Why?

Because of what he does.

What does he do?

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Why?

Because of what he does.

Some people play games, others play with the box.
Nintendo has shown a clear interest in supporting both kinds of people, with the Switch.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 13 February 2018

Vodacixi said:

Because of what he does.

What does he do?

This Q&A game is getting pretty boring... but I'll keep going.

Haven't you read the OP?

Conina said:
Barkley said:

A Standard Tegra X1 will run a PSP emulator no problem, the CPU downclock from 1.9ghz to 1ghz in the Switch might pose a problem for PSP emulation, dunno.

Sorry, what? Much slower mobile SoCs than a downclocked Tegra X1 can handle the PPSSPP emulator in full speed (original PSP performance or better).

My last phone wasn't good enough, for demanding games anyway (wipeout pulse), had a Mediatek Helio X10 MT6795. So 8x Cortex A53's clocked at 2ghz. Though the number of cores probably doesn't matter as I doubt PPSSPP supports that many.

So are A57's at 1ghz better than A53's at 2ghz?

caffeinade said:
Vodacixi said:

Because of what he does.

Decent people pay for their games. Thiefs don't. Nintendo clearly doesn't support the later. Neither do I. In fact, I'm even less tolerant than Nintendo when it comes to piracy. I hate it with all my heart.

Now, you can say you are not interested in piracy, but in homebrew in general. To be able to do things with your Switch that are not possible with the official software. I think you're lying about yourself. But let's say you really only want to do that. I would be fine with that... if piracy wouldn't be the main atraction of this whole thing. You see, only a minority of people want to hack their consoles to do some harmless stuff like emulate old consoles, add features that are not available for the system... The vast majority of people hacks their consoles to play free games. The bad greatly overpowers the good. So in my book... news like the ones in this thread shouldn't be something people are happy about.

And I don't have anything more to say about this topic.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

Why?

Because of what he does.

Are you aware, that "he" is a group of people?

And you can't be throwing in non-explaining one-liners and expect people to catch your meaning.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Vodacixi said:
caffeinade said:

Decent people pay for their games. Thiefs don't. Nintendo clearly doesn't support the later. Neither do I. In fact, I'm even less tolerant than Nintendo when it comes to piracy. I hate it with all my heart.

Now, you can say you are not interested in piracy, but in homebrew in general. To be able to do things with your Switch that are not possible with the official software. I think you're lying about yourself. But let's say you really only want to do that. I would be fine with that... if piracy wouldn't be the main atraction of this whole thing. You see, only a minority of people want to hack their consoles to do some harmless stuff like emulate old consoles, add features that are not available for the system... The vast majority of people hacks their consoles to play free games. The bad greatly overpowers the good. So in my book... news like the ones in this thread shouldn't be something people are happy about.

And I don't have anything more to say about this topic.

Fail0verflow themself have a pretty clear anti-piracy stance. You choose not to believe them, because you don't understand that some people are not satisfied with doing things as the company decides for you, but want to explore the possibilities. That's what in the end brings innovation. As I said above, Nintendo introduced with 3DS features added on DS with homebrew. I don't think that is coincidence. Apple added features to iPhones, that were introduced through Jailbreaks. The same applies here. In the end we all profit from some adventurous individuals that push the borders of what you can do. Many things in detail were possible through hackign: playing Mario Kart Wii online after the official servers shut down, adding mods to games that had no modding API (the first mods were through hacks), the Starcraft-remake emulates a overflow bug, because map-maker used that to introduce more features than Blizzard planned to allow map-makers.

You outright say that's all smoke mirror for thieves. I feel sorry for you.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ratchet426 said:
Mnementh said:

Nope, that is the cover story of haters, that everyone is a pirate and everything revolves around pirating things. Open Source Software actually is based on the idea that sharing your work is no problem. You don't pirate by using Open Source Software.

Oh c'mon, let's be real here: nobody is interested in putting Linux on a Switch. 99% of the excitement over fail0verflow's "accomplishment" is the idea that a  plethora of free, pirated games may soon be coming to Switch owners who are so inclined.

I'll concede that there may be a very (very) small percentage of people who are legitimately looking forward to watching a Grub boot screen on their Switch, but for the "masses" this development is all about FREE GAMEZ!!

(btw, I have long been a supporter of OSS - I've got Fedora 27 on my work PC  with LibreOffice and back in the day even donated a few $ to the Firefox 1.0 release )

that is quite a jump in logic...

Linux has nothing to do with any type of pirated games, so stop spreading bullshit please.

On the other hand there are a ton of applications that people expect and would like to use on their legitimately purchased hardware, like.... a web browser for example.

Emulation is another big reason and it's personally my number 1 reason to keep my Switch on a low firmware. I'm looking forward to having retroarch on it.

So yeah, don't worry about the piracy, that's for Nintendo to worry about if they so chose.

Barkley said:
Conina said:

Sorry, what? Much slower mobile SoCs than a downclocked Tegra X1 can handle the PPSSPP emulator in full speed (original PSP performance or better).

My last phone wasn't good enough, for demanding games anyway (wipeout pulse), had a Mediatek Helio X10 MT6795. So 8x Cortex A53's clocked at 2ghz. Though the number of cores probably doesn't matter as I doubt PPSSPP supports that many.

Even the Nvidia Shield tablet with Tegra K1 or a Samsung Galaxy S7 are 3 to 4 times faster than the MediaCrap SoC:

Also don't forget that most smartphones downclock after a few minutes heavy use, the Switch doesn't.

Last edited by Conina - on 13 February 2018

Conina said:
Barkley said:

Even the Nvidia Shield tablet with Tegra K1 or a Samsung Galaxy S7 are 3 to 4 times faster than the MediaCrap SoC:

Well emulators are usually CPU bound unlike games that are almost always limited by GPU, though I guess that may not be the case on mobile.