By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you cope with knowing you will die?

This has been something that has profoundly troubled me. Just knowing that I will die, that there is nothing I can do about it, that eventually my mind will cease to function, that every trace of me will eventually be non-existent, etc. I have had a lot of depression throughout my life, from dealing with family suicides, to social anxiety at school and work, to fear of my future, having to cope with people ignoring me and not wanting to resolve the conflict, but this one has given me extreme trouble, too. It's one of those things I constantly think of, on both ends. I fear death, but I am  also curious about it, I get paralyzed with fear of death, yet I also wonder what it would be like. I don't know if this is a result of other underlying issues that I have had/continue to have, and I transfer my worries of that to death, but if you guys have some ways of coping with that, I'd like to hear it. Or maybe I'm just desperate to talk and am making this thread because of that

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

This has been something that has profoundly troubled me. Just knowing that I will die, that there is nothing I can do about it, that eventually my mind will cease to function, that every trace of me will eventually be non-existent.

I comfort myself about my impending death knowing that the sun will go supernova in 5 billion years, destroying the Earth in the process and rendering every trace of everyone that has ever lived as non-existent, and yet at the same time, every mistake that everyone has every made will also be made non-existent.

Living forever and never dying would be worse IMO, that's how i feel about it.

people fear what they dont understand. in the case of death, we dont know anything because once youre dead, thats it. we have no definitive answer to what happens once you die and we likely never will. similarly, i have freaked out over the same thing. the idea that one day i will cease to exist is terrifying.

if you are looking for a way to cope with it, then learn to take life one day at a time. you dont know whether you will live for 50 more years, or 5, but constantly thinking about when it will happen is no way to go about it. sure, you dont know if youll make it to 50, but you also dont know if youll make it to tomorrow. im not trying to say you need to constantly live life to the fullest and take every opportunity, but learn to focus on the now. right now, im just browsing through websites, and everything is fine at this moment, so im not worried about whats going to happen years down the road.

Nighthawk117 said:
VGPolyglot said:

This has been something that has profoundly troubled me. Just knowing that I will die, that there is nothing I can do about it, that eventually my mind will cease to function, that every trace of me will eventually be non-existent.

I comfort myself about my impending death knowing that the sun will go supernova in 5 billion years, destroying the Earth in the process and rendering every trace of everyone that has ever lived as non-existent, and yet at the same time, every mistake that everyone has every made will also be made non-existent.

Well then...

Around the Network

Ever since I made my life bucket list small and manageable, I've been coping well.

I don't think I can offer much help. The way I cope with it is, death comes for everyone eventually. No one lives forever. So all I can do is enjoy what I have and can, and try to achieve all my goals and dreams before I eventually leave this life.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I deal with death accepting it. It's natural and it will eventually happen to everyone. It actually incentivizes me to want to make something that people will remember even after I die and to enjoy my life while I have it.

B O I

I take comfort in the knowledge that I will die. I used to have such desire to achieve my dreams. I reached them in a way. Just not in the way I expected. It turns out that life is much harder than I ever knew. My choices have been very poor. My karma is difficult.

I take comfort in the belief that when we die it’s our time. I won’t kill myself because it would cause too much suffering and my rebirth would be less auspicious. But I will do the best I can with what I have until my time comes.

I've always just accepted it. Death is an inevitability, a part of life that cannot be avoided.

Like the saying goes ,"Live every day like it's your last", because we can die at any moment.

I would rather spend the time I have in this world enjoying it while I can, the memories i've made, the memories I will make, and try to make my life worthwhile rather than worrying about how eventually it has to come to an end, because that's inevitable for everyone. 

Do I hope to live a very long life? Of course, I think most people would say the same thing, but It doesn't matter how long you have in this world, what matters is what you do with that time in my opinion. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 02 March 2018