By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch hacked by fail0verflow

Vodacixi said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

What does he do?

This Q&A game is getting pretty boring... but I'll keep going.

Haven't you read the OP?

There wouldn't be a Q n A if you just answered things clearly without abstract open ended answers. I obviously read the op. It doesn't sound like they did anything bad. I was trying to figure out if you hate them because hacking the Switch makes worse things more plausible and easier, or if you just don't like the act of downloading Linux on a Switch... 

Nothing im asking is unreasonable tbh  

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
ratchet426 said:

Oh c'mon, let's be real here: nobody is interested in putting Linux on a Switch. 99% of the excitement over fail0verflow's "accomplishment" is the idea that a  plethora of free, pirated games may soon be coming to Switch owners who are so inclined.

I'll concede that there may be a very (very) small percentage of people who are legitimately looking forward to watching a Grub boot screen on their Switch, but for the "masses" this development is all about FREE GAMEZ!!

(btw, I have long been a supporter of OSS - I've got Fedora 27 on my work PC  with LibreOffice and back in the day even donated a few $ to the Firefox 1.0 release )

that is quite a jump in logic...

Linux has nothing to do with any type of pirated games, so stop spreading bullshit please.

On the other hand there are a ton of applications that people expect and would like to use on their legitimately purchased hardware, like.... a web browser for example.

Emulation is another big reason and it's personally my number 1 reason to keep my Switch on a low firmware. I'm looking forward to having retroarch on it.

So yeah, don't worry about the piracy, that's for Nintendo to worry about if they so chose.

Wait, what? How is what I said a jump in logic? You actually proved my point by saying exactly what I was saying: Linux has nothing to do with pirating games.

I was responding to the person who asked why so many people wanted to run Linux on their Switch. I said that hacking a closed, proprietary system just to run Linux on it was a bullshit cover story for the _real_ purpose of root'ing a system - being able to run pirated games.

Now I'll admit that _maybe_ the fine folks at fail0verflow only hacked the Switch "because they can" and booted up Linux "just for for the fun of it", but you're living in a fantasy world if you think the vast majority of people who take advantage of this hack won't use it to play pirated games.

Ask yourself this: If Nintendo was actually cool with people hacking their brand new console, why put any restrictions on it in the first place? Why not just make the Switch an open platform that customers can hack away on to their hearts content? Why? Because they'd loose huge $$$ in game sales and no commercial game developer/publisher in their right mind is going to put time and money into developing a AAA game that can be copied and played for free on a hacked Switch.  

You can bet Ninty is hard at work trying to plug this security breach of their console asap and restore faith in their development partners.

ratchet426 said:

Ask yourself this: If Nintendo was actually cool with people hacking their brand new console, why put any restrictions on it in the first place? Why not just make the Switch an open platform that customers can hack away on to their hearts content? Why? Because they'd loose huge $$$ in game sales and no commercial game developer/publisher in their right mind is going to put time and money into developing a AAA game that can be copied and played for free on a hacked Switch. 

Actually... if Nintendo would allow unlicensend apps to run it would mean nobody would pay royalties to Nintendo for putting their game or app on the device. So without piracy Nintendo has a strong incentive to keep the platform closed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Vodacixi said:

This Q&A game is getting pretty boring... but I'll keep going.

Haven't you read the OP?

There wouldn't be a Q n A if you just answered things clearly without abstract open ended answers. I obviously read the op. It doesn't sound like they did anything bad. I was trying to figure out if you hate them because hacking the Switch makes worse things more plausible and easier, or if you just don't like the act of downloading Linux on a Switch... 

No offense, but it was very obvious what he feels just from "I hate this guy".

..there's only two kinds of gamers on the internet: those that don't mind hacking, and those that hate its guts because of piracy.

Xen said:

..there's only two kinds of gamers on the internet: those that don't mind hacking, and those that hate its guts because of piracy.

It didn't know if maybe fail was known as a pirate.. that is why I was asking.  Mnmenth..  menenethem.. uhh yeah that guy thought the answers were too obscure as well

Around the Network
Xen said:

It didn't know if maybe fail was known as a pirate.. that is why I was asking.  Mnmenth..  menenethem.. uhh yeah that guy thought the answers were too obscure as well

failoverflow are fine, it's just the truth is that most people use these hacks to pirate games: there is no guarantee of a good homebrew scene, and along even good ones, piracy is a monolith: look @ the NDS/PSP for example. 

...and then there were the PS2/X360. Very weak homebrew scenes, extreme piracy.

Well, anyway, now it's two less people that might find answers too obscure

ratchet426 said:
setsunatenshi said:

that is quite a jump in logic...

Linux has nothing to do with any type of pirated games, so stop spreading bullshit please.

On the other hand there are a ton of applications that people expect and would like to use on their legitimately purchased hardware, like.... a web browser for example.

Emulation is another big reason and it's personally my number 1 reason to keep my Switch on a low firmware. I'm looking forward to having retroarch on it.

So yeah, don't worry about the piracy, that's for Nintendo to worry about if they so chose.

Wait, what? How is what I said a jump in logic? You actually proved my point by saying exactly what I was saying: Linux has nothing to do with pirating games.

I was responding to the person who asked why so many people wanted to run Linux on their Switch. I said that hacking a closed, proprietary system just to run Linux on it was a bullshit cover story for the _real_ purpose of root'ing a system - being able to run pirated games.

Now I'll admit that _maybe_ the fine folks at fail0verflow only hacked the Switch "because they can" and booted up Linux "just for for the fun of it", but you're living in a fantasy world if you think the vast majority of people who take advantage of this hack won't use it to play pirated games.

You can bet Ninty is hard at work trying to plug this security breach of their console asap and restore faith in their development partners.

Linux does not lead to pirated games on Switch, that was my whole point.

There are other projects that aim for homebrew and CFW that may be used to play backup games, but that is a whole other topic.

I don't want to begin a whole discussion of the pros/cons of piracy as it was debated plenty of times even on this forum and I'm yet to see someone change their mind based on opposing arguments. So as I said previously, I am actually waiting for a good solution to hit my current firmware in order to install some retroarch cores, but this Linux hack is not it.

Also 1 final point from my side, to many groups like fail0verflow it's not about the commercial use of their hack, but the challenge and e-fame of being the first group to bypass the security measures. Many of them don't ever release their exploits until they are patched (which this specific group has done in the past)

setsunatenshi said:

Also 1 final point from my side, to many groups like fail0verflow it's not about the commercial use of their hack, but the challenge and e-fame of being the first group to bypass the security measures. Many of them don't ever release their exploits until they are patched (which this specific group has done in the past)

On that we agree. There is definitely a draw to be the first one to crack a closed platform - if only for the internet prestige .  Getting Linux to boot on such a device seems to be the de-facto "planting of the flag" to prove that the device has been successfully hacked. My point (not to belabor it) is that a great many gamers try to use Linux, homebrew apps, etc. as a justification for wanting/encouraging folks like fail0verflow to hack systems, when the gamer's real motivation is to have unfettered access to pirated games.

ratchet426 said:
setsunatenshi said:

On that we agree. There is definitely a draw to be the first one to crack a closed platform - if only for the internet prestige .  Getting Linux to boot on such a device seems to be the de-facto "planting of the flag" to prove that the device has been successfully hacked. My point (not to belabor it) is that a great many gamers try to use Linux, homebrew apps, etc. as a justification for wanting/encouraging folks like fail0verflow to hack systems, when the gamer's real motivation is to have unfettered access to pirated games.

Fair enough, I guess I can agree with the larger point that the users interest is not the "proof of concept" only, which might be the case for the hacking groups.

There is a larger discussion there, regarding piracy with its pros and cons. It's the responsibility of the platform holders to address those issues by facilitating digital distribution. Convenience is the tool to fight piracy. The more convenient the platform holders make it to play their games through legitimate means, the less demand for piracy will exist.

The music industry also dealt with it, which is why we don't download mp3 from Napster anymore :)

ratchet426 said:
S.Peelman said:
Why do people always want Linux on everything anyways.

They don't. That's just the altruistic cover story. What they really want is a way to pirate games for the Switch. 

The other favorite cover story for would-be pirates is "As a consumer I should be able to make an archival copy of my games to protect my legally purchased games/apps."  Same bulls**t, different twist.

“I just want to sample games before I buy them.”

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.