By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you cope with knowing you will die?

Ka-pi96 said:
I don't know that I will die though. There's no evidence to suggest I will. Sure, other people die, but they're not me, so what's to say that I'm the same as them in that aspect? And if I do die, will it will be too late then to realise that I"m going to die since it will have already happened.

There is actually quite a bit of evidence to suggest you will. Have you never had cells in your body die before?

Around the Network

How do you know you aren't already dead? or maybe you are alive but instead are just a simulation? Another thing is life only goes on because time goes on.

I am a little disappointed that I will die before we ever experience anything else in the universe, I would have liked to see the progress of space technology and the like. But death is just death, there are more people dead than alive, so maybe dying is an adaptive response :P.

Farsala said:
How do you know you aren't already dead? or maybe you are alive but instead are just a simulation? Another thing is life only goes on because time goes on.

I am a little disappointed that I will die before we ever experience anything else in the universe, I would have liked to see the progress of space technology and the like. But death is just death, there are more people dead than alive, so maybe dying is an adaptive response :P.

Well, if I'm already dead, then I guess death itself is meaningless

I don't cope with it. I just accept it and just live to enjoy life while I can. I don't know what happens after I die but I will find out. Whatever happens, I'll deal with it if I still exist.

I am in the same boat as the OP with regards to how I view death. I know some comfort themselves with spirituality (namely with concepts of the afterlife or a rebirth) and/or focus on their life so that they do not think of death; however, for me, even the possibility of losing consciousness (no awareness, no dreams, etc.) forever, because I no longer exist is maddening to think about. I try not to think about it, but when I do...oh boy...

Around the Network
nemo37 said:
I am in the same boat as the OP with regards to how I view death. I know some comfort themselves with spirituality (namely with concepts of the afterlife or a rebirth) and/or focus on their life so that they do not think of death; however, for me, even the possibility of losing consciousness (no awareness, no dreams, etc.) forever, because I no longer exist is maddening to think about. I try not to think about it, but when I do...oh boy...

Yeah, it's very difficult for me as well, I remember having a few spurts when it was especially bad where I was depressed for months and essentially had no motivation to do anything.

Honestly, I would like to live at least until I'm 300 years old.I suppose there will be some good advances in anti-aging technology during my lifetime, perfected artificial organs, or maybe even consciousness transfer.Although I have accepted that we as humans die, if I died tomorrow I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed.I am more worried about the impact it would have on my family than about my unfulfilled goals tough.

VGPolyglot said:
nemo37 said:

Yeah, it's very difficult for me as well, I remember having a few spurts when it was especially bad where I was depressed for months and essentially had no motivation to do anything.

In my case, I started to think more of death about 6 years back. I was in the final year of high school with lots of pressure regarding getting accepted into university, my Mom got diagnosed with cancer, and I had several members of my extended family pass away within close range of each other, and on top of that I was at a point where I was also coming to terms with being gay. It got me to a point of extreme stress and anxiety and constantly thinking about death and some times even suicide. Thankfully, my situation did improve. My Mom, thankfully, got better and is now cancer free and I went through the initial phase of my University education successfully (my sexuality is something that I have still not fully dealt with, but I am coping with it a little better). I still do have bouts of depression and intense anxiety, albeit a lot less frequently now, and when they hit it brings along all the thoughts and anxieties regarding death, which just leads to further downward spiral with regards to mood and even functioning. The only way to get myself out of it is by trying to distract myself with something else. 

Cope? I find it comforting.

You probably are but so what ? Just about everything comes to an end according to the physical laws of our universe. If you think yours/ours end is bleak or tragic then think about the possible limited lifetime of our universe where we reach maximum entropy and there's no more flow of energy to be had anymore ...

Nearly everything we see has an expiration date and it's no different for the tons of online game services out there too that get their servers shutdown ...

I don't go around pondering my eventual end so I can live my life to the fullest and I bet neither would most people since what most of us cares about is the present day ...