By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Germany eliminates Canada in Olympic ice hockey

COKTOE said:
Errorist76 said:

Haha yeah...I was just wondering how that works exactly. Can anyone explain what the exact deal was about?

To the best of my knowledge, and somebody correct me if I mess up: A significant number of Russian athletes were banned from competition before the Olympics began. Those that were allowed to compete, could not represent the flag of Russia, nor would the Russian anthem play if they won an event. If Russia was able to complete these Olympics with a clean slate ( no positive tests), they would likely be reinstated as a country after the closing ceremonies.As it is, with a doping scandal last week, that likely won't happen.

Yeah exactly...there even was a second case discovered today. Guess someone’s going to get a call from Putin soon...

I was just wondering how the ice hockey team was able to compete, but they just represent the Olympic Athletes of Russia under the Olympic flag and hymn. Thx

Around the Network
HomokHarcos said:
Errorist76 said:

Ice Hockey in general isn’t exactly huge here, even thought it might even be the second most popular sport to watch, but our team has always been a top 10 team...that said, last time they won an Olympic medal was 1976, which was bronze. So yeah, this is special, especially when the guys are surprisingly beating the top teams...even though Canada might have been in a weaker position than usual this time.

Haven’t watched a lot of the Olympic Games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

Cheers and high five to Canada btw...Norway, Germany and Canada are showing the USA their backsides atm.

It's interesting to me that the second most popular sport isn't that huge. Germany only has 1 team sport with national popularity?

pretty much. All other teams sports combined don't even come close to football, in both spectators and players.

Football has 7,000,000 players
Handball has 750,000 players
Volleyball has 430,000 players
Basketball has 200,000 players
Hockey has 82,000 players
American Football has 55,000 players
Ice Hockey has 25,000 players
Baseball/Softball has 23,000 players
Rugby has 14,000 players

Barozi said:
HomokHarcos said:

It's interesting to me that the second most popular sport isn't that huge. Germany only has 1 team sport with national popularity?

pretty much. All other teams sports combined don't even come close to football, in both spectators and players.

Rugby has 14,000 players

Oh yeah, forgot about Hockey. Didn’t think it was that popular among players, same as American football. Was solely talking about popularity among spectators btw, which I’m sure differs a bit. I see Ice Hockey much higher there.

It's very cool that Germany beated Canada in hockey, but honestly nobody cares about this Olimpic tournamennnnnnnnnnnnce the best players aren't available.

Barozi said:
HomokHarcos said:

Rugby has 14,000 players

7,000,000 players? The vast majority of them have got to be amateurs, right?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Barozi said:

Rugby has 14,000 players

Of course.

Errorist76 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Of course.

It still sounds very high to me, that's like 1 in every 11 or 12 people being registered football players.

VGPolyglot said:
Errorist76 said:

Of course.

It still sounds very high to me, that's like 1 in every 11 or 12 people being registered football players.

He was using the number of registered DFB members, the German Football Club. It’s over 7 million, which includes elders and women of course.

I assume you don’t have to actively play to be a member though.

Germany is crazy for football. 

VGPolyglot said:
Barozi said:

Rugby has 14,000 players

It's the country with the most registered players.

HomokHarcos said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's the country with the most registered players.

China needs to step up their game!