By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Studio that ported Skyrim to the Switch wants to do Monster Hunter World next

Tagged games:

Unlikely, but I definitely would be interested if this game got ported

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

DO EEEET!!!

I LOVE ICELAND!

Skyrim was a 30fps X360 game -> 30fps on Switch -> locked 60fps on PS4 (PSVR)

Doom runs at 1080p60fps on PS4 -> sub-720p 30fps on Switch.

Those 2 games (Skyrim and Doom) have being optimized by competent developers to even run at 30fps on Switch.

Now MHW is a open world CPU heavy 30fps game on PS4. I am not saying Monster Hunter World is impossible on Switch, but that would require serious cutbacks or / and be totally re-made for the Switch hardware and software from the start, particularity all the CPU stuff.

MHW is a PC game and uses plenty of X86 compatible and mature APIs. Some of those APIs may not even exist on ARM or they'll have to use different APIs, maybe less mature, they'll have to adapt or create their own tools which means more work.

Ljink96 said:
Again, they could port it but it'd look blurry as hell, and run like garbage. Unless serious modifications are made to factors that influence performance like poly counts, texture resolutions, and frame rates. And man, can anybody imagine what it'd look like undocked? Just a smudge of Vaseline. If Xenoblade 2 looks the way it does undocked, I don't expect a game like this to look any better.

I had no problems with Xenoblade 2 undocked.  I do however feel like the portable portion of the package was not as well optimized as it could have been though.  We still have BotW running undocked at 720p with a solid frame rate, and that game is also massive and shares the same art style.

I love Xenoblade 2, but using it as a tech benchmark makes no sense as I feel it could have hit those upper marks easily with a bit more time in development.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It's just going to be a blurry sub 20fps mess. The switch had serious problems with playing doom, I mean its LOWEST was 612p 20fps and that's just for a linear shooter.

MHW is an open world game with ridiculous AI monsters, it has a huge open world too. I doubt if the game would even be playable, it will no doubt look severely downgraded compared to the console counterparts soooo I'd say good luck but I'd advise them to not even bother trying.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Ljink96 said:
Again, they could port it but it'd look blurry as hell, and run like garbage. Unless serious modifications are made to factors that influence performance like poly counts, texture resolutions, and frame rates. And man, can anybody imagine what it'd look like undocked? Just a smudge of Vaseline. If Xenoblade 2 looks the way it does undocked, I don't expect a game like this to look any better.

I had no problems with Xenoblade 2 undocked.  I do however feel like the portable portion of the package was not as well optimized as it could have been though.  We still have BotW running undocked at 720p with a solid frame rate, and that game is also massive and shares the same art style.

I love Xenoblade 2, but using it as a tech benchmark makes no sense as I feel it could have hit those upper marks easily with a bit more time in development.

Like I said, it was jarring for me to go from the sharp image of the docked mode to the blurry JPEG quality of the undocked. I tried to like it, I just couldn't. And the thing is, it's a low res, upscaled to 720p, which kinda makes it look even worse. 

And yes, I agree that future Monolith games will look much better than XC2, which is a essentially a Wii U level game in terms of technology. Same even goes for Zelda, Switch those games don't utilize the full power of Switch, so I can't wait to see what the Zelda team and Monolith do next with most likely UE4. 

Not the same level of challenge since Skyrim was made to PS360 as well, so even the remaster version being ported isn't something as hard as a game that runs 1080p30fps with drops on PS4 and designed based on PS4X1 structure...

And since it would probably be a very watered down it probably sell a lot less.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shiken said:
Ljink96 said:

BotW runs on WiiU so that show wiggle room for undocked Switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I find it mind blowing that no one has brought up that Boyes used to work for Sony. Like the former VP of Publisher and Developer Relations at Sony now wants to port games to Switch.

Not that there's a problem with that or with not bringing it up, as it's irrelevant, but it just seems like the type of thing that would be brought up here.

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

BotW runs on WiiU so that show wiggle room for undocked Switch.

True, but some could argue that Xenoblade 2 could run on the WiiU as well.  With that in mind, I still wouldn't use Xeno 2 as a tech benchmark for what the Switch could do.

Now on topic, I do believe MHW could run on Switch.  However it would have such strong drawbacks that people would be too busy comparing it to the PS4 version instead of enjoying it for what it is, a portable alternative of the same game.  I can see it drawing the wrong type of publicity to be honest.

Another route they could take is to make an exclusive MH for Switch that focuses on the tech it has to offer.  The problem here is that haters would cry out that it is not the same game and in turn a lesser version (especially if they try to follow the same theme as MHW).  Die hard MH fans with a Switch would be happy though, so there is that.  Now if they follow their own gameplay formula and add unique features that cater towards the Switch, then that could be the best option.  It would be a totally different game so they would not be able to directly compare it to MHW and aside from desprate haters, it would not be viewed as a lesser game.

I say let them do the port while working on a more unique, seperate game designed for the Switch in house.  It will run on the Switch with major cutbacks on visuals, but I think it would be interesting to see myself.  People would have a portable version of MHW and it would certainly sell without a doubt.  As for the bad publicity, it is better than no publicity at all, right?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261