the NPD or numbers at all.  If this "extra week" created a blip in the date flow then I see no harm in addressing it.

Not that you need to do anything, as he can note it well enough in his first post.  I just don't really get the "no we won't talk about that" vibe.

Because its irrelevent and this is the first time that anybody has ever made a big deal about a 5 week January.

They have existed before and people have compared years with a 5 week January to years with a 4 week January and its never been an issue.

All of a sudden its a huge issue because it puts their console at a "disadvantage"

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
pokoko said:

Actually, I'm kind of struggling to see why his point should be completely dismissed.  Is it not relevant in the short-term?  That's an honest question, by the way, as I do not keep up with the NPD or numbers at all.  If this "extra week" created a blip in the date flow then I see no harm in addressing it.

Not that you need to do anything, as he can note it well enough in his first post.  I just don't really get the "no we won't talk about that" vibe.

Because its irrelevent and this is the first time that anybody has ever made a big deal about a 5 week January.

They have existed before and people have compared years with a 5 week January to years with a 4 week January and its never been an issue.

All of a sudden its a huge issue because it puts their console at a "disadvantage"

You are free to bring that up in the other comparison threads. But you cannot reply to a question about why it is irrelevant by saying “because it is irrelevant”.

zorg1000 said:
pokoko said:

what? to say it's  irrelevant is highly disingenuous especially in a comparison thread  about sales between ps4/switch, which only has a comparison for the first 2 months of the year  so far. heck at resetera once they found out it was a 5 week period they raised all predictions by 125%. 

RolStoppable said:
@zorg1000

Add a list of notable releases to the OP to provide more context for the numbers. I'll get you kickstarted.

January 2018 - None

February 2018 - None

Yeah, those games aren’t big enough to overcome the $400 price tag I guess.

Lawlight said:
Also interesting that the PS4 was still $400.

Also interesting that PS4 comes with a Blu-Ray player, 500gb hard drive and is 5x more powerful.

But lets only look at PS4 disadvantages.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Lawlight said:
RolStoppable said:
@zorg1000

January 2018 - None

February 2018 - None

Yeah, those games aren’t big enough to overcome the $400 price tag I guess.

those system sellers are laughable, ps4 has bigger system sellers almost monthly.