By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo prioritizing peripherals over hardware revisions with the Switch

RedKingXIII said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Makes sense. Until the sales of the Switch don't start to drop below certain levels, there's no reason to add more models. I wonder which peripherals are they talking about. A headset with official voicechat support? Labo? The Vitality Sensor?...

Does Labo count as a peripheral? That's what I'm thinking, but I guess that's not what WSJ is referring to. And I see no reason to do a revision right now, but I wish they do a dock redesign that doesn't scratch Switch's screen.

Well, it counts as something, but I don't know exactly what. I mean, it's a game that needs an extra physical prop to function, isn't that the definition of peripheral-based games?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Well, I thought with the Labo that was pretty evident.

Darwinianevolution said:
Makes sense. Until the sales of the Switch don't start to drop below certain levels, there's no reason to add more models. I wonder which peripherals are they talking about. A headset with official voicechat support? Labo? The Vitality Sensor?...

Labo is one example mentioned in article, there will definatly be some controls peripherals/addons, also this is very intresting "could also include additional network-related features and peripherals to be attached to its USB Type-C port"

flashfire926 said:
Yes, awesome news. The switch should always stay a hybrid. No Switch mini or xl or anything should happen. It will only over complicate things.

For people who are clamoring for a smaller sized, more portable experience, or budget handheld for the kids, the 3DS is for you. And once the 3DS gets discontinued, the Switch will already be budget enough for kids.

No need for a portable-only "switch".

News ways to play and more peripherals are the way to go.

This article talks only about this years plans, not that Nintendo dont plans any Switch revisions, Mini or XL, offcourse that we will have some kind of Switch revisions in future. There is nothing complicated about wider offer of Switch platform.

3DS has price point from $80 to $200 and probably will be discounted in around year, there is no way that Switch will have price point below $250 in around year, not to mention, lower price point like $150.

No there is no need for portable-only Switch, but its smart to offer wider offer and lower price point for Switch platform (look at 3DS price point example) instead having only one Switch hardware.

good. Is anybody really expecting revisions already? We're only coming up on a year now.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
good. Is anybody really expecting revisions already? We're only coming up on a year now.

GBA, DS & 3DS got their first revisions about 1.5-2 years after launch so it wouldnt be crazy for Switch to get a revision in Fall 2018.

With that said, i think Fall 2019 would be a good time for the 1st revision.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Yes, awesome news. The switch should always stay a hybrid. No Switch mini or xl or anything should happen. It will only over complicate things.

For people who are clamoring for a smaller sized, more portable experience, or budget handheld for the kids, the 3DS is for you. And once the 3DS gets discontinued, the Switch will already be budget enough for kids.

This.  A Switch that can't be home console and portable is not a Switch anymore.  Why would you want to play console games on a screen any smaller than the Switch has?  And if it's console only, the people claiming that is what they want will just go back to b*tching about it being underpowered.  The people claiming they wish the Switch was "only this" or "only that" aren't Nintendo's target market, because they were never going to buy it anyway.

flashfire926 said:

I know people say the Switch is portable but, it isn't for me. If it can't fit into my pockets, it's not portable. I'm not a woman. I don't carry a purse or handbag. So for me, a Switch the size of a GBA would be awesome.

Not surprised by this.  The 3ds still has another year left in it and Nintendo has yet to finish the Switch software. They need to focus on getting their paid online finished and working well.  Next year makes more sense for a revision. I do wonder though if this means Pokemon won't be out this year. It makes too much sense to wait for a Switch Pocket version and using Pokemon to push hardware for that as well as original Switch.

Warriors of Social Justice?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

After the 3DS is finished, I wouldn't mind mind a smaller, cheaper Switch.