By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Germany eliminates Canada in Olympic ice hockey

numberwang said:
We use the term Ger-people-y.

Not once have I ever heard anyone complain about that.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
COKTOE said:

Thanks to a change in a deal the NHL had with the IOC, which happened in 2013, it would have cost the NHL 20 million dollars or more for travel, accommodations, and insurance to attend these Olympics. That seems to have been the biggest reason they bailed. That's in addition to the disruption of their season, which causes logistical and monetary problems as well. I kinda like it the way it is tbh.

Is that all? How much does 1 sponsor pay or how much is 1 seasons TV rights? How much advertising/promotion for the NHL can come from letting the best players compete against each other in the biggest Ice Hockey Tourament in the world.

Once every 4 years.

The NHL players actually took the tournament vey seriously which made it an important competition. Most fans were angry with the NHL's decision.

Teeqoz said:
COKTOE said:

Thanks to a change in a deal the NHL had with the IOC, which happened in 2013, it would have cost the NHL 20 million dollars or more for travel, accommodations, and insurance to attend these Olympics. That seems to have been the biggest reason they bailed. That's in addition to the disruption of their season, which causes logistical and monetary problems as well. I kinda like it the way it is tbh.

Seems short sighted considering how the Olympics are a venue to gain more international recognition and fans for a sport.

That's certainly part of the reason the NHL has participated in the past, and they've said as much themselves, but as far as I can tell, there's been no tangible results as far as increased revenue coming off of an Olympic tournament year. https://www.statista.com/statistics/193468/total-league-revenue-of-the-nhl-since-2006/

There are 3 Olympic appearances in the time frame of those figures. 2012/13 was shortened by a lockout. It's worth noting that the NHLPA could have made some noise about participation, but chose not to.

-edit. Upon revisiting the link, the figures are now behind a paywall. Had I known, I would have taken a screenshot.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 23 February 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

pastro243 said:
Nymeria said:
It is odd to have the biggest event in a sport not feature the best players as have become accustomed in recent decades.

I expect Russia or "OAR" to win gold as they have the best talent once you strip away all the NHL guys.

Well, it's been that way with football at least, sides are under 23 with the exception of 3 players. 

If there was a prominent ice hockey World Cup that had top players like FIFA it would make sense.  Historically the Olympics are the biggest international event in ice hockey.  When it was in Vancouver Canadians stated they'd sacrifice every other medal to secure a gold in ice hockey.  I don't think any nation would say that about Olympic football regardless of how passionate they are about the sport.

Ka-pi96 said:
pastro243 said:

Well, it's been that way with football at least, sides are under 23 with the exception of 3 players. 

The Olympics aren't the biggest event in football though, not even close. The World Cup is a much bigger event and that definitely has the best players from the best leagues.

Same for a lot of sports including golf and basketball

Around the Network

Everybody’s celebrating here. Who would’ve thought...now Russia is next, hehe.

Errorist76 said:

Is it a big event there? I'm happy to see that Germany is interested.

Kerotan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The Olympics aren't the biggest event in football though, not even close. The World Cup is a much bigger event and that definitely has the best players from the best leagues.

Same for a lot of sports including golf and basketball

I guess you are referring to the players part, since no other event is bigger than the football WC and no other sports WC is bigger than the olympics 

HomokHarcos said:
Errorist76 said:

Ice Hockey in general isn’t exactly huge here, even thought it might even be the second most popular sport to watch, but our team has always been a top 10 team...that said, last time they won an Olympic medal was 1976, which was bronze. So yeah, this is special, especially when the guys are surprisingly beating the top teams...even though Canada might have been in a weaker position than usual this time.

Haven’t watched a lot of the Olympic Games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

Cheers and high five to Canada btw...Norway, Germany and Canada are showing the USA their backsides atm.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 23 February 2018

Errorist76 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Ice Hockey in general isn’t exactly huge here, even thought it might even be the second most popular sport to watch, but our team has always been a top 10 team...that said, last time they won an Olympic medal was 1976, which was bronze. So yeah, this is special, especially when the guys are surprisingly beating the top teams...even though Canada might have been in a weaker position than usual this time.

Haven’t watched a lot of the games this year but started today, since I’m sick at home...was a nice start and pleasant surprise! 

Yeah, Germany has been on the periphery of international hockey greatness for quite a while. I predicted both the Germans and the Swiss would cross over into the perennial elites about 20 years ago, and although it never happened, both programs have remained solid. Plus, I love your jerseys. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."