By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Whats with publishers and Switch carts?

The whole you need to download the rest of the game to play it makes sense. Depending on the game. I mean if the game is over 16GB I won't blame them. 32GB is probably too expensive. However you know what would be cool? Having a collector's edition and making the game fit on a 32GB cart. You can increase the price and I guarantee the game will sell out! Maybe even sell more than the standard edition

Also Capcom has no excuse on butchering the Mega Man Legacy collection. These games easily fit on a 8GB card. An 8GB card is cheap and comparable to a Blu-Ray disc. They just want to limit used sales. Resident Evil Revelations had a good excuse why it had part 2 as a digital download. Capcom is just being greedy.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:

It's to fight the used games market. Your copy will be worth even less if part of the content can't even be accessed anymore after you sell it. They just hide behind the excuse " but carts are more expensive".

For really large games that excuse can be used of course, but not for a collection of NES roms.

Ganoncrotch said:
Just look at it like a online pass, a method for them to use the media to fight pre owned sales of the games, each time someone buys a used copy of Bayonetta 2 they need to still shell out 30 online for the first game.

Good call you two (and the other 4 people that called it).  this makes more sense than Nintendo and Capcom being cheap (not that they aren't but....)

Yeah, absolutely hate it, and it's a turn off for me whenever I see it for a game. It feels more unacceptable when the collection should be able to fit into a cart no problem.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

In this case, I feel it's just that they are being cheap, to make more money, rather than the cartridges being too expensive

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I'm going to pass then. I already have Legacy on 3DS. Really wanted Legacy 2 physical. Same thing with RE:R2. I had the first on Wii U, and wanted the second physical.

Oh well. I'd be mad about Bayonetta as well, but I have both of them physically on Wii U, so I'm all good there.

This is really starting to get annoying though.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

Platina said:
In this case, I feel it's just that they are being cheap, to make more money, rather than the cartridges being too expensive

For Megaman yes sure. The expense of carts is really for things bigger than 16gb. And its shows.... pretty frequently.

They do it to kill the secondary market.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
No, they aren't too expensive. Carts are just an excuse to move more and more to digital downloads for third parties.

Right. There haven't been any other (read: every single publisher) complaining about the high cost of Switch carts. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
No, they aren't too expensive. Carts are just an excuse to move more and more to digital downloads for third parties.

Right. There haven't been any other (read: every single publisher) complaining about the high cost of Switch carts. 

Lol I'm actually not sure why I wrote this because I don't even necessarily agree with it .... kind of odd, no joke. I guess I was reacting mostly to the Mega Man portion and should have made a more in-depth post. But you make a fair point. 

I understand that carts over a certain set amount do cost more but the fact that the publishers can't take the cost (most of the time it's games that have a higher price on Switch than they have on any other platform) is pretty ridiculous. We already know that certain games out there COULD be put on a cart but aren't and instead are put as a digital download. Games like LA Noire are 10$ more than other versions of the game, and it's unlikely that that doesn't cover the cost of the cart (in fact, it probably goes over it quite decently). There are more examples but you probably already know them anyways. It's not like third parties are in your best interest. Realistically, there is a cost associated with carts and that cost does suck ... but I'd much rather just pay the literal cost of the difference then some of these really inflated prices or cheap downloads. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 20 February 2018

Considering the size of the two games combined is rather small, this seems like a marketing decision. Encouraging more people to buy digital.

Given the way Nintendo handles digital downloads, I will always buy elsewhere for multiplat digital titles.

Recently Completed
Rage 2
for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)