By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter World vs. Splatoon 2, Horizon, and Zelda BotW Lifetime Sales.

Kyuu said:

Round 1: MHW combined vs. Splatoon 2
- A: Japan (MHW is PS4 exclusive in Japan)
- B: Worldwide

R2: MHW PS4 vs. Splatoon 2
- A: Worldwide
- B: Worldwide (Excluding Japan)

R3: MHW PS4 vs. Horizon

R4: MHW combined vs. BotW combined

Can Monster Hunter World clear? or will it lose most rounds? Don't shy away and leave your thoughts!

Round 1, A:  Splatoon 2.  This assumes MHW stays only on PS4 in Japan.  If it gets another big platform (like even Switch eventually), then I think it will go the other way.
Round 1, B: MHW.  Multiple platforms is such a huge advantage.

Round 2, A and B: Splatoon 2.  Splatoon 2 is going to have better legs, because Switch still only has a small fraction of what it's total install base is going to be.  PS4 already has a huge install base, so MHW sold a lot up front, but it will have worse legs.

Round 3: MHW

Round 4: A tough one, but I'm saying Zelda.

Around the Network

I think we're probably underestimating Splatoon 2's potential LT sales. The original had great legs, especially in Japan, until it was clear that the Wii U was going nowhere and was on the way out. With the Switch barely a year old and not sign of yearly installations like CoD, Splatoon 2 will be the primary shooter on the Switch and it's a complete monster in Japan. I mean, they already announced a vocaloid-type concert for Pearl and Marina from "Off the Hook." Not to mention that the game is the first home console game since 2010's Wii Party to reach the 2 million sales mark in Japan. Plus, Splatoon 2 still has a few more months of updates and another year of Splatfests that will keep the game in the minds of its playerbase and new Switch owners.

With Horizon, I think MHW will do very well compared to the former, and the former is already doing well, Around 6 million, right? I think MHW will get to 6 million sold (since the 6 million right now appears to be shipped).

With Zelda, I'm not entirely sure. There are people predicting that Zelda (whether it be Switch + Wii U or Switch, alone) could sell around 10 million LT. Does MHW have the legs to reach a mark it has never reached before? Plus, again like Splatoon 2, the Switch is growing in install base so there's more likely of a chance for Zelda to continue selling really well, especially considering how much word of mouth can continue giving the game momentum.

Overall, MHW is doing well for itself and Capcom is to be commended for giving the game a bit of a push in modernization. Hopefully it'll continue to do well.

In Japan, Splatoon is beating out MHW because of it's crazy legs unless MHW gets ported to Switch.

Worldwide wise, MHW > Splatoon, Horizon Zero Dawn, Zelda

Kyuu said:

- A: Japan (MHW is PS4 exclusive in Japan)
- B: Worldwide

- A: Worldwide
- B: Worldwide (Excluding Japan)

R3: MHW PS4 vs. Horizon

R4: MHW combined vs. BotW combined

Can Monster Hunter World clear? or will it lose most rounds? Don't shy away and leave your thoughts!

Do you mean physical only or including digital? As the digital rate on MHW seems to be insane, this could change it.

Anyways:

R1A: This could be really close. Here physical vs. digital might be relevant. Splatoon might win physical only, MHW including digital.

R1B: Clearly MHW.

R2A: Probably still MHW. I'm not convinced Xbox and PC do a lot for Monster Hunter.

R2B: Even better for MHW.

R3: This one should go to MHW.

R4: Interesting. BOTW will end up the best selling Zelda, MHW the best selling MonHun. Still, Zelda has a bigger base. And you include WiiU-sales of BOTW. So this will go clearly to BOTW.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

R1

A : MHW

B : MHW

R2

A : Splat 2

B : MHW

R3 : MHW

R4 :  MHW

Around the Network

MHW is going to hit the 10 million mark easily with its current trajectory. I doubt Splatoon 2 will hit that mark and Horizon won't hit that mark either. Zelda could end up doing 15 million.

R1 A Splatoon 2
R1A B MHW

R2 both MHW

R3 both MHW

R4 BOTW

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

flashfire926 said:
Monster Hunter alreadly won 1B. It shipped 6 million copies in two weeks, while splatoon 2 is just shy of 5 million 6 months after launch.

No it didnt. Splat2 isnt going to stop selling. Going by your logic MHW would of outsold SM3DL and MK7 if this was 2012

- A: Splatoon 2 and it wont be close (like 1mil+ more)
- B: MHW (both will be close to if not surpass 10mil)

- A: Splatoon 2
- B: Tough ill go with Splatoon 2 butbMHW might take it

R3: MHW easily

R4: BotW, BotW is at 8.2mil. MHW selling faster bit Zelda gas better legs. BotW will sell 12mil minimum imo

1a: splatoon
1b:mhw
2a:mhw
2b:mhw
3:mhw
4:zelda

MH is doing surprisingly well out of japan(in Japan also, but it was not surprising). It can reach 10m+ww. 60% to 70% out of Japan and mostly on ps4.
I think Zelda going to cross 15m eventually.

Kai_Mao said:

I think we're probably underestimating Splatoon 2's potential LT sales. The original had great legs, especially in Japan, until it was clear that the Wii U was going nowhere and was on the way out. With the Switch barely a year old and not sign of yearly installations like CoD, Splatoon 2 will be the primary shooter on the Switch and it's a complete monster in Japan. I mean, they already announced a vocaloid-type concert for Pearl and Marina from "Off the Hook." Not to mention that the game is the first home console game since 2010's Wii Party to reach the 2 million sales mark in Japan. Plus, Splatoon 2 still has a few more months of updates and another year of Splatfests that will keep the game in the minds of its playerbase and new Switch owners.

With Horizon, I think MHW will do very well compared to the former, and the former is already doing well, Around 6 million, right? I think MHW will get to 6 million sold (since the 6 million right now appears to be shipped).

With Zelda, I'm not entirely sure. There are people predicting that Zelda (whether it be Switch + Wii U or Switch, alone) could sell around 10 million LT. Does MHW have the legs to reach a mark it has never reached before? Plus, again like Splatoon 2, the Switch is growing in install base so there's more likely of a chance for Zelda to continue selling really well, especially considering how much word of mouth can continue giving the game momentum.

Overall, MHW is doing well for itself and Capcom is to be commended for giving the game a bit of a push in modernization. Hopefully it'll continue to do well.

Zelda is already past 8m. I think it’s safe to say it will teach at least 12m LT.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won