By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Germany eliminates Canada in Olympic ice hockey

BTW 2017 over 8000 new Syrians and Afghanis newly registered at the DFB :)

Around the Network
HomokHarcos said:
VGPolyglot said:

7,000,000 players? The vast majority of them have got to be amateurs, right?

It's the country with the most registered players.

Didn’t even know that...haha. Although I assume a number of them are just professional couch players ;)

How big is Ice Hockey in Canada? It’s your national sport, right?

Errorist76 said:
HomokHarcos said:

It's the country with the most registered players.

Didn’t even know that...haha. Although I assume a number of them are just professional couch players ;)

How big is Ice Hockey in Canada? It’s your national sport, right?

Yeah, a few million more than anybody else. (However that's the amount of people playing for organized clubs, other countries might have more if you count people just playing on the street.)

2% of Canadians are registered players. But with how expensive equipment can be many people just play road hockey. As a spectator sport it's very popular. Half of Canada watched the gold medal game in 2010. The NHL is also the most popular sports league in Canada with the Stanley Cup Finals receiving high ratings.

I think the big issue is that it is in Korea. If it was in Canada again during the hockey season, I am sure they would join.

Still Germany typically does really well in the winter olympics regardless, so it isn't too big of a surprise.

Farsala said:
I think the big issue is that it is in Korea. If it was in Canada again during the hockey season, I am sure they would join.

Still Germany typically does really well in the winter olympics regardless, so it isn't too big of a surprise.

Last time they got a medal was 1976....my year of birth. 

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
Farsala said:

Last time they got a medal was 1976....my year of birth. 

While true, if the competition is fierce it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. It's hard enough to qualify as is.

Ka-pi96 said:
pastro243 said:

I guess you are referring to the players part, since no other event is bigger than the football WC and no other sports WC is bigger than the olympics 

The Olympics as a whole, sure. But a whole load of sports World Cup's are bigger than their Olympic event.

Well yeah, during their own WCs they generally don't have to compete with huge international events from basically every other winter sport.

Wish I would have seen this yesterday when the thread was active, but I found this kinda funny/odd: 

Germany issues ‘travel advisory’ after beating Canada in 2018 Winter Olympics hockey

https://globalnews.ca/news/4045215/germany-travel-advisory-canada-hockey-2018-winter-olympics/

Sorry about the ginormous text. Ha.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

They better not win the finals because I want that first place in the medal table.

COKTOE said:

Wish I would have seen this yesterday when the thread was active, but I found this kinda funny/odd: 

Germany issues ‘travel advisory’ after beating Canada in 2018 Winter Olympics hockey

https://globalnews.ca/news/4045215/germany-travel-advisory-canada-hockey-2018-winter-olympics/

Sorry about the ginormous text. Ha.

Why does the german foreign office write soccer instead of football? :-|