By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Germany eliminates Canada in Olympic ice hockey

This is what happens when you don't let NHL players go. US didn't even make the semis. You know what African football players do when the African Cup Of Nations is on midway though European football season? They go.



Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:

This is what happens when you don't let NHL players go. US didn't even make the semis. You know what African football players do when the African Cup Of Nations is on midway though European football season? They go.

The NHL didn't allow their players to compete. This is the first time since 1994 where NHL players are barred. You are right that it taking place during the season is the main issue.



Ka-pi96 said:
So.... Canada suck at ice hockey now then?

Yes :(



The Fury said:

This is what happens when you don't let NHL players go. US didn't even make the semis. You know what African football players do when the African Cup Of Nations is on midway though European football season? They go.

Thanks to a change in a deal the NHL had with the IOC, which happened in 2013, it would have cost the NHL 20 million dollars or more for travel, accommodations, and insurance to attend these Olympics. That seems to have been the biggest reason they bailed. That's in addition to the disruption of their season, which causes logistical and monetary problems as well. I kinda like it the way it is tbh.



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
The Fury said:

This is what happens when you don't let NHL players go. US didn't even make the semis. You know what African football players do when the African Cup Of Nations is on midway though European football season? They go.

Thanks to a change in a deal the NHL had with the IOC, which happened in 2013, it would have cost the NHL 20 million dollars or more for travel, accommodations, and insurance to attend these Olympics. That seems to have been the biggest reason they bailed. That's in addition to the disruption of their season, which causes logistical and monetary problems as well. I kinda like it the way it is tbh.

Is that all? How much does 1 sponsor pay or how much is 1 seasons TV rights? How much advertising/promotion for the NHL can come from letting the best players compete against each other in the biggest Ice Hockey Tourament in the world.

Once every 4 years.



Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
COKTOE said:

Thanks to a change in a deal the NHL had with the IOC, which happened in 2013, it would have cost the NHL 20 million dollars or more for travel, accommodations, and insurance to attend these Olympics. That seems to have been the biggest reason they bailed. That's in addition to the disruption of their season, which causes logistical and monetary problems as well. I kinda like it the way it is tbh.

Is that all? How much does 1 sponsor pay or how much is 1 seasons TV rights? How much advertising/promotion for the NHL can come from letting the best players compete against each other in the biggest Ice Hockey Tourament in the world.

Once every 4 years.

Isn't the NHL the biggest Ice Hockey tournament in the world though?



Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't the NHL the biggest Ice Hockey tournament in the world though?

At least there is an international tournament for this american sport. Does American football even have one?



Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't the NHL the biggest Ice Hockey tournament in the world though?

At least there is an international tournament for this american sport. Does American football even have one?

*Canadian

I think Americaball does actually have a world cup though... IIRC it's all amateurs, but still

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 23 February 2018

The Fury said:
COKTOE said:

Thanks to a change in a deal the NHL had with the IOC, which happened in 2013, it would have cost the NHL 20 million dollars or more for travel, accommodations, and insurance to attend these Olympics. That seems to have been the biggest reason they bailed. That's in addition to the disruption of their season, which causes logistical and monetary problems as well. I kinda like it the way it is tbh.

Is that all? How much does 1 sponsor pay or how much is 1 seasons TV rights? How much advertising/promotion for the NHL can come from letting the best players compete against each other in the biggest Ice Hockey Tourament in the world.

Once every 4 years.

Yeah, I'm aware it's a paltry amount. League revenue was 4.1 billion in 2015/16. Lol. I think as far as the $$$ dispute was concerned, it was more of a slightly petty power struggle than anything else.



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Nymeria said:
It is odd to have the biggest event in a sport not feature the best players as have become accustomed in recent decades.


I expect Russia or "OAR" to win gold as they have the best talent once you strip away all the NHL guys.

Well, it's been that way with football at least, sides are under 23 with the exception of 3 players.