By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Germany eliminates Canada in Olympic ice hockey

COKTOE said:
Errorist76 said:

Ice Hockey in general isn’t exactly huge here, even thought it might even be the second most popular sport to watch, but our team has always been a top 10 team...that said, last time they won an Olympic medal was 1976, which was bronze. So yeah, this is special, especially when the guys are surprisingly beating the top teams...even though Canada might have been in a weaker position than usual this time.

Haven’t watched a lot of the games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

Yeah, Germany has been on the periphery of international hockey greatness for quite a while. I predicted both the Germans and the Swiss would cross over into the perennial elites about 20 years ago, and although it never happened, both programs have remained solid. Plus, I love your jerseys. :)

I wonder how good the Soviet Union would be if they were still around. Now they're split up into 15 different teams.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

Yeah, Germany has been on the periphery of international hockey greatness for quite a while. I predicted both the Germans and the Swiss would cross over into the perennial elites about 20 years ago, and although it never happened, both programs have remained solid. Plus, I love your jerseys. :)

I wonder how good the Soviet Union would be if they were still around. Now they're split up into 15 different teams.

They’d probably be banned as well due to doping, just like the Russians are o/

Just watched the game again. Even the commenters were crying...just like some players. Happy for them!

Errorist76 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Just watched the game again. Even the commenters were crying...just like some players. Happy for them!

There still is a team composed of Russian players, though.

COKTOE said:
Errorist76 said:

Ice Hockey in general isn’t exactly huge here, even thought it might even be the second most popular sport to watch, but our team has always been a top 10 team...that said, last time they won an Olympic medal was 1976, which was bronze. So yeah, this is special, especially when the guys are surprisingly beating the top teams...even though Canada might have been in a weaker position than usual this time.

Haven’t watched a lot of the games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

haha yeah...like em too. I like our eagle emblem and the overall design.

VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

That's a good question. Russia already has a very rich pool to choose from, so I don't think the strength of the best team they could field would increase TOO much, but rather, like Canada, they could more reasonably produce multiple squads with terrifying power if such a thing were allowed.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Errorist76 said:

Haha yeah...I was just wondering how that works exactly. Can anyone explain what the exact deal was about?

Edit: Ok, it seems uneffected athletes are allowed to compete under the neutral flag of “Olympic Athletes of Russia” under the Olympic hymn.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 23 February 2018

Errorist76 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Is it a big event there? I'm happy to see that Germany is interested.

Haven’t watched a lot of the Olympic Games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

Cheers and high five to Canada btw...Norway, Germany and Canada are showing the USA their backsides atm.

It's interesting to me that the second most popular sport isn't that huge. Germany only has 1 team sport with national popularity?

HomokHarcos said:
Errorist76 said:

Haven’t watched a lot of the Olympic Games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

Cheers and high five to Canada btw...Norway, Germany and Canada are showing the USA their backsides atm.

It's interesting to me that the second most popular sport isn't that huge. Germany only has 1 team sport with national popularity?

There’s basically football(soccer)....and football. Haha

Then a little bit of Ice Hockey, Handball and Basketball...maybe Volleyball and Tennis. 

Table Tennis is a very popular casual sport but not really on a professional level.

On a side note: I’ve watched our National Quidditch Team do their training lately..... o/

Errorist76 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Haha yeah...I was just wondering how that works exactly. Can anyone explain what the exact deal was about?

To the best of my knowledge, and somebody correct me if I mess up: A significant number of Russian athletes were banned from competition before the Olympics began. Those that were allowed to compete, could not represent the flag of Russia, nor would the Russian anthem play if they won an event. If Russia was able to complete these Olympics with a clean slate ( no positive tests), they would likely be reinstated as a country after the closing ceremonies.As it is, with a doping scandal last week, that likely won't happen.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."