By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Studio that ported Skyrim to the Switch wants to do Monster Hunter World next

Tagged games:

spemanig said:
I find it mind blowing that no one has brought up that Boyes used to work for Sony. Like the former VP of Publisher and Developer Relations at Sony now wants to port games to Switch.

Not that there's a problem with that or with not bringing it up, as it's irrelevant, but it just seems like the type of thing that would be brought up here.

Guy need to look at the interests of the company is currently under =]

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

BotW runs on WiiU so that show wiggle room for undocked Switch.

True, but some could argue that Xenoblade 2 could run on the WiiU as well.  With that in mind, I still wouldn't use Xeno 2 as a tech benchmark for what the Switch could do.

Now on topic, I do believe MHW could run on Switch.  However it would have such strong drawbacks that people would be too busy comparing it to the PS4 version instead of enjoying it for what it is, a portable alternative of the same game.  I can see it drawing the wrong type of publicity to be honest.

Another route they could take is to make an exclusive MH for Switch that focuses on the tech it has to offer.  The problem here is that haters would cry out that it is not the same game and in turn a lesser version (especially if they try to follow the same theme as MHW).  Die hard MH fans with a Switch would be happy though, so there is that.  Now if they follow their own gameplay formula and add unique features that cater towards the Switch, then that could be the best option.  It would be a totally different game so they would not be able to directly compare it to MHW and aside from desprate haters, it would not be viewed as a lesser game.

I say let them do the port while working on a more unique, seperate game designed for the Switch in house.  It will run on the Switch with major cutbacks on visuals, but I think it would be interesting to see myself.  People would have a portable version of MHW and it would certainly sell without a doubt.  As for the bad publicity, it is better than no publicity at all, right?

1 and 2, I agree.

I have nothing against they trying to do the port (but I think it would probably be subpar and used as excuse for poor sales)... and there wouldn't be much reason to make an exclusive to the Switch, because if it can run on it then it would also run on PS4/X1, but sure if it's to close of MHW launch the sales wouldn't be much meaningful.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Shiken said:

I had no problems with Xenoblade 2 undocked.  I do however feel like the portable portion of the package was not as well optimized as it could have been though.  We still have BotW running undocked at 720p with a solid frame rate, and that game is also massive and shares the same art style.

I love Xenoblade 2, but using it as a tech benchmark makes no sense as I feel it could have hit those upper marks easily with a bit more time in development.

Like I said, it was jarring for me to go from the sharp image of the docked mode to the blurry JPEG quality of the undocked. I tried to like it, I just couldn't. And the thing is, it's a low res, upscaled to 720p, which kinda makes it look even worse. 

And yes, I agree that future Monolith games will look much better than XC2, which is a essentially a Wii U level game in terms of technology. Same even goes for Zelda, Switch those games don't utilize the full power of Switch, so I can't wait to see what the Zelda team and Monolith do next with most likely UE4. 

Nintendo won't use U4. They only use internal engines.

Nem said:
Ljink96 said:

Like I said, it was jarring for me to go from the sharp image of the docked mode to the blurry JPEG quality of the undocked. I tried to like it, I just couldn't. And the thing is, it's a low res, upscaled to 720p, which kinda makes it look even worse. 

And yes, I agree that future Monolith games will look much better than XC2, which is a essentially a Wii U level game in terms of technology. Same even goes for Zelda, Switch those games don't utilize the full power of Switch, so I can't wait to see what the Zelda team and Monolith do next with most likely UE4. 

lol, Nintendo is already using UE4 with Yoshi. Miyamoto also said Nintendo's internal teams have "Mastered" UE4. They're going to use it to save time and resources that come with building an engine from the ground up. It just isn't worth it unless they develop an engine as versatile as UE4...which won't be happening.

They wouldn't master something if they weren't going to use it...I'd hope. Or else that a waste of R&D.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 07 March 2018

Ljink96 said:
Nem said:

lol, Nintendo is already using UE4 with Yoshi. Miyamoto also said Nintendo's internal teams have "Mastered" UE4. They're going to use it to save time and resources that come with building an engine from the ground up. It just isn't worth it unless they develop an engine as versatile as UE4...which won't be happening.

They wouldn't master something if they weren't going to use it...I'd hope. Or else that a waste of R&D.

I agree, but i am surprised if Nintendo actually does that.

spemanig said:
I find it mind blowing that no one has brought up that Boyes used to work for Sony. Like the former VP of Publisher and Developer Relations at Sony now wants to port games to Switch.

Not that there's a problem with that or with not bringing it up, as it's irrelevant, but it just seems like the type of thing that would be brought up here.

That was something I noticed as well, but I didn't say anything either, haha. I felt it was irrelevant as well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
It'll happen. That or there's a MH5 or whatever in the works.

Pretty sure Socks already confirmed that Monster Hunter World []is Monster Hunter 5. They opted for the World title for a number of reasons:

1. It's more inclusive to those who have never played an MH title. Seeing the number 5 in the title could scare some off, as though it implies four other games must be played first to enjoy this title. Calling it World fixes that problem.
  2. It's indicative of the new direction. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that World is a pretty big step forward for the MH series, and calling MH5 World is reflective of these core changes.
  3. It's also a way to represent the new maps, all being significantly larger and open with no loading screens.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
S.Peelman said:
It'll happen. That or there's a MH5 or whatever in the works.

Pretty sure Socks already confirmed that Monster Hunter World []is Monster Hunter 5. They opted for the World title for a number of reasons:

1. It's more inclusive to those who have never played an MH title. Seeing the number 5 in the title could scare some off, as though it implies four other games must be played first to enjoy this title. Calling it World fixes that problem.
  2. It's indicative of the new direction. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that World is a pretty big step forward for the MH series, and calling MH5 World is reflective of these core changes.
  3. It's also a way to represent the new maps, all being significantly larger and open with no loading screens.

And it is aimed at World instead of Japan.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Azuren said:

Right, dammit. I forgot that one.

Azuren said:
DonFerrari said:

Getting senile?

DonFerrari said:
Azuren said:

Getting senile?

No, I'm manic with insomnia.