By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you cope with knowing you will die?

Accept it. Think back to 2000 years ago, not existing wasn't so bad was it?

Around the Network
Rayban99 said:

Actually, a lot of times I do wish that I was born earlier, because I think of the retro gaming that I missed out on and now trying to get into it is pretty expensive

Your soul is immortal.

Considering the size of the universe and the fact there may be a cycle of big bangs and big crunches that have been going on perhaps for infinity I find it difficult to except that my life won't end. Take pleasure where you can and perhaps stop and think about the amazing experience to exist and think. I remember Carl Sagan on Cosmos saying life is a way of the universe to know itself. In a hundred years from now we are likely all gone and another set of idiots will be pondering their existance on some sort of gaming forum then. Perhaps 500 years from now there will be humans living and existing on planets around other stars and again pondering their existence and meaning.

I always like to read of people thinking about death and their existence, it somehow makes me feel more connected to others. Sometimes we focus on the trivia of life, gamesplaying etc and so many things that really don't matter and its nice to read there are other tortured souls out there I guess. There is really no wrong options in life because ultimately there is no real purpose, have kids, don't have kids, make money, don't make money or just be lazy, eat what you like and enjoy games and movies and travelling etc. Sometimes people seem to think they need to achieve something before death and that makes death something that could happen soon and stop them doing that which could be upsetting but really you shouldn't think that way.

We might remember famous people of a few decades ago but what about great musicians of the 17th Century or people that did fine art and pottery back in the time of the Pharoehs. Many people have achieved great things and been forgotten in time and would it even matter if their name was remembered anyway.

Remember if we didn't die all the worlds resources would have been used up a long time ago and many billions of creatures would never had the chance to exist at all.

What do we actually do anyway, frequent trips to the toilet, eat food, talk nonsense that doesn't matter, sleep, repeatedly do the same crappy tasks, buy crap we don't need etc.

The older you get the more you see patterns repeating, the same tired old stories in tv programs for example.

The fact that death is something negative is just something what our system/media tells us. Actually it's only the fact that your soul leaves your physical body. Be sure that you have reached as many of your life targets/dreams as possible. If you don't know your life targets, just go out into the nature, enjoy the silence and manage your thoughts. Appreciate your life and make as many experiences as possible!

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
The fact that death is something negative is just something what our system/media tells us. Actually it's only the fact that your soul leaves your physical body. Be sure that you have reached as many of your life targets/dreams as possible. If you don't know your life targets, just go out into the nature, enjoy the silence and manage your thoughts. Appreciate your life and make as many experiences as possible!

I appreciate the sentiment However I can't bring myself to believe that, considering that our consciousness comes from our brain.

VGPolyglot said:
Rayban99 said:

Actually, a lot of times I do wish that I was born earlier, because I think of the retro gaming that I missed out on and now trying to get into it is pretty expensive

I wish I was born from 1978-1982.

VGPolyglot said:
jason1637 said:
Just accept it. And there might be some sort of afterlife when you die so in a way you're mind really won't be dead.

That creates an alternate problem that I'd have though, if I believed in an afterlife: why bother coping and dealing with life's problems if I can just end it and go somewhere else where I don't have to worry?

I guess you're not a parent yet :p How does the worry stop in the afterlife. Wouldn't you still be worried for your children, partner other loved ones, yet now you can do nothing to help them anymore? I never understood that about the idea of heaven. How can it be heaven if you're still worried about your loved ones...

The only real freedom is non existence...

SvennoJ said:
VGPolyglot said:

That creates an alternate problem that I'd have though, if I believed in an afterlife: why bother coping and dealing with life's problems if I can just end it and go somewhere else where I don't have to worry?

I guess you're not a parent yet :p How does the worry stop in the afterlife. Wouldn't you still be worried for your children, partner other loved ones, yet now you can do nothing to help them anymore? I never understood that about the idea of heaven. How can it be heaven if you're still worried about your loved ones...

The only real freedom is non existence...

I don't believe in an afterlife.

I'm not.