By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo prioritizing peripherals over hardware revisions with the Switch

I think Nintendo would be met with backlash if they released a new revision so soon after release. They can barely keep up with demand with the current model, this is silly business.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
flashfire926 said:
Yes, awesome news. The switch should always stay a hybrid. No Switch mini or xl or anything should happen. It will only over complicate things.

For people who are clamoring for a smaller sized, more portable experience, or budget handheld for the kids, the 3DS is for you. And once the 3DS gets discontinued, the Switch will already be budget enough for kids.

No need for a portable-only "switch".

News ways to play and more peripherals are the way to go.

I know people say the Switch is portable but, it isn't for me. If it can't fit into my pockets, it's not portable. I'm not a woman. I don't carry a purse or handbag. So for me, a Switch the size of a GBA would be awesome.

So a redesign of the system for the person who hasn't figured out how to carry a switch with them yet after a full year with the system?

I mean... what about people who have no pockets at all but really want a switch? Or those who are against holding a system in their hands? why doesn't Nintendo get working on a version of the system which is smaller and waterproof so they could carry it around in their mouth???

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, I wanted to get Switch this year but I won't if we don't get a revision. It's too big and the battery life too bad for me to buy it right now.

You've got a device slightly larger than a mobile phone that can run Doom 2016 for about 3-4 hours on a single charge.

1. How small do you want the device to be while still featuring a full Dualshock worth of buttons and sticks.

2. You get close to 5 hours from the Switch on a single charge, you can get a 10,000MAH battery bank to double that from Amazon giving you 10 hours if you're going on a long trip.... how long do you go in reality without coming in contact with a power outlet? I mean most buses and trains have usb charging facilities here.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

shikamaru317 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

You've got a device slightly larger than a mobile phone that can run Doom 2016 for about 3-4 hours on a single charge.

1. How small do you want the device to be while still featuring a full Dualshock worth of buttons and sticks.

2. You get close to 5 hours from the Switch on a single charge, you can get a 10,000MAH battery bank to double that from Amazon giving you 10 hours if you're going on a long trip.... how long do you go in reality without coming in contact with a power outlet? I mean most buses and trains have usb charging facilities here.

1. A bit bigger than a Vita sounds good to me, but with 2 shoulder buttons of course. Something like this, maybe a tad bigger. Just the right size to fit in a front jeans pocket.

2. It's more like 3 hours on the more graphically demanding games like Zelda. A decent 10,000 mAH battery pack costs a good $40. I already find $300 for Switch quite steep, no way I'm paying an extra $40 on top of it. 

Mind boggling, the games cost 60 for the AAA stuff anyway so if $40 (god knows where that would be from, my 10kMAH pack cost me €10 ) would be a deal breaker for you then maybe the system just isn't for you.

That vitaesque shaping of the system doesn't factor in the obvious increase depth required for a second set of shoulder buttons... and again the fact that you are looking for a machine with even more compact tech than it currently has while increasing the battery life and reducing the cost so you could afford it still, simply put your issues with the Switch can't be solved by Nintendo.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/battery-life.png

for info, games like doom can last around 3 hours without wifi and lower brightness settings, all the way up to the port of the ps4 disgaea 5 on the system which can give you over 7 hours from a single charge... again thou, do you go for 3 hours in a day without going near a usb port or wall socket?.... do you go 7 hours?

The wording definitely makes a hint toward a future revision coming in 2019, which would make sense considering how Nintendo usually updates its handheld devices with revisions.

Around the Network

Well that is unfortunate.
Hopefully we can get some decent hardware in 2019.

Music in my ears. I see no reason for a hardware revision at the moment.

Ganoncrotch said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I know people say the Switch is portable but, it isn't for me. If it can't fit into my pockets, it's not portable. I'm not a woman. I don't carry a purse or handbag. So for me, a Switch the size of a GBA would be awesome.

So a redesign of the system for the person who hasn't figured out how to carry a switch with them yet after a full year with the system?

I mean... what about people who have no pockets at all but really want a switch? Or those who are against holding a system in their hands? why doesn't Nintendo get working on a version of the system which is smaller and waterproof so they could carry it around in their mouth???

Yes... that's exactly what I was hinting at when I said that. I fully expect Nintendo to read my messages, find out what I don't like and then change course just for me. Not only that, I am also aware that I am the only human being on earth who wants a handheld gaming device that can fit into my pocket. I mean, the insanity of such a request... right? I must be the only mother fucker on the planet who would want such ease of portability.

Madness.

Ganoncrotch said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Critical thought is key. 

Huge, already established market for portables that fit in your pocket. Nintendo's entire handheld history. The biggest mobile manufacturers like Apple and Samsung are actively tackling both markets with tablet size phones and more convenient sized ones.

No established or notable market for the nonsense you mention in your second post.

And preference is key. Its not a matter of people literally not being able to carry a Switch around but the preference of it being more easily portable friendly, less fiddly components, longer battery etc just as a tablet doesn't do anything a phone can't, it just makes it more enjoyable, practical experience and vice versa. Likely Nintendo's first audience for a Switch Pocket would be the early adopters who already have one.

I'm actually holding off getting a Switch before they iron out certain issues (like scratched glass, or the HW being bent) so I'm glad to hear this.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.